Rust on Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 08:28 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Rust on Parkliner

I was just washing my Parkliner and noticed some rust. Thought I would see if other people have had the same problems and how they fixed it.

1) Rust on hinges. I know this has been mentioned before. What is the easy solution?
2) Rusty screws on windows. Some screws are fine and some are rusty.
3) I have 2 propane tanks. There is a lot of rust where the tanks sit on the metal frame. Once I get it cleaned up, how do I prevent it from happening again?

Thanks
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
rust is inevitable on any ferrous metal.
You can treat the rusty spots with Naval Jelly, after brushing or sanding off any loose rust. wear gloves, dab on the naval jelly, let soak for 5 - 10 min. rinse off with clean water. dry thoroughly, then paint with a rust inhibitor paint.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #3

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I got a message from Tom at parkliner. He said to replace door washers with stainless steel washers. He also suggested cutting an inner tube to fit the propane tank rack after cleaning and repainting. No one else has reported a problem with rusted window screws, but he said just replace with stainless.

I have owned the trailer since Jan 2014. Rust isn't real bad, but needs to be cleaned up.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A discussion about the hinges.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-70869.html
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
They make black plastic flexible conduit for protecting cables .
It has a split down it one side It fits perfectly on the metal lip on the bottom of the propane tank . It stops the metal to metal rubbing of the tank with the frame . The tubing is really cheap , holds up to sun and cold weather and it is easy to apply.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #6
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
They make black plastic flexible conduit for protecting cables .
It has a split down it one side It fits perfectly on the metal lip on the bottom of the propane tank . It stops the metal to metal rubbing of the tank with the frame . The tubing is really cheap , holds up to sun and cold weather and it is easy to apply.
Good idea. A piece of rubber will just trap moisture, causing more rust. Steve, perhaps you'll get a consulting fee if Parkliner adopts your idea.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is my propane tanks tray after eight years. I have no plans to do anything. If in twenty years it needs replacement, I will replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
Propane tray.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
There's no excuse for having rusting fasteners, hinges, screws, etc. other than the fact that they were not of good quality to begin with. I have owned several trailers and have had several boats moored year around in salt water, and I have never had those problems. Also, that's not the kind of answer I would expect from a guy who makes and sells trailers for his livelihood in telling you to replace them. Why didn't they just use decent quality ones to begin with when they built it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Most fasteners are imported and the quality varies all over the map
I have installed hardware where it started rusting in 30 days and others that looked brand new after 3 years. Both were from the same supplier , cost the same and met the same specs.
There is a ton of crap Chinese stainless steel on the market also.
I've installed bolts that were supposed to be grade 8 yet the bolt heads twisted off.
I am not defending Parkliner but it may not be entirely their fault.
Americans want things cheap and China is willing to comply
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:28 AM   #10
Raz

Go to any hardware store and you will most likely find Midwest fasteners. Lots of little bins. My local hardware store likes it because they don't have to stock the bins, a fellow shows up from time to time and does it for them. Expensive hardware. A little cheaper by the box. On the box it says packaged in the U.S. with parts from one or more of the following countries: Canada, China, Germany, India, Taiwan, Thailand, and U.S.A.

As I recall, the Parkliner hinge is made by them using a Kobalt universal bought at Lowes. I don't know where that's made but i doubt it's made to be out in the weather.

Tags
parkliner