King Dome Satellite Receiver - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
King Dome Satellite Receiver

We do not have satellite tv at home or have a receiver on our trailer, but may in the future(why, I don't know). Has anyone used the King Dome and is it worth the cost? Seen some reviews that said reception is not good in shady areas. Guess that makes sense.
Wondering if a portable one would be a better option.

Stan
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
Satellite TV is expensive. A Kingdome requires another hole in the roof. So in my opinion think portable. I see them a lot these days. We don't even have cable at home and are content with Air TV for free plus Netflix. On the rare occasion we have cable at a campground we can't find much worth watching.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita and Coleman
West Virginia
DISH

I LOVE DISH you can get dish to go and cancel any time and get a portible one for $350.00 from dish and change local chanels any time no charge
i have one for 5 years and love it
4camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #4

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I have the Dish Tailgater and love it. It aims itself and you can put it just about anywhere. But the subscription (for the full package) is $80 a month. But it's month to month with no contract. So you can turn it on or off at will - on for the season, off for the winter if you like.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The basic pay as you go Dish package runs around $50. It is not the same as any of the home packages and it did not include the Fox News channel. The Dish rep. said I could get the $35 basic home package which included Fox News all I had to do was ask for it. I am not hung up on Fox News but by asking about it after the contract dispute I found out you have more pay as you go programming options.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #6

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
Solar panels

I have a 16 ft Scamp which we try to remain off grid whenever practical. Can a solar panel be used to power a 19"120 volt flat screen TV. We only use it to watch DVDs for evening entertainment.

Sorry about intruding on your Satellite conversation, but I'm new at this whole forum business. Do I need to start my own thread?
Jim
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Sure it can. A small TV like that is around 25 to 45 watts. You'll need a small inverter to create the 110V power, as well as a storage battery of course.

But there are lots of TV's out there that are native 12v and you could just run without an inverter. That's how I'd go - simpler, cheaper and less power hungry. Jensen brand is pretty popular in RV's. They are usually 12v, and have hardened circuitry to stand up to the motion and vibration in RV's.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:09 AM   #8

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
SlinBox 350 suits me perfectly.

I connect permanently the device on my network to the house and no matter where I am, as soon as I have a WIFI connection furthermore of 2Mg and more, I can listen to as at the house.

Slingbox.com (Canada)

You have a large choice of country to connect.

You can listen to your broadcasts of your portable, tablet or phone.

The first condition is to possess an access high speed to the house as well as to the distant place where from we connect.
For me that is enough for me.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:49 AM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: Airstream International CCD 28
Florida
I have 24" 12v/120v combo TV I bought from Trucker Supply. Works great and draws little battery. Trucker supply sites are a good source for 12V accessories. I may be wrong but I believe a 12V appliance draws less current from the battery than plugging a 120v device into the inverter.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I have 24" 12v/120v combo TV I bought from Trucker Supply. Works great and draws little battery. Trucker supply sites are a good source for 12V accessories. I may be wrong but I believe a 12V appliance draws less current from the battery than plugging a 120v device into the inverter.

Small inverter efficiencies run 80-90%, so you do lose some juice in the process of getting 120VAC from 12VDC. A more efficient inverter would cost more than a new tele!

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver