Window crank removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Surfside
Manitoba
Window crank removal

Hi, I have a 1978 Surfside, looking to replace the window crank on both sides. I know where to purchase them but having a tough time getting the crank box off without damaging the long bar. Any ideas are welcome, videos help also.

Second question, any idea where to buy the exact door gasket material ?

thanks Kevin
Kevin T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
As stated before, use good keywords and when you do a internet search for methods or material sources use the function of searching for images. That way you can quickly zero in on meaningful websites to spot what you were hoping to see. Finding things quickly on the internet is a valuable skill to acquire when working on unfamiliar tasks. Good keywords + viewing images are the basics for saving time and frustration while doing searches.

This tutorial for a Boler Window crank arm should help you. Using the above search method is how I located it for you. I did not find what I would consider to be a well produced video on the subject but this tutorial was good and should be enough information to guide you through the job without taking out the window and taking all the pieces of it apart then having to put it all back together again.
http://bolerlife.com/crank.html
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #3

Name: Brent
Manitoba
Remove the window and then remove the aluminum end with the crank - the frame is four separate pieces of aluminum (five for the back window). That's how I did all of mine, and in the process found that all of the mounting screws were rusted out and needed replacing. The job sounds bigger than it is, but takes two people (inside/outside).

Also interested in the door gasket source. I spent $100 on something that's not quite right and won't stay in place.
toderash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Hey Kevin, not sure if the windows in your trailer are the same as a boler window but if they are post 119 in this link has pics that should guide you through the way I replaced mine.
Fred
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r-55601-9.html
FRED SMAILES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:46 AM   #5

Name: Kevin
Manitoba
Thanks everyone, I see with the pictures in Fred Smailes link, that cutting the aluminum siding is the easy way of removing the crank case. This cut also does't seem to impact the replacement of the new one.
Kevin T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #6

Name: Jim and Kathie
Trailer: 1979 Surfside
British Columbia
Surfside Window Crank and door gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by toderash View Post
Remove the window and then remove the aluminum end with the crank - the frame is four separate pieces of aluminum (five for the back window). That's how I did all of mine, and in the process found that all of the mounting screws were rusted out and needed replacing. The job sounds bigger than it is, but takes two people (inside/outside).

Also interested in the door gasket source. I spent $100 on something that's not quite right and won't stay in place.
Hello, we removed the windows from our 1979 Surfside and replaced the cranks, polished the windows up, used butyl tape and re-installed with stainless steel screws. It is a two person job, but not difficult. The cranks don't seem to work quite as well as we would like - I'm thinking the windows will still be 'sloppy'.....we'll see.

I have looked everywhere and not found anything that comes near to the gasket that was on our door, so would be interested in hearing about anything that comes even close! What did you use?

Thanks, kathie
Jim and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside