burro floor replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: burro
Michigan
burro floor replacement

how do i replace my floor in my burro?
lilwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Hello Jim I have also replaced the floor of our burro and got most of the info here . There are many threads and photos in the burro post area. Although it's not a simple task it is easily do'able it will involve removing the frame and replacing the whole floor. If you are located near algonac there will be a fg rally there this weekend although I can't be there my son Bryce will be there and he could give you lots of info on how to do the floor . He will be in the blue and white luv bug . We are also located in the Windsor area and you could look us up there if you are located close by.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Hi Jim,

I have also replaced the entire floor in our Burro-13. I got most of my info about doing this from this long thread on this forum. Here's the link:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ted-43697.html

In this thread Mike and Andy discuss the procedure and issues involved in doing this. It is a lot of work but if you need it done, there is no way around it. If the floor is rotted out like most Burros this age are, the Burro can fall off the frame, as the floor is the only attachment point that the whole camper has to the frame. The FG shell is not attached to the frame, it is attached to the floor and the floor is bolted to the frame. If yours is like mine was, the bolts are either rusted out in the middle (where the wood is soggy) or the surrounding wood is too soft to hold it in place.

You will need someone to help you get the frame out and get the shell supported up on blocks at the corners. Support the shell only at the corners as this is where the strength of the FG is. Once it is supported, it can be a one person job of pulling out the old floor and cleaning wood and resin from the grooves.

Read the long thread by Mike and Andy as well as the other one by Jen and someone else. You will learn about the process in detail.

Just remember that doing this means also pulling out the propane plumbing, removing the fridge, and all lower cabinet doors, as well as the water tank, so this is a good time to fix all of that stuff as well. Oh yeah, while the frame is out you should check it carefully for cracks at the "A" corners and maybe scrape off the rust and repaint it. Additonal frame support by the door is also a good addition to the frame.

If you can pay attention, and don 't mind getting messy, you can do the floor job. When you are done, you will know a lot about epoxy and or poly resin.

When you do it, feel free to ask specific questions on the forum as there are a few of us still on the forum who have done this and can provide answers or options.

Good luck,
Rick
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: burro
Michigan
Thanks for the help. Looking to find time right now between work and the RAIN that won't quit. I am looking forward to this. This seems to be not as difficult as what I imagined, with the feedback I have received, this gives me hope in MYSELF to be able to get this done without having to hire someone else to do the job.
Thanks again, "lilwheel"
lilwheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro