Scamp Mattress Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp
Montana
Scamp Mattress Question

I've been sleeping in the bunk area of my Scamp but thinking about moving to the dinette area. Present cushions are too hard. Has anyone used a foam topper on top of the cushions? Or something else they would recommended? I'll probably leave the dinette in a permanent bed position. What do you use for bedding? Thanks.
ThomasD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:46 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We bought a Southern Mattress for our Casita. They may also make one to fit a Scamp.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #3

Name: Jeff T
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Midwest
Better Sleep

We keep ours setup as a bed full time and added a 4-inch memory foam mattress topper from Sams Club. Our 16 Deluxe has the big bed offered by Scamp and if I remember correctly we purchased a Queen size topper. In order to get it fitted properly we cut it down with an electric knife. (We found a cheap one at Walmart.)

If you layout the memory foam on a clean surface and position the cushions on top you can use them as a template to mark your cut.

We now get a great nights sleep....... we use regular full size sheets and just tuck the extra under the memory foam.
Jeff T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1977 Trillium 1300, 1980 Scamp 16
Ohio
Cut your own

We tore out the front bunks on our Scamp 16 and transformed that area into a two person dinette. Then we removed the original rear dinette cushions and purchased one of those 8" memory foam double bed sized mattresses that come delivered in a box (I seem to remember it cost about $160). We cut out a cardboard template to fit the rear dining area and used it to mark the foam mattress. We then cut the mattress to size using a common electric carving knife. We LOVE the result, and it's actually more comfortable than our bed at home!
Bobaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #5

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff T View Post
We keep ours setup as a bed full time and added a 4-inch memory foam mattress topper from Sams Club. Our 16 Deluxe has the big bed offered by Scamp and if I remember correctly we purchased a Queen size topper. In order to get it fitted properly we cut it down with an electric knife. (We found a cheap one at Walmart.)

If you layout the memory foam on a clean surface and position the cushions on top you can use them as a template to mark your cut.

We now get a great nights sleep....... we use regular full size sheets and just tuck the extra under the memory foam.

What Jeff said, except we got our topper at Costco. VERY comfortable with just the original cushions from 2005 and the topper. I agree that using an electric carving knife and the cushions as a template works great to get the back corners rounded to fit the shape of the walls (we have a Casita).
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:02 PM   #6

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
casita mattress fit a scamp?

Does anyone know if the Casita mattress offered by Southern Comfort fits a 13 ft Scamp?

I appreciate any informaiton. Thanks.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Does anyone know if the Casita mattress offered by Southern Comfort fits a 13 ft Scamp?

I appreciate any informaiton. Thanks.
Southern COMFORT? Hmm.. let me have a little drink while I write this reply...

I think that Southern Mattress Co. makes a Casita mattress and its worth a call to them with that question in addition to any feedback you get here.

Another option perhaps:
http://www.rockymountainmattress.com/casita-mattress

I have decided to forgo the mattress for my Scamp because I understand it makes it quite hard to get into the bench storage, which I need to do on a regular basis.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I made a cardboard template and took it to a local mattress store.
They made us a 2" memory foam topper and put a cloth case around it.
It was rather heavy and bulky to handle but gave us a comfortable bed.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #9

Name: DL
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Mexico
Memory Foam 1 inch works

We are both past 65, with the usual aches and pains. Our 2017 Scamp mattress was fine, but we had a queen 1" memory foam from our old camper. We cut it down to fit the specially ordered "large" Scamp bed in the dinette, which is roughly full size with rounded corners at the back, and find that very comfortable. I used ordinary utility scissors for the 1".
dlroyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp