Rat Fur pattern for a 13ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 11:04 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Rat Fur pattern for a 13ft Scamp

Hi campers! We have a 1976 Scamp 13ft and we have removed EVERYTHING from the Scamp including all of the rat fur / insolation so we could start over with a new floor plan and everything was in pretty bad shape.We have since painted the interior with a good primer and rustoleum paint and it passed the glow in the dark egg test because of the several paint layers I put on. Does anyone happen to know the sq. ft. of the interior? We are thinking about using a roll of thick vinyl flooring with a wood pattern to look like vintage paneling and didn't want to over spend on materials. ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated.
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Put the stuff back. Some of it is to hold up the ceiling, and the walls.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:32 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don't have the answer to square footage, but I'm wondering a couple of things. First, how will you fit vinyl into the corners without lots of unsightly seams? Second, without any insulating material, how are you going to control condensation on a cool night?

Glenn's point is that the shell requires support from the interior cabinetry to maintain its shape. Without it the shell will sag and bulge out in the middle, resulting in poor door fit and other issues.

You can support it during your reno with a 2x4 between squares of plywood on the floor and ceiling. In your finished layout, make sure to include floor to ceiling support, especially near the door. Cabinets can serve that function, or for a more open layout, you can fiberglass ribs to the shell to provide support.

But do think about some kind of insulation. You don't want condensation dripping from the ceiling while you sleep.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:18 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
same thing

jon I was thinking the same things if it was me I would put the cabinents back in the way scamp had them. I had a 40f converted bus the cabinent maker had made the cabinenets with the arch in them to fit the curve of the bus wall and ceiling.

that camper needs all the support it can get with no springs under it!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
[QUOTE=bobkatr1;684151 Does anyone happen to know the sq. ft. of the interior? [/QUOTE]

If I were doing your project, I would calculate the area the two sides, two end walls and the ceiling as if they were rectangles and then add a percentage for waste. You will have waste trying to piece in those compound corners. How much waste I suppose depends on how skillful you are. My best guess would be 10-20%.

You mentioned a remodel but didn't mention if replacing the structural support were in your plan. What the others said is right on regarding the need for support. Here is what will happen without it.

As you can see, the side of the trailer is bulging a good 5 inches. The roof was swayback as well. This is what my 16 ft. Casita looked like when I bought it. It happened after sitting for a long time without support.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #6

Registry
Many thanks for response. We do know we need to put some kind of insolation up for noise, warmth and condensation issues but we are still researching the options. We also are thinking about shaping wood for structural bones to hold the shape and the ceiling up. Ian...Proud Canadian with the 13ft Boler did an amazing job with his wood supports that were fiberglassed in place.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:09 AM   #7

Registry
We do have a 2x4 T in the middle of the ceiling for support. It sounds like we should put the kitchen and closet back for support. We do have the option if sleeping in the truck canopy ( 8 ft bed with high top canopy ) replacing the dinette with two comfortable chairs most likely small rv or from Ikea and putting countertop at the other end and taking the couch out.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
in our 13

in our 13f the whole inside of the camper is covered with insulation then the ratfur was put on then the cabinents and closet after this!

if it was mine I would do it this way. I wish ours had more insulation but I guess there wasn't a way to do it.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp