Campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #1

Name: Jeanette
Trailer: Trailswest Campster
California
Campster

Trailswest maiden voyage, proud of new hubs and tires.
Picked up new license plate from DMV. Very easy to pull, defiantly will need some weight on the tongue. Avoided the freeway routes.
I work best with a project list and look forward to making this a Campster again.
This is my first attempt posting a photo, fingers crossed. More to come!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2005.jpg  
Jeanette P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #2

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
Congrats on your find.
The Campster is a great little camper.
We find it easy to tow and simple to camp with.
Can you post some pictures of the inside?
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Great to see another one. Looks good from this angle. Keep us posted and be sure to ask questions.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:37 PM   #4

California
Thanks! It rained today, look forward to taking photos and getting some work done tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
your campster

I like your rig I too would like to see more pictures but never ask me for any!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:06 PM   #6

California
Great day for photos of the Campster.
We have owned it a month and are planning to get it fixed up to camp this summer. Got paperwork sorted out, new tires, and hubs.
The photo taking gave me a new perspective and discovered the source of leaks when looking at roof. The galvanized vent for fridge and access door need new butyl tape, screws and bolts on pop top badly rusted and signs of leaking on underside. All windows need to be taken out, some broken glass, more butyl tape. I've decided to start at the top and work my way down.
Here is the good, a lot of the bad is obvious.
The hitch appears to be factory raised 2 in. ball, original factory rock guard
Pop top mechanism intact and works well. Canvas is in great shape but thread has rotted. I am a seamstress and inspired by Karins top she made. Have all cabinet draweres and doors in fair condition. When cleaning out the trailer I found missing door moulding and Formica table with leg that cleaned up nice.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3964.jpg   IMG_3884.jpg  

IMG_3883.jpg   IMG_3921.jpg  

Old 03-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #7

AND, you have the wheel covers. Pus, plus.

It looks good from the outside.

Did you mention the year? I am also curious about what it says on the serial number tag. State and number? There is so little history on these, I'm trying to piece together anything I can.

I have a copy of a sales brochure. It may be somewhere here under documents, but I'm not positive.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:21 PM   #8

California
Some interior photos
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3906.jpg   IMG_3899.jpg  

IMG_3900.jpg  
Old 03-04-2018, 09:30 PM   #9

California
Dave, I did downloaded a copy of sales brochure. Loved it.
The tag on back says state of California Housing but unable to read any thing else on it.
I am guessing the year 1972 by comparing the inside finishes that I have seen on other TWC. Formica, flooring color and stove top.
Previous owner used as storage shed for a long time.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #10

I'm guessing that the tags are state of original sale since mine is Washington and I've seen Idaho.

My Campster was gutted and rebuilt, as I suspect yours will be by the time you finish. Someone that had previously owned one said mine was better than the original.

I do not have the interior surface. Mine is bare fiberglass with zero insulation.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I don't know for sure what year my Campster is. But the vinyl on the floor and style of flange on the popup roof as well as the shape of the tongue structure are a match to yours. My windows are somewhat different so likely my Campster was not produced in the same exact year as yours. They look to be the same make of windows but I don't have an upright bar in the front window and my sliders only have one fixed and one moving section.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #12

Missouri
fixed up and then

well my math says this rig is now 56 years old you saved it and now are fixing it up as good as new.

will this go to 100 easily?

time will tell good for you

bob
Old 03-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
well my math says this rig is now 56 years old you saved it and now are fixing it up as good as new.

will this go to 100 easily?

time will tell good for you

bob
I'm thinkn 46. Not quite half way there.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #14

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
I love Campsters. Looks like a great project. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:02 AM   #15

California
KCorbin
The bar in front window is the rock gaurd, the window is fixed pane like yours. I have only seen one photo of side windows like mine.
I really appreciate your posts on your renovations. They have been very helpful.
Today I cut out damaged section of flooring at entry just as you had done.
Purchased a large tarp to cover up until I can get to bolts leaking on top.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #16

Missouri
insulation

Jeanette our 13f scamper has almost useless insulation we just fire up our wave 3 to high and heat up. we have made it to 17d you get to the minus stuff I don't think anything but the very high dollar rigs will do. I don't think any camper will work in N.D. for winter use!

I am following your project its exciting to see what fixers can do to their campers. fix them up better than new!

good luck

bob
Old 04-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #17

California
I have been working on Campster every week taking on small jobs, while working on home renovations. Home Reno will be completed by June. Then I can turn my full attention to trailer.
Removed pop top assembly, rotten bottom wood frame to be rebuilt. 1x2 pine, had a friend rip 32 degree angle cut off one edge that sits against fiberglass as original. I now suspect that the top swaying side to side was caused by a nut on rail backed off on one side. I was not able to see till it was off trailer. Carefully removed canvas by working a narrow chisel under staples. Took canvas to a mom and pop upholstery shop that does boat and auto work. Need two replacement zippers.
Est. $200.00. Will be completed this week. Considered many options for replacement, pleased to save original and finally make a decision.
Foam cushions measured and being cut, Free!
Decided to paint trailer since the top is off, so windows and vents off next.
Looking forward to finally scrubbing this dirty trailer inside and out.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:27 PM   #18

California
Campster

We continue to pick away on the trailer. The windows practically fell into my arms once the screws were removed. The butyl tape was so thin and dry. Removed broken glass for replacement. Ordered fuzzy window channel from vintage trailer supply. Removed vents, water fills. Went through a few drill bits in the process. Finally was able to spray out the inside and scrubbed with tsp! Looks so much better.
So excited until I realized the pile of stuff that needs to go back together. Panic set in. Will stop looking at my lists for now.
Will scrub the out side and make some small fb repairs as we get ready for painting. Decided on white, for resale. My husband viewed the Lil Snoozy video and fell in love. Noooooo! He agreed to wait a year. It’s uncharacteristic for him.
But it is a nice rig. Did I mention we live in San Diego? I think the first time he hits his head on door frame there will be no stopping him.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:41 PM   #19

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Different windows, all right.

What I did for weight was usually just carry the canopy up under the bed. Fits great, adds the needed tongue weight. I also had a spare tire carrier mounted to the front which added a bit more. No problems after that with weight distribution.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #20

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The title on my Campster is messed up as to its DMV assigned proper name abbreviation that was orginally given to the manufacturing company by the government. I just found a document from the Tin Can Tourist website that has the list of those names. For the Campster it is supposed to be "CAMPS".
Before 1981 there were no VIN numbers being assigned, instead they put the serial number of the trailer in that place on the forms. My serial number is 0012. At least they did get that number correct on the Title paperwork. I eventually want to stamp it onto the left side of the trailer tongue.

Somehow over the years an error was made and it got registered as a Cambo, they at least came close to getting it right with the first 3 letters being the same. I will no doubt at some time have an opportunity to get this corrected and now I have a document to prove it needs correction. http://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/docs/chapter_n.pdf?ga=t

This historic list from the DMV for these abbreviated names. It is part of the Oregon government website documents list. Just scroll down the list until you come to Campster. There is no listing for the Trailswest company, instead they were registed as "Campster". There is a Trails West trailer company but it is not related to ours. Our Campsters were manufactured in Oregon so that is the best state for finding this legal information.

Before 1981 there were no VIN numbers being assigned to these older travel trailers, instead they put the serial number of the trailer in that place on the forms. My serial number is 0012. At least they did get that number correct on the Title paperwork. I will stamp it onto the left side of the trailer tongue frame as is done with modern trailer frames.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster, trails west