Eggcamper Weight, Tongue Weight & Towing with Outback - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #41

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Hi Carol,

Our Eggcamper, stock, is tongue heavy and probably about 2000# stock. So, before the weigh, I moved the battery off the tongue to back under the dinette, removed the A/C (for winter), put the spare tire under the bed, etc. Then we weighed in at 2380# with a tongue of about 220-230#. To get to 200# tw, every little thing went to the rear of the axle and I removed some items and carried them in the back seat of the car to get down to 2300#. So then, with a max of 900# in the car, we had a 8.7% tongue weight, which made everything within the Subaru spec.

200# TW & all Subaru specs met--but---You noted in a past post that the best tow was at 220-240#--I fully agree. I've made a hobby(Ha!) of moving things around for the last 2 months to get the best tow and 220-240# is the best. But, get any more than about 250#TW and the rear sags too much and driveability changes. At no time did we have more than 2500# in the trailer, and most of the time it was around 2300-2400# which would yield at least an 8.3% tongue weight. And we were always able to keep the car load weight including us, and the tongue, below 900# at all times. But we had to travel light. Traveling light actually helped us from having too much stuff! We realize now how much STUFF that we don't need(ha!). I really liked the whole rig trael the best when we carried the least amount of STUFF, about 220#TW, about 2300# in the trailer with any heavy items left carried in the back seat of the car and hardly anything in the trunk area of the car or front of the trailer. I've been told that the trailer tires are only rated to 60 mph, but was unable to find that on the tires. I had it up to 75mph once with no wind around and it was fine, but 62 mph was a realistic speed that we could travel in almost any weather on the Interstates.
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:33 PM   #42

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
First off, the battery should not be inside the living quarters unless it is vented, dangerous fumes when being charged. The tire would do you better on the back where it was factory mounted. I assume you water heater and all tanks are empty. Then weigh again. Good luck. I'm curious though, if it is 1900 dry, why is your weight at 2400 w/o the a/c?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #43

Western Massachusetts
Hi Ray,

When I started the TW was at least 300# on our 2012. I think we have a model that has a heavier frame (4") than most of the Eggcampers, so that adds a bit of weight. Just moving the battery off the tongue, the spare to the back under the bed (that works very well, as we leave the bed up), and removing the a/c, removing the original carpet (replaced with lighter weight carpet), --all these changes made a Big difference in the TW.
Mark
Old 03-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #44

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I guess I had the 3" frame on my 2007?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #45

Western Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
First off, the battery should not be inside the living quarters unless it is vented, dangerous fumes when being charged. The tire would do you better on the back where it was factory mounted. I assume you water heater and all tanks are empty. Then weigh again. Good luck. I'm curious though, if it is 1900 dry, why is your weight at 2400 w/o the a/c?
Hi Jim,
I installed an AGM battery which in the large space where the a/c had been and was vented bigtime to the outside and bottom of the camper.
Our spare was, from the factory, in the front closet. The under bed really works well! Much better than on the thin bumper or mounted to fiberglass on the rear. We don't take up the bed--so the spare & jack way under the bed in the back works for us. Our dry is about 2000#, 2400 w/o a/c but with the almost minimum amount of Stuff (there's that Stuff again!)that we need. That said, the a/c only weighs 50#, so putting it back in should be workable.

Yes --tanks almost dry, just about 2 gallons of RV anti-freeze. We used the water system very little on the whole trip.

Still, I think I just may tow with a larger vehicle most of the time--just so I don't have to keep so close of any eye on tongue weight. But that may involve the purchase of another vehicle--and that is another challenge.

Mark
Old 03-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #46

Western Massachusetts
If I remember correctly, I think Dale (War Eagle) may know more about the frame question. His was 4" and our 2012 is also 4" , but I have never seen or measured another Eggcamper frame. Maybe it's an option or different years used different types?
Mark
Old 03-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #47

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Mark, most trailer tires are rated at 65 mph max, rather than 60.

If you start shopping for another tug, the Jeep Grand Cherokee with V6 is getting good mpg for owners towing eggs. There are a couple of people on this forum getting 16 to 17 mpg with their GC.

In the meantime, please do crawl underneath your Subie periodically and inspect the receiver attachment points for any signs of metal fatigue, just in case.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #48

Western Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Mark, most trailer tires are rated at 65 mph max, rather than 60.

If you start shopping for another tug, the Jeep Grand Cherokee with V6 is getting good mpg for owners towing eggs. There are a couple of people on this forum getting 16 to 17 mpg with their GC.

In the meantime, please do crawl underneath your Subie periodically and inspect the receiver attachment points for any signs of metal fatigue, just in case.
Hi Mike,

Yes--I HAVE to inspect the hitch & it's mounting- because I installed it myself--So, I can't blame it on anyone else if something goes wrong in that department-Ha!

I'm thinking a newer Chev. Tahoe --then my wife can use it to tow her horse trailer and replace her 1999 Tahoe. But the $$$ may be a challenge. The 1999 Tahoe gets around 20-22 mpg highway even with a 350 v-8!

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #49

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
I would second Ron's recommendation to look at the Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost FWD.
With 270 lb/ft of torque and 240hp, ours does very well pulling our Scamp 13.

Whatever you get, I would suggest paying close attention to the engine torque at towing rpm.
The torque curve on the Ford Ecoboost 2.0L starts to level off at around 2000 rpm and
then increases very gradually up to 270 lb/ft at around 3000 rpm. Towing at around 60 mph
in Drive, our rpm is about 1750. In S or S5, rpm is about 2250. The Ecoboost 240 hp is
developed at 5500 rpm.

By comparison, our Honda CRV has/had 163 lb/ft of torque at 4400 rpm and didn't develop
it's 180hp until 6800-7000 rpm. IIRC, the Subaru engine specs might be about the same as
the CRV?

Diesels and Turbos (the Ecoboost is a turbo) seem to shine in the torque department and
torque may well be the most important factor in towing a trailer.

Just my $.02 worth and maybe not even worth that? 😉
As always, YMMV ..... literally and figuratively.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #50

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastsignal View Post
Hi Carol,

200# TW & all Subaru specs met--but---You noted in a past post that the best tow was at 220-240#--I fully agree. I've made a hobby(Ha!) of moving things around for the last 2 months to get the best tow and 220-240# is the best. But, get any more than about 250#TW and the rear sags too much and driveability changes..
LOL I made a hobby of packing light and moving things & weighing the trailer every chance I could for six years!

Miss my Subaru but I sure don't miss that part of towing with it! As I said before it a fine tug for a 13' trailer but anything over that it becomes a problem.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
I would second Ron's recommendation to look at the Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost FWD.
With 270 lb/ft of torque and 240hp, ours does very well pulling our Scamp 13.

Whatever you get, I would suggest paying close attention to the engine torque at towing rpm.
The torque curve on the Ford Ecoboost 2.0L starts to level off at around 2000 rpm and
then increases very gradually up to 270 lb/ft at around 3000 rpm. Towing at around 60 mph
in Drive, our rpm is about 1750. In S or S5, rpm is about 2250. The Ecoboost 240 hp is
developed at 5500 rpm.

By comparison, our Honda CRV has/had 163 lb/ft of torque at 4400 rpm and didn't develop
it's 180hp until 6800-7000 rpm. IIRC, the Subaru engine specs might be about the same as
the CRV?

Ray

The Subaru Outback does a little bit better in the torque and HP department than CRV

3.6-liter version = 256 hp @ 6,000 rpm Torque: 247 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm
2.5 Liter version = 175 hp @ 5,800 rpm Torgue 174 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

Based on current year model - but historically the Outback has not been short on torque.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #52

Missouri
Eggcamper Weight, Tongue Weight & Towing with Outback

When Mark said the mileage dropped from 32 to 16, I figured that meant he had the 4cyl.
That is why I figured the Subaru and CRV might have at least somewhat similar specs.

Ray

Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #53

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Seems towing a typical 2500#ish FGRV almost everyone gets 14 - 16 mpg. Doesn't matter much what they tow with.

Denny Wolfe
www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #54

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Seems towing a typical 2500#ish FGRV almost everyone gets 14 - 16 mpg. Doesn't matter much what they tow with.

Denny Wolfe
www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
I average 16 liters per 100km or 14.7Imperial gallons or 17.7 US gallons with my Frontier V6 when towing my 16' (2600lbs total). It will get higher than that if I stay out of stop and go traffic or off the freeway and take the road less traveled and stick to 55mph or less. My 4 cyl. Subaru actually did a little worse than that with the best being about 19/20 US gallons on the road less traveled and slower speeds. About 17/18 US gallons if traveling on freeway at 65mph.

Funny enough one of the reasons I was reluctant to move to a larger tow vehicle was my concern that it would be worse on MPG's.... turns out most newer larger engines actually get better fuel economy.

One of the reasons the Subaru Outback is not known for its great fuel economy is its not a real light vehicle and its full time All Wheel Drive which does result in fewer MPG's vs a 4x4 truck that you have the option when towing in good weather to switch off the 4x4 drive option for better fuel economy.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #55

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
16 litres/100 km is 14.7 mpg US and 17.7 mpg Imp.

About what my F350 4x4 crew cab longbox diesel gets while towing!!!
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #56

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Thought I might add my 2-cents worth here about Toyota/Lexus towing.
I own one of the largest of the heavy duty SUVs made by Toyota (FJ Landcruiser) my research indicates that these vehicles (SUV/Truck) equipped with the 4.0 Ltr V6 VVTI engine and 5 speed automatic transmission are all rated to tow 5,000 lbs as long as you do not use 5th gear and have a transmission cooler installed. The gas mileage declines whenever you tow anything but that applies to any vehicle that tows.
Another interesting note is based on long term ownership of Toyota products, both SUVs and Trucks (over 200,000+ miles per vehicle) is their unbelievable reliability over the long term. Since RV Trailer owners tend to tow many miles very year long term reliability is important.
As with any vehicle...NEVER EXCEED MFGR's TOW RATINGS.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 AM   #57

Missouri
Denny,

Although we would sometimes like to have some of the additional
storage space and a bathroom (or a room with a door for a Thetford
cassette toilet or porta-potti) that come with a larger trailer, I guess
that is why I am kind of glad we currently have a minimum-weight
13 ft Scamp. At some point, we hope to criss-cross the country and
if gas prices go back up, fuel economy might become important to us?

Coming back from Houston last weekend (from Joplin [Mo] to the KC
metro), we actually were reading 25 mpg (on the Ford dash meter)
towing at 59 mph (on cruise). (Towing at 62+ mph, we have typically
been getting around 21.7 or 21.8 mpg, so the 25 mpg was a rather
pleasant surprise. )

Along with speed - cold temperatures, headwinds, very hilly terrain,
snow, high humidity (heavy rain or even mist), and ethanol in the fuel
all seem to negatively affect our Ecoboost 2.0L fuel economy.

Along with past education and personal experience, some of my ideas
on towing (horsepower versus torque) and the Ford Ecoboost 2.0L
engine are included in the following links:

Towing - horsepower versus torque
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/horsepower-versus-torque1.htm 

Stout EcoBoost I-4 Plays Well Above Weight Class
http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/stout-ecoboost-i-4-plays-well-above-weight-class

Ray

Attached Thumbnails
20150322_171619.jpg   20150322_152817.jpg  

Old 03-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #58
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Since RV Trailer owners tend to tow many miles very year long term reliability is important.
As with any vehicle...NEVER EXCEED MFGR's TOW RATINGS.
Reliability is very important. As tow vehicles both our Nissan mini van and G35 sedan have been very reliable considering being used as a TV and towing for many kilometers.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #59

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
It should never be about gas mileage...safety and comfort should come first.

Back in 1987 my family of 4 set off on a once in a lifetime RV adventure.
Two years to both plan and reserve sites at National Parks via the U.S. Mail
(This was pre-Internet)... Departing from Connecticut we traveled thru NY, PA,
OHIO, INDIANA, ILL, Wisconsin, Iowa, The Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming,
Utah, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri etc.
The trip took 6 weeks. We visited more National Parks than I can recall. Took hundreds of photos. My wife was a school teacher and insisted we keep daily journals with our observations. Seems we recorded a lot of details. I read those journals the other day...Oh! The memories. The interesting point was neither i or my wife recorded any costs. Not one note about fuel costs...none about the cost for camp sites. I did record some mileage notes but no gas costs....interesting....the real important things should never be about money but rather the memories our RV adventures create!
MPG???.....no just remember the memories per mile.

Happy Camping!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #60

Missouri
Patrick,

In large measure, I completely agree with you. 😊

The counterpoint to that idea comes from my friend (Wayne) who owns a larger
and heavier "stickie". He told me that, with fuel economy of about 8 mpg, that
for trips of over 200 miles it was just cheaper for them to "motel it".

I suspect that many of us own various FGRVs precisely because we do not want
fuel expense to become a deciding factor (or maybe even come to mind) when deciding
whether to make trips of any duration/distance. At least, that is/was part of my own
FGRV purchase decision thinking.

As always, YMMV. 😊

Ray

Tags
eggcamper, weight