Eggcamper Weight, Tongue Weight & Towing with Outback - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Eggcamper Weight, Tongue Weight & Towing with Outback

After shifting things around quite a bit, our 2012 Eggcamper tongue weight is down to 230#. The tonque weight was taken using the method in the Subaru manual, which lists a 200# maximum. The method is similar, if not the same as methods discussed on this site. But..Still not within specs for the 2014 Subaru Outback, but getting closer. I put it on a CAT Scale at our local truckstop ($10.50!) and the total loaded weight as we will have traveling is 2380#. (2380# is with 6 gallons total in all the water tanks)And, that is traveling light. If I subtract the weight of all the personal items, it still does not reduce to the 2000# listed on the Eggcamper website. Maybe the 2000# is without any extra's like A/C, mattress, etc.

If I had thought a bit more, I could have gotten the weight of the tow vehicle and the camper for one $10.50 charge on the segmented CAT scale. I already had the trailer disconnected and moved the car to the next segment when I had them take the trailer weight, so I could have weighed the car on its' segment also. Just a tip for someone else to remember my mistake-ha!

Then, I took it for a 30 mile drive thru traffic, up to 65 mph, up steep hills, and down curvy, narrow roads on the windiest day of the year , (so far). It towed really well. Very stable. No acceleration or tail wagging problems.

So far, so good. Now to get that tongue wt. down to 200# without wrecking the current nice tow attributes.

Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
At least one board member has commented on the service bills incurred by towing at (but not over) the Outbacks towing limit. That's a "Word to the Wise".

Goes back to the earlier, and oft repeated, comment; "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do something".....!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
subaru

We are thinking about a newer car and Subaru is on our short list . We have friends that had Lexus 350 and the other has had Mercedes and both consider the newer Subaru station wagon Outback one of the best cars they have ever had . My one friend used to buy cars like some change underwear he has had mini coopers,Mercedes ,Honda's, Mazda , etc etc . They both are getting over 30 mpg on highway no towing for them . Good Luck in your Quest for under 200 lb tongue wt. .I would love to see the Subaru diesel .I also wonder what kind of mileage the flat -6 gets with the new CVT tranny ??
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #4

Name: Richard
Trailer: Currently shopping
Washington
I did a lot of research around this issue, since I had a 2013 Outback (which was totaled by my ex) and now have a 2014 Outback. The chassis is the same as a 2012, though rear suspension substantially changed in 2013.

Ultimately what I found after much research, contacting the factory support people, and interviewing the service manager at my (5 star rated) Subaru dealer is:

The weight capacity of the rear of the vehicle is not designed to exceed 200 lbs, structurally, and ought to be less, like 160 or less. Keep in mind you can have tons of force bouncing up and down on the hitch as you tow and that is pulling on the rear floor of the car and monococque structure.

The CVT will wear excessively - not may, will. When my 2013 was wrecked, the CVT was punctured by an axle shaft. The cost of the new CVT exclusive of installation is $9400. That is just for the part. It can't be rebuilt. Installation is another $2000.

The clutches in the transfer case are not designed to take a load that exceeds the towing limit defined by the factory.The transfer case costs around $1800 and costs about $600 for installation.

What you risk by pushing the upper limit is very, very high cost of repairs and potential safety compromise.

You'd be a lot better off buying a good used pickup for the $12000 it would cost to rebuild the drivetrain, or towing a lighter trailer.

ditto to Mr. Miller: "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do something".....!
BlueBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have a 2014 Subaru Outback with a 4 cylinder engine. According to the owner's manual, the towing capacity is 2,700 lbs, using electric brakes on the trailer. The trailer is a Scamp 13', no front bath. We have not weighed it. The manufacturer claims it weighs 1,500 lbs. I'm sure it weighs closer to 2,000 when we travel. We get 18-22 mpg, depending on terrain. The tongue weight is 218 (according to my bathroom scale), which I achieved by relocating the battery.
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #6

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
While Subaru continues to make wonderful cars (my wife and I toured New England for a couple weeks in one for our honeymoon), it appears the company has a growing pension for sacrificing towing capacity to improve fuel mileage in their so-called SUV's. In the past, others on this forum have questioned how the Outback (and Forester) can still be classified as a "Sport Utility Vehicle" (SUV) when it has little of its former "utility" left in it - just a really nice "Sport Vehicle" now. Just saying.... At the same time, Toyota and Nissan continue to increase the towing capacity of their mid-sized SUV's. I believe the 2015 Highlander ("properly equipped", as they say) is up to 500 lb tongue, 5,000 lb towing now. Go figure...
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think Subaru knows their market and knows it well, and people towing trailers are a miniscule component.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:26 PM   #8

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think Subaru knows their market and knows it well, and people towing trailers are a miniscule component.
Sadly, I agree, even though my wife and I fall into those "miniscule" statistics. We would love to have an Outback as a our regular run-around car - AND - as the TV for our EggCamper. But since it can't do the latter, we don't own one. And I'm sure Subaru is perfectly fine with that - even though that's what I would classify as a "lose-lose" conundrum (we don't have the car we would like to have, and they don't have our business). The good news is that our 12 year old Highlander still does the job just fine and keeps us moving on down the road....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Yup loads of them in these parts and I only know of one other than mine that has pulled anything more than the garden waste trailer to the dump once a year.

Love my Subaru's - have owned a number. Sadly I found that pulling at 2500lb total weigh 16' resulted by year 4 in some pretty hefty bills coming in at a staggering rate never seen with my previous Outbacks with far more miles on them. Never did/was able to get to or below the 200lb tongue limit. Found the trailer was most stable at between 220/240lbs on the tongue. I compensated for that by never carry rear passengers or loading much of anything in the rear of the car while towing. With the OP's trailer riding at 2300lbs on the axle which is about the same as my lightly loaded 16' Scamp I would not expect that they will ever be happy with the tow if they do get it down to 200lbs - assuming they plan to do more than 55 mph. I can't comment on the new Outbacks with the CVT transmission as mine didnt have a CVT.

Was actually a sad day when I had to say enough was enough with towing the 16' with the Subaru and switch to another make/brand for towing as the Subaru had less than 60,000 miles on it.

After six year of pulling with a Subaru Outback my advise is to stick to pulling a lighter 13' trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:20 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup loads of them in these parts and I only know of one other than mine that has pulled anything more than the garden waste trailer to the dump once a year.

Love my Subaru's - have owned a number. Sadly I found that pulling at 2500lb total weigh 16' resulted by year 4 in some pretty hefty bills coming in at a staggering rate never seen with my previous Outbacks with far more miles on them. Never did/was able to get to or below the 200lb tongue limit. Found the trailer was most stable at between 220/240lbs on the tongue. I compensated for that by never carry rear passengers or loading much of anything in the rear of the car while towing. With the OP's trailer riding at 2300lbs on the axle which is about the same as my lightly loaded 16' Scamp I would not expect that they will ever be happy with the tow if they do get it down to 200lbs - assuming they plan to do more than 55 mph. I can't comment on the new Outbacks with the CVT transmission as mine didnt have a CVT.

Was actually a sad day when I had to say enough was enough with towing the 16' with the Subaru and switch to another make/brand for towing as the Subaru had less than 60,000 miles on it.

After six year of pulling with a Subaru Outback my advise is to stick to pulling a lighter 13' trailer.
Carol I have read many posts of yours and your many miles of travel are widely varied in many conditions. I think your comments here from real world expirience pretty much shows the OP that they are on the ragged edge and a bit over for a safe/reasonable/economical tow with that tug.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Thanks for posting the trailer & tongue weight of your Egg Camper. It is the first Egg Camper I've been able to add to the Excel version of the Trailer Weights in the Real World spreadsheet.

With Frederick's permission, I have been updating a editable version of his weighing list, adding trailers as individuals send me their weighing results or, if I find them posted on forums.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #12

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Subaru is highly rated by Consumer Reports...about equal to Toyota in overall realibility which has held the number one spot for a long time.
The one thing I see on all the websites for RV trailers is the tendency by too many to push the tow limits established by the vehicle manufacturers.
I must therefore ask WHY???
Life would be a lot easier if the tow vehicle selected was up to the task.
Time to "wise-up" and do some research BEFORE YOU BUY!....or you can post inquiries like this one hoping someone will support your attempts to exceed the maximum recommended tow weight and tounge weight for the vehicle you bought in error.
The correct answer is always the same...either buy a smaller lighter trailer or buy a tow vehicle that exceeds your requirements and tow in a safe responsible manner.

Try these simple steps: When you go looking for that perfect travel trailer always ask the weight....then add the weight of all your stuff and optional equipment...add 10% to that number for safety......then go out and buy a tow vehicle that will do the job.....or stay home and make the highways safer for all of us.

Happy Safe camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #13

Western Massachusetts
The tow weight of 2380#, is 220# BELOW the Subaru specified #2700 limit. And by shifting weight back over, or slightly behind the axle, the Subaru spec of a max 200# tongue weight limit can be met. Subaru specs a minimum of 8% on the tongue. 200/2380= 8.4%. Take some items out and shift some to the TV which is still within the TV weight spec's and reduce the camper weight to 2200# yielding 9.1% tongue. In either case NONE of the Subaru maximum specs are exceeded. Subaru's guidelines met, the highways are safe
Old 01-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
The one thing I see on all the websites for RV trailers is the tendency by too many to push the tow limits established by the vehicle manufacturers.
I must therefore ask WHY???
Life would be a lot easier if the tow vehicle selected was up to the task.
Time to "wise-up" and do some research BEFORE YOU BUY!....or you can post inquiries like this one hoping someone will support your attempts to exceed the maximum recommended tow weight and tounge weight for the vehicle you bought in error.
The correct answer is always the same...either buy a smaller lighter trailer or buy a tow vehicle that exceeds your requirements and tow in a safe responsible manner.
LOL Uplander do you honestly believe that the OP who is pulling a trailer fully loaded that is well under the total towing capacity of his vehicle but simple over by 30lbs on his tongue limit specification is a safety hazard to others on the road!

Here is the thing about the Subaru Outback that many including myself get caught out on. And what some of what the go big or go home crowd do not realize about the Subaru Outback. And why some of us can do all their homework prior to buy the trailer and/or the car and still have a bit of an issue.

One is that the Outbacks is rated to pull 3000lbs or 2700lbs depending on the model. So one would think it would safely pull a trailer with a fully loaded weight of 2400/2500lbs total. And they would not be wrong. The Outback can/does pull a 2500lb trailer very solidly - would surprise a few folks here just how solidly. Its very capable of stopping that weight of trailer as well in fast emergency situations and keeping the trailer straight, it also can handle fast avoidance moves and it was my experience that it could take a very heavy side wind without so much as a tiny sense of a wiggle. The one towing downside is it can be a little short on power on real long high grade hills but not to the point it will be holding up traffic. Can assure you I passed more than a few larger tugs while towing up a hill and got the look from the driver as to what the **** more than once!

But here is where the problems while doing ones homework as to what trailer falls within all the Outback towing specs start:

a) The Outback has a 200lb tongue limit on it BUT the Subaru's manual suggest that one would be fine towing with as low as a 8% tongue weight. Its very common in Europe to tow with that low of a tongue weight. We have a couple of members here who for years have been pulling with that low of a % of tongue weight with a different vehicle and claim to have no problems with it. Funny enough one of those parties probable holds the record here for the most miles towed in the past 6 years without incident. So its not unreasonable for someone to think that if they have have a trailer that weighs 2100/2200lbs on the axle loaded that running with a 200lb tongue weight is doable.

b) Unfortunately a number of fiberglass trailer manufactures dry weights are much lower than what the reality is for their trailers leaving the manufactures facility. So even if a party does their homework and adds 500lbs to the dry weight to cover their own stuff to come up with an approx. loaded weight & takes in to consideration the weight of various options the trailer has they may find they are still going to come up very short on their caluclation as to the actual weight of the trailer once it loaded on the scales.

C) Prior to the summer of 2010 the wonderful thread Trailer Weights in the Real World was not around. So while trying to do ones homework there is a good bet someone would ask here about what such and such a trailer weighs loaded. Its my experience they where/are going to get a lot of best guess answers from people who own the same trailer - that the party doing the asking may not realize at the time the answers are actually just a best guess. Its been my observation here that a lot of folks apparently have never actually weighed their trailers.

In the case of the OP unfortunately he is pretty well in the same boat I was when I purchased my trailer back in 06 to pull with a then brand new 07 Subaru, as the Real World Weight Thread still has no weight ins for an Egg Camper on it. (hope he adds his to the list). Actually purchased my trailer sight unseen and drove for 2 days to pick it up - I took the risk on the trailer as I had searched high and low looking for that specific trailer layout, without certain options, as I believed it to be one that was going to meet in all ways the Outbacks towing specs.

Was actually pretty surprised/sad when I weighed the trailer the first time and it came in at a few hundred pounds more than anyone here or the seller suggested it would weigh loaded. I was not about to sell a brand new car with 2000 miles on it and take a HUGE hit on the sales value - unfortunately I don't have a money tree in my yard so a second vehicle was out of the question. So like the OP I attempt to find a way to make the set up work. And frankly it did work fine for me - in fact it pulled so fine I kept towing with it and piled up thousands of miles in various locations and conditions. But as I said by year 4 a lot more wear and tear bills not experienced with my previous Subaru's including another Outback, with more miles on them started to pop up. Funny enough none of the wear and tear issues involved the rear end or the transmission.

My recommendation that folks stick with the lighter 13' trailer are not based on a safety concern but for a concern for longevity of the vehicle itself.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #15

Western Massachusetts
Hello Jon,
This Eggcamper could still be lightened a bit more. 2380# is with A/C, 1 large battery, tv, radio, propane stove, propane piping, fittings and 6 18oz tanks, hotplate, toaster oven, microwave, and all utensils, 50# generator, heavier memory foam mattress, bed extension for almost queen size, 80' water hose, etc.
Thank-You
Mark
Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 PM   #16

Western Massachusetts
Hi Dale,
You noted a while back that your Eggcamper had the larger 4" frame and most others a 3" frame. Our 2012 has the 4" frame also--4" tall x 2"wide. maybe that's why our weight is kinda high also.

Subaru Legacy/Outback is in direct completion with Toyota Camry/Venza and Subaru wants to keep the all wheel drive buyers, buying Subaru's instead of Toyota's and compete at both the Gas Mileage and Luxury Options Games at the same time, so I agree that towing is not at the top of their list for options especially if it adds weight to the car. Interestingly, the Venza towing capacities with their tow package, are almost the same as Outbacks' 4cyl-2700#/ v-6 3000#: Venza 4 cyl is 2500#, Venza v-6 is 3500#
Old 01-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Low tongue weight towing

We towed for 6 years 3 different trailers. We travel 7+ months a year and have been all over Canada and the USA. Presently we tow a 2600 pound Scamp 16, tongue weight 200 pounds, axle weight 2400 pounds. Our tongue weight is about 8% of the axle weight.

We have never had a problem towing our Scamp 16 with our 4 cylinder Honda CRV. We got good mileage and perfect reliability. We had our CRV for 10 years and retired it this year with nearly 250,000 miles.

We do keep our trailer tires at 50 lbs, and elevate our tow vehicle's tire pressures as well.

We load our trailer carefully, keeping weighty items low and near the axle when ever possible. We carry only one propane tank, propane is available everywhere and one tank is adequate.

We drive slower than some and always stay under 65 mph with our highest speeds only on Interstates which we tend to avoid.

We try to be safe. We avoid driving in bad road conditions. We do have an anti-sway bar for emergencies and do have pressure/temperature sensors on our trailer tires.

Our Honda CRV had a manual transmission and North American rated to tow 1500 pounds. (European rated to tow over 3000 pounds.) When we traded the CRV it still had the original clutch. The most service we ever did to the transmission was to have the transmission lubricant changed once. Our heaviest trailer was a Casita 16, it weighed 2760 pounds with a tongue weight of 230 pounds. All trailers had brakes. Stopping was never an issue.

We have driven 1,000s of miles on bad and dirt roads and never had a problem. Our hitch was bolted to the CRV. I regular check the bolts for tightness. No damage has occurred to the hitch mounting points on the Honda.

This year, with much debate, we traded our CRV in on a 2014 Honda Odyssey, a heavier, bigger vehicle with a 3500/350 pound rating, 6 speed automatic, 6 cylinder engine with transmission cooler. Ginny decided we were old enough to get an automatic (she was looking forward 10 years when we'll be 82 and hopefully still traveling). Ginny choose the Odyssey while I was leaning towards another CRV. After 10,000 miles I believe she made an excellent choice.

I have never owned a Subaru though many find them excellent vehicles.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM   #18

Name: Bert
Trailer: BOLER
Ontario
I have been thinking of trading my 99 Lexus SUV AWD for an Outback but after reading all the comments about them I dont think I will. I have had a '93 and a '94 RWD, Volvo wagon w the 2.3L, 4 cylinder turbo engines. I am pulling a '74 Boler and have had no problems w the Volvos. I had to weld the Boler tongue 2x last yr. because of those deep driveway and parking lot entrances in SCal.
Last yr going across Canada, I found the old Volvo w 300kms, getting tired going over the mnts; barely able to do 40mph. On the trip back east, I traded it for a '99 Lexus in Prescot AZ. WOW! what power a v6 has. BUT its such a gas guzzler; I barely get 200 miles per tank! So I have been thinking of a used v6 Subura, BUT now after reading all this info about them Iam thinking of a used 1990's Volvo 5 cylinder. I never see Volvos mentioned or pulling anything on the rd. Anybody here use a 5 cylinder Volvo as a TV?
EGBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Good mileage towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGBERT View Post

Last yr going across Canada, I found the old Volvo w 300kms, getting tired going over the mnts; barely able to do 40mph. On the trip back east, I traded it for a '99 Lexus in Prescot AZ. WOW! what power a v6 has. BUT its such a gas guzzler; I barely get 200 miles per tank! So I have been thinking of a used v6 Subura, BUT now after reading all this info about them Iam thinking of a used 1990's Volvo 5 cylinder. I never see Volvos mentioned or pulling anything on the rd. Anybody here use a 5 cylinder Volvo as a TV?
Egbert, We purchased a 2014 Honda Odyssey, 6 speed,6 cylinder and can go 400 miles on a tank of gas towing our 1991 Scamp 16. It's really a comfortable tow vehicle and extremely spacious.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I am afraid that Volvo's no longer enjoy the popularity in the U.S. of days gone by. At last count I had owned about nine; 444's, 445's, 122's, 145's & 245's a 164 and a P-1800.
But when they became a luxury car, I lost interest.

I once bought a 1968 122 Wagon(last year made) in Pierre, SD and towed home to San Francisco, with an almost identical looking 1965 122 wagon. Towed great.... B-18's ruled until Japan took over the market for reliability.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper, weight