Parkliner or Eggcamper? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #1

Name: Mike L
Trailer: In the market
Georgia
Parkliner or Eggcamper?

My partner and I cannot decide which fbrv to purchase: Parkliner or the EggCamper?

We are looking to purchase new and the biggest factor in narrowing down our selection has been interior ceiling height. We need at a minimum 74" and prefer more. Both of these have great interior height. We also like the looks and features of each.

Can anyone offer words of advice on how to choose the camper best for us?
Which is the better RV?

Thanks!

Mike L
Atlanta
mlawson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
If I understand their features correctly, you have an all-electric camping experience with the Egg Camper, while there's propane stuff in the Parkliner. Depending on your camping style that can mean a lot or a little.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome to FGRV Mike.......
The Eggcamper is wider and taller than the Parkliner and it sits a little lower to the ground. It is all electric so you will need hookups after awhile of if you need heat or hot water. Parkliner has the propane furnace and stove and water heater so you can operate off propane. The bed in the Eggcamper is almost queen sized and you have more closet space. The Parkliner has more o/h storage cabinets. Costs new about the same for both.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
I can't speak for the Egg Camper though i hear and read they have great interior space!

I can speak from personal experience that we LOVE our Parkliner set up. And at the one Egg-Fest we went to it got ohhhs, and ahhhs from those visiting. They were impressed by the look and sense of spaciousness inside the Parkliner.

For us we ordered our unit without propane and it runs exclusively off the two optima blue top batteries between charges after a ~week of off grid use. Since we live in the Pacific Northwest and enjoy a mild climate our style of camping allows such a rig.

Best wishes in your search and acquisition!
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawson66 View Post
My partner and I cannot decide which fbrv to purchase: Parkliner or the EggCamper?

We are looking to purchase new and the biggest factor in narrowing down our selection has been interior ceiling height. We need at a minimum 74" and prefer more. Both of these have great interior height. We also like the looks and features of each.

Can anyone offer words of advice on how to choose the camper best for us?
Which is the better RV?

Thanks!

Mike L
Atlanta
While both have plenty of headroom, I found the Parkliner to be surprisingly roomy and well thought out. The Parkliner is a bit shorter at 15 feet but it sure seems like more. It is tall inside and out.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, the Parkliner's shell is about 12' whereas the Eggcamper's is 2 feet longer or 14'. I'd suggest you attend a rally and see both in person or contact each factory and they can put you in touch with some owner in your state.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mike, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I agree with the others, you need to physically see a trailer to know if it's the right one for you. Either way, once you get out and start camping you'll be making one great memory after the other.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
You stated that overall headroom is your primary requirement but haven't mentioned other requirements.

The EggCamper's double wall construction and white fiberglass interior is very easy to keep clean but to some is too much of a good fiberglass thing. We enjoy our EggCamper but I bought it as a shell and installed all the appliances, propane, electrical, plumbing and cabinet doors since I it built "my way."

It just boils down to your camping style and what features you are looking for.

The best way to see which one is for you is to look at an (unmodified) example of each brand. Have fun finding one though since it seems that everyone modifies their camper after they buy it.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I was sort of astounded the first trip I took inside an EggCamper!
The sense of open space inside is the feature I have not seen since or before and needs to be seen/felt in person to appreciate.

On the other hand it also had a really sterile interior as it is all gel coated fiberglass.
The Parkliner has a soft interior fabric on the walls which feels somewhat more cozy to me and the inside layout feels cozy to me anyway and not as open as the EggCamper otherwise too.

They also both feature what I consider an under powered AC setup if you will be camping in hot areas much at all,both use window units sort of built-in low instead of a rooftop AC which seems proven to perform better in almost every setting and example I have seen or heard about. Just something to think about if you will need AC.

As Jim said the EggCamper does also seem to ride much closer to the ground which I can imagine may be a challenge in some spots too?

You really need to find a way to get in front of and inside both to see how they feel to you.

Oh and welcome here too!

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
A FYI just in case.
A naked view of mine when I got it home.
The Lil Snoozy.

Backyard Photo Shoot
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have never been in a Parkliner but I can tell you that I love my EggCamper. have spent 106 nights in mine in the last year.

The all white fiberglass interior was a big draw for me. Very easy to keep clean and it allows you to decorate in any manner you wish.

The air conditioning is the downfall of the EggCamper. If you are plugged in and can leave the air conditioner running all day, you can keep it fairly comfortable. I stopped in KS a couple of weeks ago for the night and it was 104 when I turned on the air conditioner. It was still over 80 degrees in the trailer when I turned in for the night.
Attached Thumbnails
P1040217.jpg   eggcamper-interior-031[1].jpg  

Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #12

Name: Mike L
Trailer: In the market
Georgia
Wow! Thanks for the great info and the warm welcome to fgrv! We agree we need to see each in person ideally. I think we lean towards the "sterile" but easy clean all fiberglass interior of the Eggcamper. We have dogs. The air conditioner is a worry. I like not having one on top, but we live in Georgia and I am really looking forward to beach camping on the Gulf. I need AC! I wonder if we could get a larger custom AC in a new build?
mlawson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Mike,

To me the main issue with the Eggcamper is it's all electric nature.

There are just too many places to visit where there is no electricity, virtually everyone of our wonderful national parks.

A trailer is handy in any form of emergency, hurricane,...., again all electric is not as secure a backup.

The other aspect of the Eggcamper that we dislike is the lack of fore and aft windows.

Saying all that, trailers are personal and what ever you buy, it's secondary to the lifestyle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #14

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We bought our EggCamper all electric and later had a propane furnace and cooktop installed. At the time we bought ours there was a propane option from the factory. As for interior space...there is room to set up two Strongback chairs and to use them. I really like the openness. Makes it feel larger than it is.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Here are some pictures of some of modifications done to my Eggcamper, they are very easy to modify as everything is accessible. The a/c can be switched out for a bigger btu unit and I'd also recommend a MaxxFan of Fantastic Fan installation. This really helps with the a/c being low to the floor and moving the cool air about.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00787.jpg   DSC00807.jpg  

DSC00940.jpg   DSC02297.jpg  

Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
If you're like us and stay in state parks or commercial campgrounds, you won't have any problem with finding sites with electricity in the southern states. The southern states recognize that people need air conditioning and make sure the campgrounds supply electricity. The South wants to keep tourists happy so they will continue to spend their money down here.

Concerning the small air conditioners, we are fair-weather campers, and if it's going to be a blistering hot spell, we stay in the comfort of our home. If it's so hot that we need more AC than we have, then it's probably too hot to get out and enjoy the outdoors anyway. Again, that's just our style, and may not apply to you.

If we lived in the West or North, or intended to do a lot of traveling to those locations; or boondocked; or had the need to stay in Walmart (etc.) parking lots, we would not have considered an all-electric camper. Our entire reason for buying a camper was simply to enjoy the natural beauty of the state parks here in Florida and the neighboring states.

Oh, and if you're ever near Pensacola, you are more than welcome to come by and see our EggCamper.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Oh, I left out the one, most important reason we bought the EggCamper - headroom! I'm just under 6' 5" tall and when I found out the EggCamper had 6' 7" of headroom I put down a deposit without ever having seen one in person. We traveled from Florida to Michigan to pick it up. Mr. Palmer assured us that the deposit would be returned if we didn't like the camper after actually seeing it. When we attended an egg rally the universal comment made on "open house" day was "it's so big inside." One person even exclaimed "you could dance in here."

Yet more pictures of an EggCamper, and one of me inside a smaller camper:
Attached Thumbnails
Back (Medium).JPG   Front (Medium).JPG  

Proud New Owners_Vga.JPG   Lazy Daze 6_Small.jpg  

Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with Ray about the all electric. I do not enjoy hot weather and generally don't "vacation" in extreme heat. I have spent 108 nights in my EggCamper in the last year and only used the air conditioner about a dozen times. I almost exclusively travel solo and for safety never consider boondocking. I have used the heater much, much more and it works great.

I did dry camp for 10 nights last fall at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. I used a Honda generator for the necessary electricity during that time.

I am not really a "camper" as much as a tourist. I enjoy using my EggCamper as my traveling hotel room. A perfect stop for me is electric, water, sewer, cable and wifi. Sometimes I have had electric only and that is fine. I have an antenna for my TV and use a hot spot for wifi.

I would say I have stayed in state/national park campgrounds about 50% of the time and RV parks the other 50%.
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #19

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I would buy either one, whatever you can find used, close to you for a good price
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #20

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ive got a ParkLiner, and am very happy with it. The ac unit, is a bit underpowered, but I put a turbo fan on the floor blowing up towards the bed and after about a half an hour its pretty comfortable. It wont get freezing in there, but it certainly pulls the humidity out and makes it much more comfortable inside. I was out camping in it last weekend and friday night at midnite it was saying it was 95' outside, and I was nice an comfortable inside in the upper 70's. I might try swapping out the 5k btu ac for a same sized 8k btu unit I have in my bedroom. Im sure 3k more btu's will make a difference.

I like that the ParkLiner has a door to the bathroom, not a curtain. I like to think of the bathroom as a separate room...not that people cant hear what your doing in there with the door closed... with just a curtain separating it, just seems like no privacy. Now Jim did a nice job of decorating his, I think its just too sterile inside the egg camper for me.

to each their own!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper, parkliner