Visited Parkliner and Lil Snoozy - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2016, 05:30 PM   #21

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Thank you all who want to educate me on how great propane is, but just remember the saying "A man convinced against his will remains unconvinced still". Freedom includes the freedom to be a d_m fool, as I used to tell my team back when I was a team leader at my work.
JFY- I haven't waited for him much, have done much with Boy Scouts and Florida Trail Association, took my 13 and 8 year old grandchildren on a camping trip north with the spring the whole month of June 2007, took my 18 year old grandson to D.C. for 2 weeks of sightseeing via AMTRAK and staying at the DC Youth Hostel in 2014. "CUPS" has been my theme song ever since it came out. I am NOT going to lie wistfully on my deathbed regretting that I never travelled as I wanted to. I will regret that husband hasn't travelled with me, but that will be his choice, and maybe our next spouses will be more in line with our desires.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #22

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Mitzi.....

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #23

Florida
Old 04-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #24

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
Thank you all who want to educate me on how great propane is, but just remember the saying "A man convinced against his will remains unconvinced still". Freedom includes the freedom to be a d_m fool, as I used to tell my team back when I was a team leader at my work.
JFY- I haven't waited for him much, have done much with Boy Scouts and Florida Trail Association, took my 13 and 8 year old grandchildren on a camping trip north with the spring the whole month of June 2007, took my 18 year old grandson to D.C. for 2 weeks of sightseeing via AMTRAK and staying at the DC Youth Hostel in 2014. "CUPS" has been my theme song ever since it came out. I am NOT going to lie wistfully on my deathbed regretting that I never travelled as I wanted to. I will regret that husband hasn't travelled with me, but that will be his choice, and maybe our next spouses will be more in line with our desires.
Mitzi...love your attitude! I will soon be traveling solo in a new Snoozy and hope we will meet on the road. Thanks for sharing and BTW, I agree with all electric. Snoozy folks will mount a small generator on the tongue as an option and you could eventually go solar down the road.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #25

Florida
Likes for Bernese and JFY!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
We get along fine without installed propane in our LiL Snoozy. I do use a propane camp stove for cooking outside and a LIL Buddy heater where we do not have electricity. Someone doing a lot of boondocking would miss it more.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Or someone who plans to travel around NA other than the US south would also really miss the propane.

Many of the nicest campsite you can camp in have no power here in the Pacific North West for example. Up here in BC for example few Provincial or National parks have power and if they do it is on a VERY limited number of sites. Lots of tree coverage also so it makes solar dependancy an issue at times as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #27

Florida
Planning on purchasing the Honda Generator for charging- have heard good things about their quiet running. I agree that for many of you propane is a valuable option, but just like when I went on my first backpacking trip in sneaks instead of hiking boots, and was told by the old veterans that I would really need hiking boots, I declined their wisdom. Still have never backpacked in anything but sneaks, and no problems with my ankles (relating to backpacking, at least!) And I doubt I would enjoy a propane furnace, thinking that small cube heater, an electric blanket and 3 cats would keep us warm on chilly nights.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Planning on purchasing the Honda Generator for charging- have heard good things about their quiet running. I agree that for many of you propane is a valuable option, but just like when I went on my first backpacking trip in sneaks instead of hiking boots, and was told by the old veterans that I would really need hiking boots, I declined their wisdom.
The funny part is I would be far more scared/concerned about packing around a generator around and the gas it requires to run than propane. But thats just m based on the number of deaths each year from incorrect generator use. Not to mention the ever increasing restrictions as to when and where you can use a generator. Its a lot of weight to carry around if your not able to use it at 10 at night when your battery is dead and you need heat.

Agree cube heaters work great I use one as well when plugged in but when not plugged in it doesn't work so well at keeping me warm.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:28 AM   #29

Delaware
Quote:
Planning on purchasing the Honda Generator for charging- have heard good things about their quiet running. I agree that for many of you propane is a valuable option, but just like when I went on my first backpacking trip in sneaks instead of hiking boots, and was told by the old veterans that I would really need hiking boots, I declined their wisdom. Still have never backpacked in anything but sneaks, and no problems with my ankles (relating to backpacking, at least!) And I doubt I would enjoy a propane furnace, thinking that small cube heater, an electric blanket and 3 cats would keep us warm on chilly nights.
Mitzi...Again, great minds...
I was at Woodstock (yes the original) so EVERYTHING is a step up!!!!
I still wear sneakers for light hiking but have upgraded to a running model.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #30

Name: Pat63
Trailer: Snoozy
Indiana
I do very little campground camping. 90% boondocking. I have owned a 16' Scamp and a 5th wheel scamp and we also have a small RV. So, I feel like I can do a comparison between propane v. No propane. The decision? I do not miss propane at all. I have the 12 volt truck fridge and a Honda 2000i if I need it. I have a 32' LED 12 volt tv, DVD player and radio. All of these work on battery power for upwards of 24 hours. When it's cold, I use more blankets. (I like sleeping in the cold anyway). In the morning, I start up the generator for about 20 minutes to warm up the inside of Snoozy with the ceramic heater and make coffee. (And, BTW, I am a solo 70 year old traveler because my husband does not like to camp). I love the Snoozy. It is so much easier to back up, hook up and unhook than either of my Scamps. Plus, I have a vehicle to drive when necessary. So, I don't miss propane at all.
phowey63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #31

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Mitzi, I tend to wear hiking boots for ankle support when hiking on uneven terrain. I've been told that once a person sprains an ankle, those muscles are never quite 100% again and turning the ankle becomes harder to avoid due to the stretched/weakened muscles. Since I earn a living on my feet, I figure hiking boots (comfy ones) are sensible. But for normal pathways in parks, I'll often wear a pair of running shoes (same thing I wear for work).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:22 AM   #32

Name: Melanie
Trailer: Lil Snoozy "Marigold"
Alabama
We have a Lil Snoozy purchased in October 2013. We used it a lot in 2014 and then had to slow down last year due to moving from NC to Alabama and the discovery that a new axle was needed. Because of "Life" we had to basically park it all of 2015. But now we have a new axle (leaf spring now instead of torsion), new tires, inside all scrubbed and freshened. The only thing left to do is for DH to replace the sink faucet which cracked (the old one is lying on my kitchen table). He says it is a simple repair and will do it as soon as new one arrives. Then we are going out for a short shakedown cruise to remind ourselves of the fun we had.

All this is leading up to say I also do not like propane and will always be an all electric gal. Any system has its advantages and disadvantages and we have chosen electric. Hope all enjoy whatever they have chosen and hope to see some other Snoozies once we get out again in a couple of weeks.
Melanie B in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #33

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I guess that many of us who grew up using natural gas or propane in our homes for furnaces, stoves, and water heaters may be more comfortable using propane in a trailer than those who's life experience may be limited to mostly electricity. Both are ok, but my own opinion is that combination of propane and electricity in a camper trailer gives you the most flexibility and options for camping in any situation. Ruling out one or the other will almost always limit your options.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #34

Florida
Melanie and Phowey- thanks for real-life experience report.
Bernese- One of my coworkers gave birth to her son at Woodstock and one of my adult Boy Scout co-leaders and local Bradley Childbirth instructors heard the baby's cries which were played over the PA system.
Just judging by hitch height my Chevy Van (1986, diesel) should be able to pull the snoozy. Got 26 mpg in 2013 between Greenville SC, Long Creek, SC and I75/FL Tpk home) Just need to figure out how to stop the leaks thru the rear doors- which didn't start until we had the damaged rear lock removed and a fresh one started. There are no local body shops- or RV shops, that will deal with such an old van.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #35

Florida
Mike, never turned an ankle on FL Trail, and I have hiked thru some nasty pig rootings that looked like a plow had come thru. I wore jungle boots (military grade) on my Boy Scout troops 4 trips to Northern Tier High Adventure Base- the rocks get downright slippery with algae/moss etc. That was 1997 BWCA, 1998 Bisset Manitoba, 1999 and 2006 Atikokan NW Ontario. You pays your money and you takes your choice. My only ankle injury was at work, stepping off a perfectly good curb into a parking lot. FTA is eminently do-able in sneaks
Old 04-05-2016, 08:42 AM   #36

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
What Dave says! Electricity plus propane gives one two sources of energy. We boondock almost exclusively. We dislike the noise and exhaust of generators. Solar works most of the time, but not all of the time. Running our fridge and heating the trailer on cold mornings is best done (for us) with propane. Wouldn't want to go without propane!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #37

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
Folks...........

Different strokes............

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #38

Delaware
Quote:
Melanie and Phowey- thanks for real-life experience report.
Bernese- One of my coworkers gave birth to her son at Woodstock and one of my adult Boy Scout co-leaders and local Bradley Childbirth instructors heard the baby's cries which were played over the PA system.
Just judging by hitch height my Chevy Van (1986, diesel) should be able to pull the snoozy. Got 26 mpg in 2013 between Greenville SC, Long Creek, SC and I75/FL Tpk home) Just need to figure out how to stop the leaks thru the rear doors- which didn't start until we had the damaged rear lock removed and a fresh one started. There are no local body shops- or RV shops, that will deal with such an old van.
HA, HA...Woodstock, indeed! That's great info. I'd love to pass that on to my Facebook friends who were all there with me.
As a bit of info regarding propane, I've had propane and natural gas in several homes. Since these systems are monitored by the supplier, I've not normally been worried about any leaks or issues until a couple of months ago. We have a neighborhood supplied by propane and experienced a leak just a few houses down from me. There were various departments monitoring this situation and several homes needed to evacuate. Quite the drama! The folks owning the home where the leak occurred just moved back into their home after 3 months of hotel living. LP and natural gas are very dangerous and I, personally, do not want to be the person responsible for the safety of me and everyone around me. What if I forget to turn something off? Such a big responsibility. Just my opinion.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #39

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
HA, HA...Woodstock, indeed! That's great info. I'd love to pass that on to my Facebook friends who were all there with me.
As a bit of info regarding propane, I've had propane and natural gas in several homes. Since these systems are monitored by the supplier, I've not normally been worried about any leaks or issues until a couple of months ago. We have a neighborhood supplied by propane and experienced a leak just a few houses down from me. There were various departments monitoring this situation and several homes needed to evacuate. Quite the drama! The folks owning the home where the leak occurred just moved back into their home after 3 months of hotel living. LP and natural gas are very dangerous and I, personally, do not want to be the person responsible for the safety of me and everyone around me. What if I forget to turn something off? Such a big responsibility. Just my opinion.
Mitzi...I've already chosen my colors and materials for the Snoozy. I'll try to attach the photo. Factory is painting the cabinets 'cause hate the oak!
Old 04-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #40

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Mitzi...I've already chosen my colors and materials for the Snoozy. I'll try to attach the photo. Factory is painting the cabinets 'cause hate the oak!
OK...where the heck is the photo? I can never figure out how to attach. UGH!

Tags
lil snoozy, parkliner