Portable shelter vs custom cover for Casita? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Portable shelter vs custom cover for Casita?

Good day. I am in the final planning stages for my upcoming Casita 16' Liberty Deluxe. I live in Santa Rosa, Ca which has moderate weather, no snow but moderate rain in the winter and many sunny days. I plan to park my Casita in my driveway which gives me little leeway in distance to the sidewalk. In fact it is 16' from garage to sidewalk. I initially considered a custom cover which costs about $600. I recently decided it may be better to have a portable carport with sides. My house is in a traditional neighborhood, tract houses. I would like to keep the Casita safe as well as unobtrusive. My thoughts are that a carport type structure , hiding the trailer inside might be better for anti theft as well as appeasement to the potential complaints of storing a trailer on my driveway. Technically the city does not allow this type of storage, as referenced by an Email to me after inquiry. The fact is however many neighbors store trailers, and boats in front of their houses without apparent incident.
Any suggestions from those of you in a similar circumstance would be appreciated.
One other problem is finding a structure of 16' in length. Most are 20' long which won't work.

Mark
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
The portable carport will succumb to UV's in time as they are only meant to be temporary. IMHO they don't look that great and I think would draw objections from your town/neighbors. A cover might work, or what about those awnings that mount to the roof and fold out to cover the top of the camper? Again, just for temporary use maybe only on the sunniest days. With that short of a driveway, your options are pretty limited.

I think this is a good way to go if you can get it approved: https://smile.amazon.com/Palram-Arca...ports+for+cars
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'll vote for the custom cover as well, for longevity, wind resistance, and appearance (to appease the neighbors). Neither is much help for security; you'll have to look to other products for that.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Covers.

I know beautiful Santa Rosa and its weather well. Farther south in Fresno it is hotter and the sun can ruin a shelter cover in a couple of seasons. But it can also ruin a custom cover in a few seasons. I have a wonderful custom cover which I seldom use because it is tight fitting and not easy to put on. The shelters can run $ 200 to $300, but I got one end of year sale for under $100. As it is 10 x 20 I replaced the top with a tarp I can replace every 2 years for $50 or less. No sides, but a garage on one side and a tall fence on the other minimizes the sun and maximizes security. It is mainly for sun shade.
Most cities with anti RV parking ordinances don't cite anyone unless neighbors complain, so you may be OK. But if trailers are not legal, it doesn't sound like a full shelter (fabric garage ) would be much more legal, especially if right up near the sidewalk. Maybe talking to neighbors and friends even more would give you a clearer idea about whether they or friends have done it , or would complain if you did it. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #5

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Portable Shelter.

That was there is NO contact between the camper and the cover.

Below is yet another example of the damage a quality cover can cause to a car. Yes your camper is fiberglass however it may have been painted at some point which you did not state.

You also can have mold issues with storage covers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1774.jpg   IMG_1800.jpg  

IMG_1947.jpg  
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
It sounds like the area you want to park your camper might be within a setback area since you only have 16' available to the sidewalk. You may want to check with the city to confirm a portable shelter of any type can be set up within the required setback areas. They also have this paragraph about RVs; "Extended storage or parking. It is unlawful to use any required setback for the extended parking or storage of any mobile home, trailer, airplane, boat, other motor vehicle, or parts of any of those vehicles, or building materials (except building materials being used for on-site construction under a valid building permit); provided, however, these requirements shall not apply to a fully-operational vehicle parked in a driveway that is used on a regular day-to-day basis. Extended parking or storage, as used in this Section, means the presence for a period of 72 or more consecutive hours within the required yard or setback area."
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I've thought about this several hours

Honestly, neither is a good solution. I don't live with an HOA or where there are Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions, beyond the city's, but this situation is why some prefer them. I am sorry I can't support either.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

Name: Nelson
Trailer: 2017 16' Casita Liberty Deluxe
California
I picked up my 16' Liberty Deluxe a month ago and it fits nicely in my two car garage along with my wife's car.
Maybe you could store the Casita in the garage and park a car (covered) in the driveway.
On your return trip from Rice, TX., I highly recommend the route through Albuquerque to Flagstaff to Bryce Canyon to Ely to Reno then home.
Nelsonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Or you could see if it is possible to have a contractor put up a permanent carport or buy a DIY metal carport kit. That would possibly add to the value of your home as an offset to the expense of a permanent structure.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #10

California
Thank you all for your help. I am including some pics of where the Casita will live when at home. There are no regs other than the city. I do believe that neighbors complaints are the catalyst for a visit by the city. That being said, my wife finally complained of a large boat in the street but it did not elicit a response. Hmmmmm?

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
driveway 1.jpg   driveway2.jpg  

driveway3.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #11

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I would get a Calmark cover. Since you will be in violation of city regulations, you may have to move the trailer to other storage at any time. The cover could still be used in a storage lot. The temporary carport, IMO, is also more likely to cause complaints from the neighbors. Just a guess, but your city may have those rules to discourage folks from using their driveways for storage and then parking their cars on the street. I think you'll be very pleased with the Casita!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I would get a Calmark cover. Since you will be in violation of city regulations, you may have to move the trailer to other storage at any time. The cover could still be used in a storage lot. The temporary carport, IMO, is also more likely to cause complaints from the neighbors. Just a guess, but your city may have those rules to discourage folks from using their driveways for storage and then parking their cars on the street. I think you'll be very pleased with the Casita!
Shelby, I am inclined to agree. If the coppers come down on me, I have the option of having concrete poured on the other side of the front yard. I would have to take out several plants and 2 trees, knock down a fence and install a gate, but it could be done. Would cost more than $100/month for storage fees, but the Casita would be close to it's nest.

Mark
Old 06-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #13

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
Mark, how much would it cost you to raise the header on the garage door and add a panel? Can't get much closer to home than INSIDE the garage.

I am considering this option myself. Old garage door has been begging me to replace it for some time anyway.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:12 AM   #14

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandCallie View Post
The portable carport will succumb to UV's in time as they are only meant to be temporary. IMHO they don't look that great and I think would draw objections from your town/neighbors. A cover might work, or what about those awnings that mount to the roof and fold out to cover the top of the camper? Again, just for temporary use maybe only on the sunniest days. With that short of a driveway, your options are pretty limited.

I think this is a good way to go if you can get it approved: https://smile.amazon.com/Palram-Arca...ports+for+cars
:I would think the CP1020 would be a better cover and is way cheaper than that fancy model, what you need a cover from is the heat, sun, as u do not get much rain or snow it is to keep the trailer from melting away in the heat. Though I would think 4 posts would add a bit more strength and what is the wind there like, if not anchored to the ground then what happens.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Mark, how much would it cost you to raise the header on the garage door and add a panel? Can't get much closer to home than INSIDE the garage.

I am considering this option myself. Old garage door has been begging me to replace it for some time anyway.
I have never considered that option. A nice new roll up door might be nice. That would mean I would have to move the wife's car outside.

Mark
Old 06-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:I would think the CP1020 would be a better cover and is way cheaper than that fancy model, what you need a cover from is the heat, sun, as u do not get much rain or snow it is to keep the trailer from melting away in the heat. Though I would think 4 posts would add a bit more strength and what is the wind there like, if not anchored to the ground then what happens.
Stude
Stude, what is the CP1020? as far as rain, I guess "much" is a relative term.

Mark

Tags
casita