4 year EggCamper refurbishment - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
4 year EggCamper refurbishment

Our EggCamper is always outside uncovered, so after almost 4 years it was time for some fix-up. This is what I have done and why.

1. Replaced both roof vents with Fantastic Fans (one of the originals had cracks in the dome).

2. Replaced spare tire cover ( original had several cracks).

3. Replaced city water connection plug (leash on original had broken).

4. Replaced shower drain (original was loose and leaking).

5. Painted frame semi-gloss black (paint was faded and showing some rust).

6. Installed diamond plate alum tongue box (black plastic box I put on was faded and ugly looking).

7. Installed water heater by pass valve system (so I don't have to keep disconnecting water lines from water heater to winterize with anti-freeze).

8. Replaced 2 vent caps (I broke one).

9. Painted A/C grill cover (was starting to show some rust).

Just trying to keep it simple but in good shape.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by artspe View Post
Our EggCamper is always outside uncovered, so after almost 4 years it was time for some fix-up. This is what I have done and why.

1. Replaced both roof vents with Fantastic Fans (one of the originals had cracks in the dome).

4. Replaced shower drain (original was loose and leaking).

6. Installed diamond plate alum tongue box (black plastic box I put on was faded and ugly looking).

7. Installed water heater by pass valve system (so I don't have to keep disconnecting water lines from water heater to winterize with anti-freeze).

Just trying to keep it simple but in good shape.

Art
Great post, Those who are most satisfied with their trailers of any brand are those who take care of them. Neglecters soon become complainers.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Great post, Those who are most satisfied with their trailers of any brand are those who take care of them. Neglecters soon become complainers.
Floyd, I really couldn't afford to buy a cover for my Casita right now, but after reading your post, I realized I couldn't afford not to.

Just placed the order.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I second Floyds comment, good post. A heads up to owners, Eggcamper and others, what might need attention. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Art,
I needed to do several of the same updates on our EggCamper. I don't think this is any different from other brands and I agree with Floyd. Some maintenance is a labor of love, and I have fun doing it.

Quote:
This one's on my "to do" list. The rear cover was damaged in a hail storm last summer. I did a temporary fix with 3M 4200.

Quote:
Did that after two years.

Quote:
Replaced this one and the fresh water fill cover is on my "to do" list.

Quote:
I've been touching up the frame on and off for awhile now.

Quote:
I did that some time back, but now I've added propane to allow more boondocking, so I replaced the water heater completely. The new one is a combo electric/propane and came with a bypass.

Quote:
9. Painted A/C grill cover (was starting to show some rust).
I reworked the AC cover, similar to the mod that cpaharley did with his eggcamper. I also closed off the three intake vents on the underside, and re-routed the intake so that it's only opened when the hatch is open. The original intake vents were opened up to the camper interior all the time. After updating the furnace to propane, I realized that the heater was fighting a losing battle with the three gaping holes feeding cold air into the camper all the time. This probably isn't a problem in the summer, but late fall, early spring it can get pretty chilly up here in the northeast.

BTW, Photos would be nice.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:35 AM   #6

Trailer: Eggcamper 2009
Art,
I'm interested in getting a tongue box for my EGG. What are the dimensions & how did you attach it to the tongue? Thanks for the great post on the needed fix-ups.

Denny O
Dennis O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #7

Registry
Tongue Box

Here is the tongue box that I added to my EggCamper. The is butted right up against the angle iron for the battery box. I had a black one before this one, but I prefer the way the white one looks. Also, the hardware on the black one was not stainless, so within a few months, I started to see rust. This one was a bit more money, but the hardware is stainless. If you look carefully you'll see an aluminum strap on the bottom inside. I drilled through the straps, through the bottom of the box and fastened the box with stainless 1/4-20 bolts and nylock nuts.

I got it here: http://www.toolboxes4less.com/polyme...x-1701679.html
Attached Thumbnails
TongueBox-1.JPG   TongueBox-2.JPG  

Old 01-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #8

The tongue box looks great and seems to fit perfectly. I plan to order one.
Also, I need to order a spare tire cover. What is the tire size? My EGG is in
winter storage.

Denny O
Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #9

Registry
According to the EggCamper web pages, the tires are 205-80R14.

Regarding the tongue box: The box is a tight fit. The lid opens fully, but does not tilt back far enough to stay open without a prop.

I should have also pointed out that you need to remove the two factory-installed angle irons before installing the box. The angle irons aren't structural; I believe they were intended to serve as a platform for a small generator.

You can mount the tongue box using the same holes left by the angle irons. With the angle irons removed, set the box where you want it on the tongue. You'll probably be able to see the old angle iron holes as light spots on the plastic floor of the box. If not try shining a light up from the bottom. Then, once you have the holes drilled in the bottom of the box, you can easily match the holes for the aluminum straps to the new holes in the bottom of the box.

Ron
Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tongue Box

Ron F,

It looks like you have a 20 pound propane tank in your box. Did you cut a hole in the bottom to make it fit?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm, I believe those are smaller 10lb tanks.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #12

Registry
Norm,
Two 11# tanks. An easy fit and it allows me to fill one at a time. I thought it would be better than a single 20# tank that would go empty in the middle of the night, leaving me without heat. At least when one tank empties, I still have 11# and I know that I have to refill the empty.

I added 2 inch round vents on the rear wall near the floor to assure that no explosive gases lingered in the box.
Ron
Old 01-12-2012, 03:25 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
One Tank

We are one propane tank people. Our propane tank is still about 40% full after two months on the road and we cook every day. So far we've been in RV parks so water and heat have been electric.

We typically don't run our fridge when driving because we only drive 3 -4 hours a day and the fridge maintains itself for that time period.

I've thought of replacing our steel tank with a single fiberglass tank so I could see the level.

My minimum goal is two batteries and one propane tank in the tongue box. I definitely like the idea of stainless hardware on the box.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
Registry
My new trailer only has one tank and I'm switching it out to a 25 lb fiberglass. Visual capacity and a little bit bigger than standard. Here is the one, I got it on sale with free shipping awhile back.
Lite Cylinders Propane Cylinders - Product - Camping World
Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #15

Ron, the information you game me is much appreciated. Looking forward to some spring camping.

Thanks,
Denny O
Old 09-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #16

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My new trailer only has one tank and I'm switching it out to a 25 lb fiberglass. Visual capacity and a little bit bigger than standard. Here is the one, I got it on sale with free shipping awhile back.
Lite Cylinders Propane Cylinders - Product - Camping World
Jim, Can these be refilled at any place that refills the older propane cylinders? Does the bracket on the hitch require any major adjustments to hold the newer slimmer-looking tanks in place?
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes they can be filled anywhere propane is dispensed, they fit inside the single 20lb bracket with some select few cuss words, but eventually worked. By the way, I still have it because I sold the camper before I installed it. It's for sale $50
Old 09-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
Thanks Jim. Wish we lived closer. $50 is a good price.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #19

Pennsylvania
Registry
We were just in Ontario last weekend for the Niagara Rally- maybe next year.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #20

Ontario
Registry
Ah Jim, it was so depressing...really wanted to go to the Niagara Rally (would have been our first) but we told our friend/trailer repairman when we gave him our wish list that we didn't need the trailer until 2 October. Hopefully, next year! Sorry about going off-topic....

Tags
eggcamper