Is it possible to order an Oliver with a different interior color? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: TBD
Ontario
Is it possible to order an Oliver with a different interior color?

We really like the Oliver but with 2 BIG negatives (for us). One is the interior color - my DW hates the shiny white walls everywhere. She likes the more natural colors, something closer to the natural light wood. Does Oliver offer an option to choose our own colors? It wan't obvious by looking at their website or their brochure. Thanks!

Oh, and the other thing we don't like is the size of the side dining table - we prefer to keep the bed area as is, so the larger area is not likely be used as a dining area. The floorplan would have been perfect if the dining area can accommodate 4 people (well, its just two of us, but sometimes we need to sit side-by-side).

Other than these two, there are so many things I like about Oliver - compactness, 4-season friendly, ability to handle 4 batteries, good solar panel sizes, decent holding tank sizes, high quality overall, etc.

I'm also looking at the Escape 21 and now the Big Foot 25B21RB as well.
yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Good luck with the interior colour, John. I was seriously looking at an Oliver 5 years back, and the institutional look of the gloss white walls was not appealing to us either. I had asked Oliver if they would do a more appealing colour, I realized that wood was out due to their manufacturing process, but was told I could only have the white.

Who knows though, they might be willing to do another warmer colour now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you are willing to pay the extra cost I'm sure they will do it. They've done black and Red in the past. If I remember right.... it was a lot of extra labor.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Based on your wish list it seems that the Escape 21 or Bigfoot will fit the bill. Besides the rear bed model, Bigfoot also has a front bed layout. They're also a little wider. It'll be interesting to see which one you choose. Hope you keep us posted.

I agree with Jim, Oliver will probably be reluctant to provide a different color inside. They did however offer a painted exterior onetime.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #5

Anyone remember if the red and black oliver's were painted or was the resin colored in making the shell's? Going on my sorry memory I thought the resin was dyed for the color.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #6
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Anyone remember if the red and black oliver's were painted or was the resin colored in making the shell's? Going on my sorry memory I thought the resin was dyed for the color.
Good question Ken. I just assumed it was painted. Regardless and cost aside, the ideal exterior finish would be painted IMHO.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Anyone remember if the red and black oliver's were painted or was the resin colored in making the shell's?
They were Red and Black on the outside, but white on the inside weren't they?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
If you are willing to pay the extra cost I'm sure they will do it. They've done black and Red in the past. If I remember right.... it was a lot of extra labor.
I had debated this with them, and these were special production units. At the time I asked about an alternative interior colour, they just plain said they would not do it, it was not a matter of cost. But like I say, that was about 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
They were Red and Black on the outside, but white on the inside weren't they?
Yes, pretty sure this is right.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #9

And they area shell nested in a shell. So I think two can be colored different. Hopefully Robert will chime in and set us straight.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Probably just like Ford in the old days... you can have any interior color, so long as it's white.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The use of "bright white" as a standard trailer color just stumps me, especially when it comes to interiors. I agree that the look is harsh and institutional. It was only by the merest chance that I happened to buy a Trillium in the original blessedly soft cream color, inside and out. But even the Trillium's most recent incarnation has gone to the same white.

How much more expensive can it be to put a little pigment in the Gelcoat?

I'm especially surprised that Oliver has so far chosen to stay with the white. That trailer is otherwise a big step above the norm, design-wise. But I think that the color inside will drive customers to instead buy something with a wood-based interior, just because it "feels warmer".

Something a little more feng shui in the interior color department might prevent such defections.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
AFAIK the interior shell is white, BUT the accent pieces, moldings can be wood as well as the cabinet doors if the mirrors are too much.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #13

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
Based on your wish list it seems that the Escape 21 or Bigfoot will fit the bill. Besides the rear bed model, Bigfoot also has a front bed layout. They're also a little wider. It'll be interesting to see which one you choose. Hope you keep us posted.

I agree with Jim, Oliver will probably be reluctant to provide a different color inside. They did however offer a painted exterior onetime.
I agree that on paper, Big Foots are more suitable on my needs except:

- Its wide and tall. Its frontal area is much bigger than the other two and consequently mileage suffers. Its not the end of the world but I prefer better MPG.
- Its heavy. I will need to step up to a full size SUV like Tahoe, Sub or a Expedition. Not sure if I'm ready for that yet.

Problem with Escape 21:
- No space for 4 batteries
- No space for two large solar panels. Best they can do is 95wx2.
- Might be least well insulated of the 3, although it might be enough for me. We like camping during leaf seasons so overnight, it goes below zero.

I'm still debating.....
Old 03-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #14

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
AFAIK the interior shell is white, BUT the accent pieces, moldings can be wood as well as the cabinet doors if the mirrors are too much.
I thought about this too. Escape 21 is white as well after all. But there's much more wood in the 21 that we don't mind some white in the trailer. When we look at the Oliver, we feel we are inside a public washroom or a hospital. Too cold.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2009
Interior color and table size

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhbae View Post
We really like the Oliver but with 2 BIG negatives (for us). One is the interior color - my DW hates the shiny white walls everywhere. She likes the more natural colors, something closer to the natural light wood. Does Oliver offer an option to choose our own colors? It wan't obvious by looking at their website or their brochure. Thanks!

Oh, and the other thing we don't like is the size of the side dining table - we prefer to keep the bed area as is, so the larger area is not likely be used as a dining area. The floorplan would have been perfect if the dining area can accommodate 4 people (well, its just two of us, but sometimes we need to sit side-by-side).

Other than these two, there are so many things I like about Oliver - compactness, 4-season friendly, ability to handle 4 batteries, good solar panel sizes, decent holding tank sizes, high quality overall, etc.

I'm also looking at the Escape 21 and now the Big Foot 25B21RB as well.
Hello,
I had the same thoughts about the Oliver. Interior white??? but it has turned out to be a non-issue for me. I personalized the interior with my own colors - flooring, bed cover, pillows, wall decorations, etc. If I get tired of my current color choices all I have to do is change the little things.
The side table was too little for what I wanted so I made my own. I bought a scrap piece of wood at IKEA - about 30" l by 24" w for the table top and placed it on the existing table with velcro. It can easily be removed to make the side area into a bed.
There is no perfect trailer for every person. Fortunately, I found the one that works for me and I hope yall are successful in finding "the one" that works for yall.
HJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #16

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenH View Post
Hello,
I had the same thoughts about the Oliver. Interior white??? but it has turned out to be a non-issue for me. I personalized the interior with my own colors - flooring, bed cover, pillows, wall decorations, etc. If I get tired of my current color choices all I have to do is change the little things.
The side table was too little for what I wanted so I made my own. I bought a scrap piece of wood at IKEA - about 30" l by 24" w for the table top and placed it on the existing table with velcro. It can easily be removed to make the side area into a bed.
There is no perfect trailer for every person. Fortunately, I found the one that works for me and I hope yall are successful in finding "the one" that works for yall.
Interesting ideas.... Were you able to do something about those small bench seats? I suppose you can make the table larger but not as useful if you can't sit in front of it...
Old 03-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #17

Bench seats and interior

I wondered if the larger table size would get in the way but it did not. There is still plenty of room to sit on either side with feet under the table. When I was looking for my dream trailer, all had something that wasn't quite like I wanted. Long story about how I ended up choosing my Oliver, but for me it was one of the best purchases I ever made. Also, one more comment about the interior, all I have to do is wipe it down with a soft cloth and I am done.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #18

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenH View Post
I wondered if the larger table size would get in the way but it did not. There is still plenty of room to sit on either side with feet under the table. When I was looking for my dream trailer, all had something that wasn't quite like I wanted. Long story about how I ended up choosing my Oliver, but for me it was one of the best purchases I ever made. Also, one more comment about the interior, all I have to do is wipe it down with a soft cloth and I am done.
How big is the extended table? Is it 50% bigger? Twice as big?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #19

These measurements are for a 17 foot Oliver.
The original table is 23 1/2 " by 24". The piece I place on top is 30" by 24". The new table top took away 3" from each sitting space but I prefer the larger table top to a bigger sitting space and it has not been an inconvenience with less sitting space. I am still comfortable and have the bigger table top that I wanted. I did not extend the top out into the aisle as this would be in the way.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I agree with you Francesca, the only difference in costs might be the price of a color pigment. The process of laying it up is all the same. Not sure if the makers of gelcoat pigments have "stock" colors available off the shelf which would make it a no brainer for color matching. We too looked at the Oliver in Quartszite and I was turned off by massive amount of white. That would be/is more than enough to keep me from buying one. Like someone here said, maybe the builders may read these comments and rethink production ideas.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver