EggCamper Owners-Info Please - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggRollers View Post
If you don't mind me asking, why did you sell?
In my time here Jim holds the record for the most new trailer purchases.

Its rumoured that money has changed hands at rallys over bets placed as to just how long it will take Jim to place an order for a new fiberglass trailer that a manufacture has recently announced they will be making.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #22

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Some good reading……..http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...our-55655.html
except now it is 8 in five
Old 03-07-2014, 08:57 PM   #23

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
I Have An Eggcamper in Florida

Hi Anne and Bob,
We bought a 2011 Eggcamper last April, which we luckily found on C/L being sold at a dealer in Melbourne FL but previously owned by a forum member who bought it new from Jim Palmer. It is just perfect for us! My husband is 6'4" so we wanted something he could stand up in and the Eggcamper has a 6'7" interior. We wanted AC because we live in Florida😃. We wanted a big bed (we have a special way to make bed long) and didn't want to have to make it from dining or sitting area every night. I don't think an electric stove is standard...we just have the microwave, and free counter space to use an electric skillet or hot plate but we actually cook more outside, especially on our propane stove. If you can request the MaxxFan instead of the standard fan, you will be MUCH happier. We installed the MaxxFan ourselves and it works really well, even in rain....check it out if you don't already know about it. We have made a few simple modifications which you can see on my posts/albums. Latest mod is shelf in closet where spare tire is housed...plan to post pics of that soon. If you can ask for spare tire to be mounted on rear bumper it would free up the closet space for you. Our previous camper...a top of the line pop up....literally fell apart in the South Florida heat and humidity (we do not have a garage) so the fiberglass interior and exterior of the Eggcamper will last. Lots of info here....happy to answer any other questions you may have.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #24

Pennsylvania
Registry
Here was mine
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00882.jpg  
Old 03-07-2014, 10:15 PM   #25

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Letitia,
I just have to put in a word here. Do not rule out "rat fur" on the interior walls of your potential FGRV. At first I was put off by the name AND by the oddity of having carpeting on the walls and ceiling. In reality it makes the interior rather cozy, insulates sound and temperature AND is has a "cool" factor. We found that the smooth, fiberglass interior walls "sweat" a bit when it's cold outside as condensation collects on the walls and windows while the "rat fur" remains cozy. I attach mechanical suction cup hooks Amazon.com - SNAP HOOK Heavy Duty Suction Hooks | Set of 8 | As Seen on TV - Kitchen Towel Hooks the fiberglass walls for extra storage and use cubicle clips cubicle clips | Staples® or Velcro on the "rat fur" to attach things there. I have attached some photos of my 13' Scamp interior to demonstrate. Best of luck with your decisions.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 043.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 032.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 034.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #26

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Anne & Rob,
Did you see the ad for the Casita in Florida? I don't know the interior height you require....maybe it's worth a look.
Unless you decided to go to Michigan for the Eggcamper?!?
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #27

Name: Anne and Rob
Trailer: Shopping for our Egg
Florida
Lelita,

Yes, we did go see it but it really was too tiny for us. My husband couldn't stand up in it and my ample Italian hips could barely squeeze into the dining area! LOL
Thanks for thinking of us though!
EggRollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #28

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Anne, regarding your original question #2 about a cable TV connection, there is a pretty easy fix without drilling any holes (at least on our 2010 model). If you notice in some of the interior photos, as you are looking at the bed, there is a small angled cabinet on the left above the bed where a lot of people mount their TV (visible from pretty much anywhere in the camper). From inside that little angled upper cabinet, it's pretty easy to: 1) pull out the carpet lining the bottom of the cabinet, 2) feed a coax TV cable between the double walls of the cabin straight down to the storage area under the seat/bed, and then 3) poke the coax cable through the little weep-hole in that back left corner to the outside of the camper. A typical small threaded coax cable connector will just fit through the hole, and once the connector is through the hole, the smaller diameter of the cable itself still leaves enough room for any moisture to weep out the hole. Caution, some cables comes with oversized threaded couplers (I guess for a better grip) that will not fit through the factory weep hole. We used a 25' cable which allowed about 17 feet of cable to reach a cable outlet outside the camper, but the cable is coming out of the camper shell on the door side - away from most utility hookups - so you might still need a short extension cable depending on the camp site. When not in use, you can pull the cable back up through the weep hole and coil it up inside that little storage compartment. You can also use the same coax cable for an outdoor antenna mounted on a pole attached to the rear bumper if the camp site doesn't have cable hook-ups. No photos, but I hope that all makes sense. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Anne & Rob,
Like you, we live in Florida and I am 6'4" tall. We bought a new EggCamper in 2009 for about the same reasons you are interested in one. We just sold it last Fall, when we put down a deposit on a new 21' Escape. We were happy with the EggCamper for trips that lasted less than a week or so, but beyond that we started to become a bit claustrophobic, largely from the lack of drawers and other handy storage space, plus the side table-for-two in the EggCamper really wasn't comfortable for very long. The lack of propane never bothered us one bit because we mainly stay at state parks and here in Florida they all seem to have electric hook-ups. All-in-all the EggCamper was a very nice unit, much roomier than any of the other 16 or 17 footers, and I would still pick it over any other camper of the same length that I've seen - and that's most of them.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #30

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...Interior had 3 x120v duplex and 5 x12v lights....
Actually, if you count the receptacle where the AC plugs in (under the front dinette seat) and the one where the electric water heater plugs in (under the bed), there are 5 duplex AC outlets available - kind of (just remember there is a safety cutoff switch above the entry closet door for the electric water heater receptacle). And if you're desperate, I recall another receptacle tucked under the false floor of the entry closet that the converter/battery charger is plugged in to (2010 model). But back to the original post question, there's not a single AC outlet on the outside. However, an extension cord from a second shore power AC socket will serve most outside needs without cluttering things up too much.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #31

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Very interesting as I am doing my research, too, and I keep coming back to the Egg Camper as my #1 choice - my reasons are interior height of 6'7" (correct?) and I am 6'4". And I, too, found the online ad site confusing - it seems so many basic things were add. options and raises the cost of a new one significantly.

Now you have me a little concerned about winter camping. In your opinion, the factory heater just doesn't do the job in cold weather?? You said you added propane - that wasn't enough for heat? I would think a decent space heater would warm the entire interior.

I don't plan on camping much in extreme cold but would like the option.

I've had several people tell me to consider the Escape, but isn't it much heavier than the Egg Camper. I know I definitely do not want a big heavy duty gas guzzling truck to pull whatever I end up buying.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:59 AM   #32

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Mark,
The factory heater would be sufficient, if not for a huge hole in the side of the Egg Camper that isn't immediately obvious. It's the vent for the A/C. The vent allows cold air to infiltrate the cabin and when the outside temperature is down below approximately 40 F, the heater has a hard time keeping up.

Jim (cpaharley) solved the problem by removing the vent cover and replacing it with an insulated hatch. (see his post: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ets-48205.html) When I saw his mod, I did the same thing, except I went a step further by adding a mesh panel to protect the fins at the back of the A/C and fabricating a drain tray/drain to catch condensation from the A/C fins. The result is a handy storage area and nights up north got instantly warmer.

BTW: After noticing ants crawling up my power cord on a camping trip, I did the mod for the shore power cord as well and got another small storage area.

The Egg Camper is very adaptable.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Mark,
The built-in heater is small, but adequate for cool temperatures. I don't know about protecting the exposed tanks from freezing, but if you have an electric hook-up, a second electric heater would certainly make winter camping comfortable.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #34

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
We spent a week north of Nashville laster thanksgiving when tempers got in the teens. The electric heater keeps the chill off but it's still cold inside (60-65f?). The lil' buddy was a big help for those occasional dips in temperature. I think it would have faired better if we had done the mod for the ac vents.

Also the sheets froze to the walls at one point so rat fur and/or better insulation would be in order. Only one time did the water slow because of freezing, and then it only took <5 minutes with a hair drier to get everything flowing again.

He only includes a hot plate, not an electric stove. We have been debating adding gas for heat and stove. But at this point we microwave or eat at the grill outside. And most places we stay we plug in so just use the electric heater and portable heater.

We have a 2011 - all LED trailer lights, no porch light, single roof vent, and simple style awning. Jim told us he had issues with the old awnings and went to this style. The fabric is just rolled up in a bag and has a bead that slides in a groove on the roof mount. Then the legs clip on and attach to brackets on the walls. It takes a bit more setup skill but is dirt simple.

We debated about the shower and went with a kick out curtain rod. With the shower up front in the curve of the shell I had to hunch over (6'0") and that wouldn't change with a door. But with a kick out rod I stand straight up. BTW the one sold by Camping World is too long and I ended up trimming the rods about an inch each.

There are a lot of things that were built simple/cheaply. It's quality workmanship but could have been done better. I think the cabinet doors are the perfect example. EggCamper is defiantly for people who like to customize it themselves.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #35

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Very interesting as I am doing my research, too, and I keep coming back to the Egg Camper as my #1 choice - my reasons are interior height of 6'7" (correct?) and I am 6'4". And I, too, found the online ad site confusing - it seems so many basic things were add. options and raises the cost of a new one significantly.

Now you have me a little concerned about winter camping. In your opinion, the factory heater just doesn't do the job in cold weather?? You said you added propane - that wasn't enough for heat? I would think a decent space heater would warm the entire interior.

I don't plan on camping much in extreme cold but would like the option.

I've had several people tell me to consider the Escape, but isn't it much heavier than the Egg Camper. I know I definitely do not want a big heavy duty gas guzzling truck to pull whatever I end up buying.
The 17' Escape may be a couple hundred pounds heavier than the 17' Eggcamper (based on listed dry weights), but the greater factor in towing ease is the width and height. I think the Eggcamper will need to punch a larger hole in the air as you tow; it is 7'4" wide, the Escape 17 is 6'8" wide. Not positive about the exterior heights but I think the Escape is a little lower. I would expect the Escape to give you maybe 1/2 to 1 mpg better than the Eggcamper.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:29 AM   #36

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
I was thinking one could take a page from truckers and put an air deflector on the roof rack of your tow vehicle. It should be simple to add and easy to remove when not needed.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #37

Pennsylvania
Registry
I have had both the EggCamper and Escapes, both towing and camping in. I installed a propane heater in my EgCamper and was going to install thermal windows when the window person said I was wasting my money since there is no insulation in the EggCamper. That is when I bought the Escape which has both thermal windows and extra insulation. The Escape is good down to -0-, the EggCamper maybe in the 20's with propane heat. If temperature is not the issue and you can get propane installed heat, it maybe fine.
But for colder and also hot temperatures, the Escape will be more comfortable due to better insulation. As far as wind, both will be the same, although the EggCamper maybe a little more aerodynamic without the a/c on top but it is wider than the 17' Escape. My 19' Escape is as wide as the EggCamper but much bigger. A lot of decisions to be made, both $$ and comfort issues.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:44 AM   #38

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
John,
On a couple of trips with the EggCamper, I had a canoe on the roof of the tug (2011 Toyota Sienna) and thought that I got a slight increase in gas mileage. I think the canoe worked to deflect air around the body of the camper. I didn't pursue it to the point of measuring the mileage accurately.
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #39

Name: John
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Found a deflector that should work not only on trucks but SUVs mounted on the roof rails.

Truck & RV wind deflector for towing trailers
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #40

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd tow first and keep records before spending $350 to increase my mileage 10-20%. Placing a cap on your truck bed may accomplish the same result and you get the storage space.

Tags
eggcamper