I Will Always Miss Our Oliver Elite II - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #41

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi Roger,

My bad. You mentioned the Kodiak chassis in a previous post. I have watched You Tube videos from Born Free about it. WOW, Super-C Nice!!!

Take care,

Dean
Thanks! Yes, until this year, the 32RQ was both the largest and subsequently, most expensive coach they'd ever built. Now they make a 33' on the Ford F550 chassis that has slides and has a substantially higher sticker price than what mine was in '06.

Given the prices of the new ones, I'm even more pleased with mine.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #42

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm interested in the 'more space when I retire' theme. One thing we have not kept track of in our 15 years is the amount of time, outside of sleeping we spent in our RV over the last 15 years.

On our trip to NL I think I'll monitor RV usage.

As a rough guess I would say the following:

1. 8-9 hours, sleeping (9 PM to 6 Am),
2. 2-3 hours, breakfast and morning organization (6AM to 9 AM)
3. 3-6 hours, daily exploring
4. 1 hour shopping
5. 1 hour life maintenance (laundry, trailer maintenance, ...)
6. 2 hours reading/writing/computer
7. 1-2 hour preparing and eating supper

Outside of sleeping a small percentage of the time is spent in the trailer.

I also find it interesting that even our RV fulltimer friends even in their rigs that could fit 3 or 4 Scamp 16s in their huge volumes, tend to do their friend entertaining outside or better yet entertaining each other by exploring new place together. Traveling in a trailer is different than one's previous life, at least for us.

Even when we're traveled for 11 months we did not consider the RV a home style living space. It was a space to support a different lifestyle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #43

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Cindy and John and anyone else who snores or has a snoring mate see your doctor about a sleep study. One of the giveaways of sleep apnea is loud snoring. I snored and my wife made me get a sleep study. I did. I have sleep apnea. When I got my cpap my life changed because I wasn"t napping very often. Her life changed too because I wasn't keeping her awake. Sleep apnea is very bad for one's health and can be life threatening. As for going to a larger trailer I went from a 17 ft EggCamper to a 19 ft Escape. The EggCamper had a dinette that would seat two and sleep one when made into a bed. The problem with the bed situation is that it's too short to sleep an adult. When my adult son went with me he had to sleep on the floor which made getting from the rear bed to the front bath a challenge for me in the night and in the dark. Bigger trailer by two feet which is a big improvement in my situation. I'm presently wintering in it in Arizona with no problem. My girl friend is coming out in about three weeks and we'll live in it until we get back to MI and IN around the first of April. As long as what you have works for you, end of story. as many people say YMMV.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #44

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Connie says has she been tested for sleep apnea? Perhaps a CPAP machine would solve the problem. It helped Connie. Her new machine is quieter an more comfortable.
Both of us sleep better.
I redesigned the 16' Scamp for twin berths not for the snoring (although that was a secret design goal of mine). The prime reason was so that one could go the the bathroom without crawling over the other and waking them up as well.
It becomes more important as you get older!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #45

Name: wilberthinkle
Trailer: Palomino
wilberthinkle
Get a My Pillow and it will stop the snoring. It worked for my wife
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:07 PM   #46

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
Sadly, I'll soon be posting my Oliver Legacy Elite II for sale. I simply need a larger trailer for full time living at my jobsites. Last week I purchased an Arctic Fox 24J and will take delivery next week. Built in Oregon, they have an excellent quality reputation as well as built for cold weather service.
Wow, that is a real shame, I watched the long video for the 24J and it is roomy and loaded with cool features but the construction is pure Stone Age with exposed wood and loose insulation. It will take a ton of work to keep it nice.

Northwood | Arctic Fox 24J

I had an "Oregon built" Nash, a 1991 27Y, for four years and it was an absolute nightmare. The horrendous build quality and many structural issues drove me nuts... Raw unpainted frame, ladder screwed into sheet metal, stripped screws, water leaks, screwed up roof, etc etc. The guys that stapled mine together had no clue what "rain" was, apparently, due to the water intrusion I had. I hope your Northwood experience is orders of magnitude better than mine was. I'm sure the quality control has improved in 25 years... But I will never buy another.

Please do a really thorough pre delivery inspection. And don't sell your wonderful Ollie prematurely!

I appreciate your Oliver videos and blogs, they are professionally produced and extremely informative.

John Davies
Spokane WA
John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #47

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
25 years is an eternity in the RV biz. Alot has changed with their construction techniques.

So far so good with the AF. The build quality is superb. The cabinetry is all residential grade and very sturdy. It's very warm and appears easy to keep that way. No drafts that I can tell.

The tow home went easy and pulls really well with the Anderson hitch I bought for it. There is just a ton of storage - 3 outside compartments and a huge pantry inside. A kitchen big enough that it's very much like home. Twice the refrigerator space and an oven. The big bonus is a 10 gallon water heater and a large bathroom. It's a real luxury.

The Oliver is sold. It sold in a single day and I got the price I was asking. He's picking it up Wednesday. It's an ideal trailer is you are going to be on the move or for short trips. Not for full-timing in one place.
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver