uhaul window repair - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #1

Name: Lauren
Trailer: Uhaul CT13
Colorado
Cool uhaul window repair

Good morning,

My husband and I are attempting to replace the felt channel liner in the emergency window. We have the window that slides sideways, not up and down. Is there any way to replace this without taking the whole window out? I saw one post that took the whole window out and we are trying to avoid that. Also, does anyone know what the name of the gasket is that lines the window and where we could find it (not the big seal that holds the glass to the fiberglass). Is it the lock strip, the weather strip? (those are some names I've found on supply list online) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Lauren Walker
LbwDubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:58 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Couple questions for you Lauren. Do you have the new channel liner, and are you on the Facebook group. From what I've read on the Uhaul Facebook group there is no exact replacement and the closest one has to be trimmed some. I think it can be replaced without removing the glass. Haven't had to do it on mine yet as I have new windows. I should do the door window eventually. The rubber that holds the window into the trailer is referred to as "weatherstrip" and uses a "lock strip" to expand and secure it into place. Note that the curb side (door side) window weatherstrip has a fold in type lock strip that is part of the weatherstrip. The left side emergency window has a removable lock strip that you pull out so the window can be pushed out. However I'm thinking that is not the part you are looking for, you maybe want the rubber that sets against the glass at the bottom of the window?? There is a part that will work but I don't have the info on it. It is in the "files" section of the Uhaul Facebook group. When you install the new glass channel you have to cut new weep holes in it that match up with the slots in the window frame. They allow any water to drain to the outside rather than overflow to inside the trailer.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #3

Colorado
Thank you for the reply Bob.

Yes we do have the felt liner already, our friend gave it to us after he sold his uhaul. I think my husband is part of the facebook group so I will have him check there if they have any tips on how to replace it without removing the window completely. I think we are in need of the lock strip, what goes around the perimeter of the window, not just the bottom; although, do you need to bottom part if you pull the emergency window out? When we got our uhaul, the emergency tab had fallen off so we will have a harder time pulling that off I imagine if we need to push the window out to do this repair.

From some of the other posts I've read on here, there were 2 different model numbers suggested, AS-789B and AS 937A for the lock strip. Not sure if anyone chose one over the other for a specific reason.

I'll take some pictures and post so it is more clear what we need.

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #4

Colorado
My other question, is are you able to replace just the lock strip, or do you have to replace both the lock strip and weather strip?

Thank you,
Lauren Walker
Old 04-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #5

New York
The lock strip; it should go all the way around the weatherstrip on the inside of the window. A little gap at the ends is OK, like an inch or two. The tab is so that if you have to pop the window out in an emergency, you pull the tab, that starts the lock strip out, you then pull the lock strip out completely and push the window out. Now what kind of emergency would necessitate doing that; an angry bear is ripping the door off, or the trailer fell over onto the door side, I don't know. If the door latch is jammed it's easier to keep a screw driver in the camper, remove the screws, and push the latch out. If the pull tab is missing you can use a hook type tool or knife or screw driver or whatever to pull on the lock strip. If your weatherstrip is OK I would leave it alone. If you go to perfect fit.com, click on "weatherstrip", then find "self sealing weatherstrip" you can see what is available and what it looks like with the lock strip out. I used the AS1456 weatherstrip and 789B lock strip. If you only need the lock strip I don't know if what perfect fit has is the same as original. I have some of each that I can compare if you need to know. photo is a couple different hook tools, also can be handy when installing window with new weatherstrip, a task I compare to wrestling a snake.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0496.jpg  
Old 04-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #6

Colorado
From your description, seems like we just need to replace the lock strip; the weather strip still looks good and is intact. We have similar tools to the ones you pictured...I've also seen a lock strip tool that can be handy to guide it in with some oil/lubrication of some sort. We have the old lock strip remnants so I was going to measure that and see which of the two model numbers (AS-789B and AS 937A ) would be the best fit.

I agree, what emergency would warrant a quick escape out the window. Your examples were entertaining lol.

Thank you again for your help. I'll keep you posted with what happens, fingers crossed it goes well!
Old 04-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #7

New York
The lock strip tool is Lisle 47000. I compared an original piece of lock strip to a new piece of the #789. The original is slightly larger, both width and height. I measured the 789 at about .360" wide and the original at .380 wide. Perfectfit specs list the AS789 at .375 wide and the AS937 at .40 wide. I would probably go with the AS937, but hate to say as you have to buy 50 feet as I recall. Use liquid dish soap as a lubricant. The Lisle tool has 4 different size tips to choose from that come with it, actually 2 pieces, 2 sizes on each piece.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #8

Colorado
Awesome, thank you We are going to tackle that window next weekend. This weekend, new floor...

Tags
uhaul