Will an Eggcamper split in half? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Will an Eggcamper split in half?

The Eggcampers look interesting, kind of like a Casita on it's side, but it sure looks like a rear-end collision would split it in half. Their FAQ says the seam is held together by adhesive and "fiberglass layered inside". I was hoping it would say "sewn together with wire". I'm sure they are safe, or they wouldn't be for sale, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of the seam coming apart.

PICTURE TOUR OF EGGCAMPER
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
This wouldn't be an April Fools gag?

If not:

Don't think you would have to worry about it becoming un-seamed. Being wired together, would more than like not help, but make it less strong. IMHO.

As for a rear-end collision, don't think many RVs/travel trailers would be NOT damaged. Unlikely from being split in half.

The old U-Haul TTs were make with two halves in the same way.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...aul-42637.html
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #3

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
This wouldn't be an April Fools gag?

If not:

Don't think you would have to worry about it becoming un-seamed. Being wired together, would more than like not help, but make it less strong. IMHO.

As for a rear-end collision, don't think many RVs/travel trailers would be NOT damaged. Unlikely from being split in half.

The old U-Haul TTs were make with two halves in the same way.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...aul-42637.html
I was serious, but I tried to delete my post since it sounded a little harsh towards the eggcampers. It just looks (to my untrained eye) like a bad idea to have the two halves of your home joined together vertically. Maybe the overlap is rather large, and the seam is super-strong and leak-proof.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
All of the U-Haul's and Burros have that type of shell construction.
In the very remote event of an accident, about the last thing I would worry about is the crashability (?) of the trailer. I see it as more crumple zone between me and whoever runs into me.... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
On most half shell construction the seam is actually the strongest part. The rest of the shell will break before the seam fails.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
All of the U-Haul's and Burros have that type of shell construction.
In the very remote event of an accident, about the last thing I would worry about is the crashability (?) of the trailer. I see it as more crumple zone between me and whoever runs into me.... LOL
This is so true! We were pulling a pop-up several years ago and the pop-up was totaled but if we would have had a direct hit on our vehicle, it would have pushed us into the highway with heavy traffic. One of those blessings in disguise. We were traveling from AZ to KS and it happened in NM. We could still pull the trailer to our destination but being a stickie, it would have cost more to the insurance company to fix it so they totaled and gave us a check.

That center seam should be the toughest area I would think and you do have the double shell. I like the EggCamper too!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #7

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
April Fool's Day Joke --Version #2

I've heard that some folks have concerns with the horizontally seamed trailers also. Saw this posted a while back.

"The Casita's look interesting, kind of like an Eggcamper on it's side, but it sure looks like in a rear-end collision the top might come off. Their FAQ says the seam is held together by adhesive. I was hoping it would say "Bolted Together" or "Held together with Gorilla Glue". I'm sure they are safe, or they wouldn't be for sale, but I was wondering if anyone had heard of the top popping off."

Just Kidding--no offense to OP, -- I might have asked the same question myself-ha!
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
It's a valid question to ask... I wondered the same thing when I first started learning about FG eggs. Turned out there's nothing to worry about, the seams are more like a truss than a crack.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
No worries. There was a UHaul rear ended a year or so ago. The collision bent the back bumper, and buckled the back shell inward, but the seam didn't split.
In fact the new owner is putting it back together right now. He pushed the shell back into position and is making repairs.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #10

Name: unsubscribed
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
No worries. There was a UHaul rear ended a year or so ago. The collision bent the back bumper, and buckled the back shell inward, but the seam didn't split.
In fact the new owner is putting it back together right now. He pushed the shell back into position and is making repairs.
Hi Pam,
So let's say that his was totaled by the insurance company and they wrote him a check. Would his camper be a "R" title or Salvage Title should someone decide to repair it? I guess what I am getting at is, what protection does the consumer have to stop people from repairing and reselling a totaled camper? IS it the same as a car?
We haven't purchased yet and just want to know what to look for.
Thanks
LindaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF View Post
Hi Pam,
So let's say that his was totaled by the insurance company and they wrote him a check. Would his camper be a "R" title or Salvage Title should someone decide to repair it? I guess what I am getting at is, what protection does the consumer have to stop people from repairing and reselling a totaled camper? IS it the same as a car?
Thanks
You're looking much deeper into possible problems than I ever did .
When I was shopping, I just found a camper that I loved on ebay, talked to the seller, and then looked it over really well before I bought it.
You might want to start a new thread for your question, so this thread can stay focused on the EggCamper vertical seam discussion.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF View Post
Hi Pam,
Thanks
I was thinking about this, we had both an auto and a camper, separate incidents, totaled out. We kept both. Had we fixed the damage and resold, I don't see how anyone would have known that was purchasing them from us unless we told them. We took the check for the car and repaired it. We sold the camper as it was to someone we knew that was going to repair it. I guess if you buy from a salvage company, and I do see trailer listings at two different places a couple of hundred miles from us, you would have a salvage title? I know with CarFax, unless work is reported, usually from a major manufacturer's dealer, it doesn't show up. I don't think that many campers are involved in accidents and most, if severe, would probably make them either hopeless or they would pretty much be rebuilt in order to restore them to something decent. I don't think "patch" really doesn't much in that case.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #13

Name: unsubscribed
Trailer: Shopping
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
I was thinking about this, we had both an auto and a camper, separate incidents, totaled out. We kept both. Had we fixed the damage and resold, I don't see how anyone would have known that was purchasing them from us unless we told them. We took the check for the car and repaired it. We sold the camper as it was to someone we knew that was going to repair it. I guess if you buy from a salvage company, and I do see trailer listings at two different places a couple of hundred miles from us, you would have a salvage title? I know with CarFax, unless work is reported, usually from a major manufacturer's dealer, it doesn't show up. I don't think that many campers are involved in accidents and most, if severe, would probably make them either hopeless or they would pretty much be rebuilt in order to restore them to something decent. I don't think "patch" really doesn't much in that case.
Thank you, Cathy! That pretty much answers my question. Have a wonderful Easter.
LindaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:29 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Not sure, but I think when it gets totaled out this is reported to the state, and a salvage title is issued in place of the original title. I could be wrong, but it makes sense from the standpoint that the state wants to protect the consumer via accurate title records.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #15

If the insurance takes the totaled vehicle rather than the owner keeping it, the insurance company would get the salvage title. We kept ours. Insurance companies are fairly quick to total out units if older. If a unit wasn't insured for collision which many older units aren't, the owner repairs it and the repairs might never be known about by future owners.

I consider everything these days to be "luck of the draw". : (

Tags
eggcamper