Escape Trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2006, 08:25 AM   #21
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I have had my 05 Escape [plan B] since last September. I like to get away from people, so I tend to camp at Forestry sites[ Remote, no services] in British Columbia. I'm 6 ft. tall and have to crouch or sit to shower,but it beats having to jump in a glacier fed, steam,creek, river, or lake in early spring or late fall, to get clean. "I"can live with the size of the shower,it was not a high priority when "I" was looking for a trailer. I looked at the whole package,and it suited "MY"needs.
Now you know why we are hardpressed to answer questions like "which is the best?". They are ALL great trailers, so it just depends on each person's needs. Truly, my personal favorite would actually be a mixture of ALL of them. They each have something I like about them. The trick is to find the one that best suits YOUR needs, just like Erik did.

One thing that I've noticed since this forum started is that the majaority of us love the one we have. Sure, we'd like a few changes here and there, but, secretly, we think we have the best one. And THAT is the reason I know they're ALL great trailers and very thankful that this forum exists so we can all have a place to hang out together.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:43 AM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Roger is right, of course, about the complexities of auto versus RV sales and service; however, the difference is perhaps not so clear-cut. It certainly is possible for an independent shop to do just about any service any vehicle (although a $200 factory manual is often required), even though it is certainly easier to do this with trailers.

Independent auto shops and aftermarket auto parts suppliers continue to exist, and will for the forseeable future. Some complete vehicles are actually sold factory-direct (usually using engines from a separate major manufacturer), so that business model can work, for special vehicles and customers. The fact that cars made by companies which no longer exist don't have dealers anymore, and those cars can be kept functioning, is proof that life is possible without the dealer - it's just more difficult. My Boler lives on without Boler dealers, but so does my Triumph.

Although I need few auto parts beyond filters (I generally drive stuff that doesn't fall apart...), I have found that dealers very often need to order in the parts anyway, so the idea of stocking brand-specific parts doesn't matter much.

As Roger said: two business models, both of which can work. I wish Escape well in their new plan.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #23

An advertising flyer came yesterday from an RV dealer (Woody's), featuring the Escape. I checked, and they had one in the Edmonton showroom, so I went and had a look today.

I took some pictures, overall and of the parts which interest me; the Escape Trailer website has good interior shots, but I also look in cabinets and underneath. The unit in the showroom was Plan B (the one with a bathroom), with options including inside and outside showers, gaucho bunk, TV outlet, and dual propane tanks.

If people are interested, I can post pictures, likely tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
If people are interested, I can post pictures, likely tomorrow.
Yes please Brian, I'd like to see some pics
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #25

Escape Showroom Visit - Exterior

Here are the first few photos of the Escape which I saw in a dealer showroom yesterday. The more interesting ones will follow as I work my way through the raw images and render them suitable for posting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeFront_500.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1467
[*]window rockguard is open; dual propane tank option visible[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeFrontCurbside_500.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1468
[*]visible features include awning and outside AC outlet (travel trailer in front and monster 5th wheel behind obscure the details)[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeRear_500.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1469
[*]cropped at the top (shooting under that 5th wheel); battery case on end of frame; Made in BC, and yes, it's definitely at Woody's RV![/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeRearStreetside_500.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1470
[*]front front to back along the bottom, outside shower, DSI water heater, water service door, and shore power cord entry are visible (sorry, I didn't get the exposure right on the sunny side; that 5th wheel in the way again at the back)[/list](Edit on 2006 Mar 01 just formatting for readability)
Old 02-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #26

Escape Showroom Visit - Chassis

Next set of photos - this time of the important bits which hold everything else up.

Name:	EscapeTongue_500.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1472
  • Tongue area
  • dual propane tanks inline, instead of the more common across-the-frame mounting; rectangular closed box-section frame tubing, which looks to be about 1.5" wide by 3" tall; 2", 5000lb coupler; slight double bend visible to offset coupler height above general frame height

Name:	EscapeFrameFront_500.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1471
  • Front section of frame under body
  • frame rails form A-frame tongue; body forms complete shell (one-piece lower mould includes floor); front dinette post socket visible ahead of first floor crossmember (aluminum); body appears to be held by bolts through both frame rails and (at least) front crossmember (ignore the jacks in the back, they're on another trailer)

Name:	EscapeFrameAndSuspensionFront_500.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1473
  • Frame at front of axle
  • Step up from main section to rear section is visible (one rail height); bolt-on axle; more body bolts

Name:	EscapeFrameAndSuspensionRear_500.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1474
  • Frame at rear of axle
  • rear frame stepped up, allowing rubber torsion axle tube to mount at height which leads to horizontal suspension arm when sitting empty; brakes and wiring visible

Name:	EscapePlacard_500.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1475
  • Placard on streetside
  • GVWR = 1590 kg (3500 lb)
  • GAWR = 1590 kg (3500 lb)
  • ST205-75-R14 tires, 50 PSI cold (800 kg / 1760 lb capacity at 50 PSI)
  • Cargo Carrying Capacity 510 kg (1122 lb), calculated with fresh water tank full (91 kg/200 lb cold plus 27 kg/59 lb hot) and waste water tanks empty
  • Waste tanks full 102 kg (224 lb)
  • ... so the unloaded and dry mass is 962 kg (2116 lb), the freshwater tank is 91 L (24 USgal), the water heater is 27 L (7 USgal, supposed to be 6?), and the grey plus black tanks total 102 L (27 USgal)

Name:	EscapeNameplate_500.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1476
  • Nameplate sheet in wardrobe
  • Atwood 8012 furnace
  • Suburban SW6D water heater
  • Wedgewood DV20 stove
  • Dometic RM2354 refrigerator
  • 30A 110V electrical service
  • same GVWR, CCC and tire info as placard, plus...
    • "This vehicle requires a Class 3 hitch on towing vehicle" (why?)
    • Tongue Load Range 160kg (352 lb)
More to come from about the services (plumbing, etc) and interior, another day...
Old 02-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks Brian! I'll add all of these to the Escape Album...but NOT tonight
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Cool

Thanks Brian.
We are Escapeowners.Our trailer is number 35, we took delivery in January 2005.
Happy campers, thats us.I can not post pictures yet so I really appreciate the work you have been doing here Brian.Our rig is set up slightly different with the propanetanks side by side.Installed an extra battery in a wider tray, also on the tongue.We are towing with Ford 150 4x4 so weight on the tongue is not a problem.We also have the bag awning, which should be good for a few years but will eventually replace it with the new Fiesta model.
Can not say enough good things about Reace and his crew.We were lucky enough to practically see our trailer being built, we realized at the time that it sure interrupted their production but we could make changes as they went along.
We are very happy with our trailer, it is perfect for us two and a Wirehaired Foxterrier (puppy).Been out for eight days down the State of Washington, home for a while to see the dentist and leaving next week for a couple of weeks on the Oregon Coast.The weather will probably be the same as Vancouver, but the scenery is different and we get to spend time in the great out of doors.Our unit is Plan B with the bathroom which is a blessing at two o'clock in the morning. We seldom use the shower since we stay mostly in State or Provincial Parks, but it is nice to have when boondocking.
Appreciate all the great information on this site and we are still learning.
Thank You people.
Allan and Raili in North Vancouver.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
So NOW we can expect you two to show up at out Glass Egg Convention at the Fort Campground in Ft. Langley on the May long weekend, HUH
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #30

Escape Showroom Visit - Services

Name:	EscapeRearStreetsideServices_500.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1502
- Rear Streetside[*]water heater door, water fill (has pivoting cover in door to leave hose entry slot open with door closed), and power entry[*]freshwater tank drain visible under body[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeFreshwaterTank_500.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1503
[*]under floor behind axle[*]drain on streetside[*]tank spans frame rails, held there by a surrounding bracket which supports the steps along the front and back (long) sides of the tank[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeWaterHeater_500.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1504
[*]under streetside dinette bench[*]electrical panel and service cord behind[*]water pump also under bench, ahead of water heater[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeOutsideShower_500.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1508
[*]at front of streetside[*]cable TV input beside it (see Andy's post, below) - I thought this might be the city water fitting, but a closer look at the rear service area water fill door shows a place for a hose, so that is presumably a dual hose fitting and tank fill port[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeGreywaterTank_500.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1505
[*]ahead of axle, between frame rails like freshwater[*]shower drain into front side visible[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeDrains_500.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1506
[*]greywater drain from back side of tank[*]blackwater tank straight of out above-floor-mounted black tank[*]streetside of trailer[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeMonitor_500.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1507
[*]above stove[*]tank levels and battery voltage[/list]
Old 03-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 Escape B
Nice job, Brian. If memory serves, the outlet beside the exterior shower is for cable.

Andy
Andy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #32

I've corrected the cable inlet description (in my Services post), and added some tank sizes (in my Chassis post).

Still to come: eggshell details, and a demo sequence of the flexible sofa/dinette/bunks front gaucho...
Old 03-01-2006, 05:19 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 Escape B
Great stuff Brian. BTW, the water fill door cutout is actually a clever, riveted tab that pivots out of the hose's way.

FYI, the blue decal trim is for 2006 models. My 2005 has silver/gray decals and the 2004 has red.

Andy
Andy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Great photos! I really appreciate you posting them. I bought an Escape without ever seeing one, and still haven't as it needs some work done before I pick it up. These pictures are the best views of this brand that I have seen and are helping me understand what equipment I need to get it home and up my steep driveway.

I am looking forward to getting my trailer and taking the kids camping. Thanks again for your efforts.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #35

Escape Showroom Visit - Body Shell Details

Another (next to last, I think) installment...

Name:	EscapeDoorHinge_500.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1525
[*]upper hinge shown; lower hinge similar[*]photo taken with the door swung wide open against the body[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeDoorLatch1_500.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1526
[*]two views taken with the door swung wide open against the body[*]edge of door forms deep groove to surround seal (noticeable in first view)[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeDoorStrike_500.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1528
[attachment=1991:attachm
ent]
  • Door Strike and Frame Area
  • belly joint trim is visible, but no joint is evident in the door frame area (I don't know how)
  • inside of door opening is surrounded by a fiberglass frame
  • latch strike is mounted though weatherstrip (photography from inside is fuzzy, not the hardware)
  • same type of seal normally found in automotive door applications

Name:	EscapeWindowFront_500.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1531
[*]front window with cover on continuous extruded aluminum hinge[/list]Click image for larger version

Name:	EscapeCanopyMount_lower_500.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1532
[attachment=1997:attachm
ent]
  • Canopy Mounting
  • lower and upper mounting areas for rear arm of canopy, plus inside of lower mount
  • inside shows plywood backing plate held in fiberglass "pocket" (focussed on wrong point, so plate is fuzzy; other wooden parts are curbside dinette bench top of sheathing material raised for photo, and solid wood brace)
Attached Thumbnails
EscapeDoorLatch2_500.jpg   EscapeDoorFrameInteriorUpper_500.jpg  

EscapeCanopyMount_inside_500.jpg   EscapeCanopyMount_upper_500.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 03-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #36

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Great photos! Do you have any of the galley area drawers?
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Hi Brian

Wow.....I should hire you on as a marketing consultant! I appreciate you taking the effort to provide these detailed photos to the forum. I am curious what the sales people thought while you were going about taking all these photos.

If you are interested, I have some photos of the demolding process that could accompany these photos for interest sake as to how the shells are built. If you don't mind, I would prefer to send them to you and let you post them as I don't think I could do the same job you did.

Reace
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #38

Quote:
...Do you have any of the galley area drawers?
I had not posted any interior photos because the Escape Trailer website has a good set attached to the layout descriptions, but the Plan B kitchen lower cabinet is not clearly shown, so here's the only one I have...

Name:	EscapeKitchen_lower_640.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1541

The left (rear) lower side has a shallow cabinet in front of the fenderwell. That's the furnace on the right side.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #39

Quote:
... I am curious what the sales people thought while you were going about taking all these photos.
My usual approach to looking a vehicles in showrooms includes getting down on my hands and knees to get a good look at the important bits (suspension, etc), so I have learned to ignore strange looks from sales staff. I normally don't take pictures, but the staff didn't seem surprised at all that I was doing so. Maybe RV buyers are often eccentric...

Quote:
... If you are interested, I have some photos of the demolding process that could accompany these photos for interest sake as to how the shells are built. If you don't mind, I would prefer to send them to you and let you post them..
I am certainly interested in construction images, and I think others in the forum are as well. Reace, I'll send you my direct e-mail address separately.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #40

Escape Showroom Visit - Service Details

I was back at the RV dealer today to pick up some replacement circuit breakers for my Boler, and took a couple more photos of Escape details I missed the first time. The service doors were open on the outside shower and water fill, and here they are.

Name:	EscapeOutsideShowerOpen_500.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1543

Both show the riveted mounting in these views. As Andy explained, the water fill is a nice design with a pivoting bit in the water fill door is to allow the hose to be hooked up with the hatch closed for security.

I also opened up the electrical power centre, to see the AC side (circuit breakers on the left) and DC side (fuses on the right) distribution panels.

Name:	EscapePowerCentre_open_640.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1545
Attached Images

Tags
escape