willerby caravans,,need to know more - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Trillium (USA)
I do not own an egg yet but I am fasinated with them and I long to own one new or used. I narrowed my search down to a Trillium which is long way from a Bambi or a TAB. Notice how I work down in price and work up in quality. As an art teacher I am blown away by the form of this particular egg. I also love the BIOD, also made in Europe. Why is it that most attractive (at least for me) rvs are made in Canada or in the UK/Europe? Why is America so behind in regard?

If anyone knows more about the Willerby and can tell me where I could see one I would appreciate it. There is not much on the web.
lloyd cicetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Quote:
As an art teacher I am blown away by the form of this particular egg. I also love the BIOD, also made in Europe. Why is it that most attractive (at least for me) rvs are made in Canada or in the UK/Europe? Why is America so behind in regard?

Lloyd, your question is a bit like asking, "Why are your babies uglier than your neighbors' children?"
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
If anyone knows more about the Willerby and can tell me where I could see one I would appreciate it. There is not much on the web.
Best way to see one is take a trip to Europe, doubt there are any within a reasonable driving distance of your home.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500 (front dinette)
Quote:
If you add certain search terms, such as "caravan" (the word for "camping trailer" to the rest of the English-speaking world) you will have more luck.

Searching on "willerby caravan vintage" brought up several gems on this photo album, including a Willerby 17' Vista: caravan photo album

And here is a 1958 Willerby 14' Vogue brochure you can buy!Vogue brochure

Don't miss the Italian Lander and the Eriba Puck. There's more...I am merely a newly-obsessed egg fan.

Kathleen
Kathleen Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Don't miss the Italian Lander and the Eriba Puck. There's more...I am merely a newly-obsessed egg fan.

Kathleen
Kathleen, I am obsessed too and I don't even own one. I did check out the Eriba Puck. What an outstanding piece of work. I am sure it is quite costly. I will check out the Italian Lander. Thanks for the tip. What other european eggs are there worth looking into? Any leads are appreciated.

Thanks,

Lloyd
Old 09-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
It's really a good thing I don't have any money, otherwise I would go to Europe and by one of each of all the really cool trailers they have over there.

Most of them have beautiful insides too!

I agree, the US mfrs need to step it up a bit.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I suspect that since Europeans and Canadians have been dealing with high gas prices for many years, they've placed a lot more emphasis on the small fiberglass market. In the US, gas was low, so for the mainstream, the big stickies prevailed. A smaller percentage of people (probably everywhere) are drawn to the fiberglass eggs from a purely environmental, low impact or other consideration - so the market in the US is smaller for this type of trailer. As many recent posts have suggested, this may change as gas prices continue to go up.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #8

Great observations...thank God for this forum....and the internet.....now I understand why fiberglass rvs have minority status in the U.S. I also think I understand why Europeans and Canadians put more ingenuity and aesthetics into their recreational vehicles. We have just been spoiled with cheap gas. I hope we turn the corner and see more and more smart, well designed, energy efficient fiberglass rvs in the future. Sure will make retirement a lot more fun.

Thanks everyone,

Lloyd

Tags
willerby