Lil Snoozy Wheelbase - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #41

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
As the Canadian Dollar falls, the Escape trailers will become less expensive compared to trailers manufactured in the US. Since their customers seem very happy with their trailers, this is a good thing.

As for the stability advantage of the widely spaced wheels, I am not sure it is necessary. Last summer, before towing Launch Pad, (my second Trillium 4500) from Ontario to Alberta, my brother did a test drive. He said that he did his best to loose the trailer. This included sharp turns, stops and everything else he could do, (He is a bit of a jerk). The relatively narrowly spaced wheels of the Trillium 4500 were no problem at all.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As the Canadian Dollar falls, the Escape trailers will become less expensive compared to trailers manufactured in the US. Since their customers seem very happy with their trailers, this is a good thing.
Yes the current situation with the US vs Canadian dollar certainly makes the Escape all that more attractive. But awhile back (think the dollars may have been at par at the time) actually posted that they had done a side by side comparison using the Scamp (and if not mistaken the Casita) price lists and the Escape price list... once they added up all the extras costs of what were not included in the base price of the Scamp/Casita base price but where standard on the Escape there was really not the big gap in pricing that many had mistakenly believed there was.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #43

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tire Pressure Sensors

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Tim, one of the reasons that I like to see the tires is to see if one is getting low on air pressure. I may one day do like Norm did, and purchase a tire pressure monitoring system.
Dave & Paula
I really can't see my tires but I do use the heating elements embedded in the rear window as a gauge to see if the trailers leaning to one side (flat or flattening tire). I compare these to the window latches on the front of the Scamp.

We do have trailer tire pressure sensors displays pressure and reports temperature as Dave referenced.

We have the Tire Pressure Display mounted near Ginny. Every now and then she presses the button to display temperature looking for a rise in temperature and a difference from side to side. The sunny side is always a higher temperature unless something is wrong with the brake or bearing.

A brake locking up or a bearing failure would show up as a temperature increase. We used this same sensors for the Honda CRV's rear tires and once had a brake lock up and did see it on the display. The time we detected increasing pressure and high temperature due to a brake locking. We stopped, dumped a bottle of water on the rotor, put the Honda in reverse and stepped on the brake. It freed the caliper and everything was all right. I eventually replaced that caliper.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #44

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I can see all four of our tires all the time. I guess I'm confused why some can't. I do look at them often, I'm not really sure why though. Maybe just to make sure they're still there.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #45

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
dang, Timber Wolf, now you have me rethinking my Lil Snoozy preference. I admittedly am not the best driver in the world. I am now starting to wonder about keeping it on my side of the road in tight spots as I do intend on taking it off the beaten path.
Missouri Mark: You won't be any worse a driver than 70% of the semi trucks I encounter on the highway, attempting to stay in their lane (and doing a VERY poor job of it!

I too have thought the Snoozy is a good option for the next camper we own.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #46

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
I've actually thought having the wide axle with no interior wheel well to deal with was a distinct advantage of the Snoozy. My wife and I love our EggCamper, but when both of us sit at the side dinette, one of us has to figure out where to put our feet because the wheel well takes up half of the foot room under the dinette table. The wheel well on the other side, under the galley, restricts options for upgrading to some styles of larger capacity refrigerators. I feel that another advantage of the Snoozy not having interior wheel wells is, if you opt for no side love seat, you get a lot of unobstructed floor space for customizing or adding other features (like indoor bicycle storage or room to maneuver a wheelchair inside, which the rear door entry also makes both possible). Bottom line, it is what it is, and to each their own. Personally, I think the wide track of the Snoozy has as many advantages as perceived disadvantages, but that's just me. If someone doesn't like it, there are plenty of other great campers out there to choose from. Keep calm & camp on....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #47

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
...The storage space that the wheel wells take up does not look very significant. ....
The actual cubic inches of potential storage space taken up by an interior wheel well may not look like that much, but when you try to fit squarish storage containers in a space occupied by a hump-shaped, round-edged wheel well, you lose a lot more usable space than you'd think. So you just start throwing bags of small lose stuff, towels and other shapeless things like that in around the wheel well, and first thing you know, your whole storage organization system goes right out the window...
Old 11-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
The actual cubic inches of potential storage space taken up by an interior wheel well may not look like that much, but when you try to fit squarish storage containers in a space occupied by a hump-shaped, round-edged wheel well, you lose a lot more usable space than you'd think. So you just start throwing bags of small lose stuff, towels and other shapeless things like that in around the wheel well, and first thing you know, your whole storage organization system goes right out the window...
In my Scamp the hot water tank sits over the wheel well on one side, living only a small amount of flat surface space between the tank and the cabinet door - just enough room for narrow trash bin and dish soap etc. On the other side the furnace is located at the wheel well which leaves no space for storage in front of it as its fully enclosed. Its a good use by the manufacture of otherwise less than functional storage space due to the hump.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #49

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Back to the width of the Lil Snoozy, I was noticing this weekend following a rather wide flatbed trailer on a state road that the trailer appeared to be 8 foot wide. That's the same as the Lil Snoozy. The state road was likely 10 foot wide. That leaves a foot on each side IF you can always maintain the trailer in the exact middle. I know interstates are 12' wide. I can see one having to be on constant alert driving the 8' wide LS on back roads.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #50

Colorado
Narrower roads and slower speeds go hand-in-hand. But some people in our neck of the woods think they can drive interstate speeds on those narrow back roads (posted 45 or 50 mph), and those narrower country roads are much less forgiving at 70 mph.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #51

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
You'd really have to pile it on before the junk even reaches the window!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #52

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
So what you are saying is pay close attention when you are driving, hmmm.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #53

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I like your photoshop picture of the Snoozy.
I would probably still opt for the outside wheels.

I commented how well mine tracked at a truckstop and
a group of men responded, "Well, yeah! Boat trailers track good."

I hadn't even thought of that as I don't pull a boat trailer.
Being an old truck driver before Interstates were finished, I had
no trouble keeping a semi between the lines. But I admit, I see
all too many trucks today going from side to side. I think it's more
the skill of the driver than the truck.................lol.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lil snoozy