Parkliner Weight Distribution Kit - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #21

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
When I spoke with Frank (?) on a Sunday back in 2015, as he was showing off his demonstration Parkliner, I mentioned Lil Snoozy aerodynamic bottom design eliminating the need for sway bars, and he promptly claimed the samedesign for Parkliner.
Regarding Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, does anyone know if my all-electric Snoozy gets a pass?
Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Sorry, I meant to say that our TV is a 2013 Toyota Highlander, V6 4WD.
although a WDH does shift some weight toward the front axle, it adds to the total weight which takes more gas to move, slows you down on the uphill grades and more work for the brakes on the downhills./wc
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 V8 and a 2013 Casita 17 ft SD.
I use a WDH and a friction sway bar . I think my trailer tows better
with the WDH plus my fuel mileage has not been affected one bit nor has my braking ability . Just my experience !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
When I spoke with Frank (?) on a Sunday back in 2015, as he was showing off his demonstration Parkliner, I mentioned Lil Snoozy aerodynamic bottom design eliminating the need for sway bars, and he promptly claimed the samedesign for Parkliner.
Regarding Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, does anyone know if my all-electric Snoozy gets a pass?
As long as they don't count the extra couple inches of fender sticking out past the wheels, I bet you'll be ok.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
...Regarding Baltimore Harbor Tunnel, does anyone know if my all-electric Snoozy gets a pass?
It should, but it might invite being pulled over and checked. Anything that looks like an RV might be assumed to have LP on board. Contact information to double check is here. If it's not a windy day, the Francis Scott Key Bridge gives nicer views of the harbor and the industrial heart of Baltimore.

Mike, the 8' width restriction only applies to the Harbor tunnel (I-895), which I would avoid in any case- it's a mess right now, very rough, under renovation. The Ft. McHenry tunnel (I-95) has no special width restriction. I apologize for confusing the names. When I lived there the Harbor tunnel was the only tunnel and I-95 was routed through it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:27 PM   #25

Name: Mary
Trailer: Parkliner; TV 2012 Nissan Murano
New Jersey
Update

Well, my son and I picked up our new Parkliner 2 weeks ago. There was really no sway to speak of. We drove through downpours, up and down hills, highways and back roads. Tom Bass explained that the sides have a 3 degree curve that is supposed to eliminate "push" when big rigs pass by. It was amazing how well it worked. On Route 81 there are lots of big rigs. The entire time I felt a little push just once, by a big bus. I did notice the back end of the SUV sinking quite a bit, so we shifted weight out of the back of the SUV and to the back of the camper. That helped distribute the weight. I see no room on the tongue for installing a weight distribution kit, and sway was not an issue, so I think this issue is resolved. The camper is an absolute charm. I think I'm in love there are no mechanical or technical problems at all. I know people had some problems back when the company started 5 years ago, but that's history and I hope people can let it go at this point.
MaryNJWildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:25 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, Mary! Hope you have many happy journeys in your Parkliner.

I would caution against moving too much weight to the back of the trailer. It is possible to get the tongue too light. Tongue weight should be 10-12% of total weight for stable towing. At some point it would be good to check your loaded real-world weight and tongue weight. (If you do, I hope you'll post in the Trailer Weights in the Real World thread- it'll help the next person.)

I would still recommend a friction sway bar. I know you didn't experience any sway under normal conditions, which is as should be. The sway bar is for the unusual and unexpected- like when you have to swerve and brake suddenly going down a curved mountain grade to avoid a boulder, or something like that.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:30 AM   #27

New Jersey
Thank you, Jon!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:14 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Welcome to the "Club". Your experience mirrors ours. It tows very well.
Did you find that the safety chains are too long? I took mine off and cut them shorter to fit our hookup. It is actually just one long chain attached with one bolt so I only had to cut it once.
Safe Travels.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #29

New Jersey
The safety chains are long but manageable. Parkliner might be putting on shorter ones now than they did in the past.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #30

New Jersey
Update on this issue with my Parkliner: The trailer tows very well on smooth highways and there is no sway or anything. I'm still bothered by how much it weighs down the back end of the Murano (yes, even with repacking everything to push weight away from the back end of the Murano and towards the back end of the trailer). I thought about adding "air lift helpers" which are inflatable air bags wrapped around the rear coils of the Murano. The trailer shop advised me against it and pushed the weight distribution system again. I concurred but then they refused to get back to me. So again, I think that's overkill. I found another trailer shop and they agreed to install the air lift helpers next week. Once I learn how they work, I'll update folks here. In order to be helpful in general, should I be starting a new thread somewhere for discussion on the air lift helpers? https://www.etrailer.com/susp-2012_Nissan_Murano.htm
Old 06-29-2017, 10:26 AM   #31

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Another option, if the Murano has room for them, is Booster Shocks.
Meanwhile, just take care to not carry much heavy stuff in the back of the car.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've never understood why one would add stiffness to the rear suspension as a fix. The weight is still there.
On the other hand, a weight distribution hitch does just what the name says. It shifts weight from the rear axle to the front axle of the tow vehicle and to the trailer axle(s). If you have four-wheel-drive ( or AWD ), the primary drive wheels are the front wheels. It's pretty much a front-wheel-drive vehicle, unless traction is required, which engages the rear.
Where my headlights are pointed is not a concern of mine since I don't tow at night. My concern is a secure and comfortable ride, and WDH accomplishes all that.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #33

New Jersey
Glenn, a bit of an issue for the Parkliner is that there is no room to attach the arms of the weight distribution system. The battery cover wraps around the tow bar, and the propane tanks are right in front of the battery. The shop said they'd have to replace the battery cover and move the propane tanks more to the front. They said they could do that but then didn't get back to me. I wonder if doing work like that would also void the warranty.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryNJWildlife View Post
Glenn, a bit of an issue for the Parkliner is that there is no room to attach the arms of the weight distribution system.
Well, that's not very helpful.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #35

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryNJWildlife View Post
The battery cover wraps around the tow bar, and the propane tanks are right in front of the battery. The shop said they'd have to replace the battery cover and move the propane tanks more to the front.
Yes, I see that in looking at some photos on the web. By "tow bar" you mean the rails of the A frame I assume.

It's an interesting design, but I think it points out a minor design flaw. There are lots of smaller vehicles which would probably benefit by using a WDH when towing a Parkliner, even a relatively lightweight one.

Perhaps an easy fix would be to add a platform across the A frame right behind the tanks that the battery could sit on. Should be easy and cheap to have something welded up. Nothing would wrap around the frame rails and you'd have room for the WDH brackets if needed.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #36

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've never understood why one would add stiffness to the rear suspension as a fix. The weight is still there.
On the other hand, a weight distribution hitch does just what the name says. It shifts weight from the rear axle to the front axle of the tow vehicle and to the trailer axle(s). If you have four-wheel-drive ( or AWD ), the primary drive wheels are the front wheels. It's pretty much a front-wheel-drive vehicle, unless traction is required, which engages the rear.
Where my headlights are pointed is not a concern of mine since I don't tow at night. My concern is a secure and comfortable ride, and WDH accomplishes all that.
X2
That is really ridiculous that a WDH is a problem to put on a Parkliner but apparently the shop thinks that they can do it.

The main problem to me is that no numbers have been given such as GVWR or GCWR from vehicle manufacturer. Unit needs to be weighed fully loaded at a scale with and without the vehicle. Then determine the tongue weight. Only move weight in the trailer according to whether you need more or less tongue weight, which should be 10-15% of loaded weight. As said, weight at the back of the trailer can be a big problem and cause sway. If you look at your numbers, you will then have a much better understanding of the situation.

Also, just to point out, others set-ups may not be the same at all as yours, so they may not need a WDH at all. It seems that you could benefit from one but need numbers to get the situation straight.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #37

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Yes, I see that in looking at some photos on the web. By "tow bar" you mean the rails of the A frame I assume.

It's an interesting design, but I think it points out a minor design flaw. There are lots of smaller vehicles which would probably benefit by using a WDH when towing a Parkliner, even a relatively lightweight one.

Perhaps an easy fix would be to add a platform across the A frame right behind the tanks that the battery could sit on. Should be easy and cheap to have something welded up. Nothing would wrap around the frame rails and you'd have room for the WDH brackets if needed.
RBRYAN: I'm attaching a photo about the setup. At this time I'm not planning to mess with this. I'm on a steep learning curve here, I wish there was a neat simple diagram of a camper so that I could learn the terminology more easily. Instead of the "tow bar" I think I meant "tongue", yes that thing that looks like an A-frame and hooks up to the hitch on the car.
Attached Thumbnails
TrailerTongueSetup.jpg  
Old 07-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #38

Has to be a way.
You can easily trim propane tank cover for access to hangers, if there is room for them.
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH2.jpg   WDH bars.jpg  

Old 07-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #39

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Mary, your terminology is fine, I understand what you mean. Yes, I'm familiar with the battery cover on the Parkliner.

Pretty much any weight distribution hitch I'm aware of uses brackets on the sides of the A frame, right about where your white battery cover is.

So, what I was trying to say is, if a small platform can be welded on to the frame, centered right behind the propane tanks, the battery can be moved up to sit on that platform, rather than sitting in the container between the frame rails as it is now.

That would clear the frame where the white battery cover is now, and would allow the installation of the brackets for a weight distribution hitch.

Having said all that, provided your current setup doesn't pose any handling problems, such as sway, porpoising or a lack of steering control, you may not need a weight distribution hitch at all.

There's no set requirement that the trailer and tow be dead level when towing, but I prefer it to be as level as possible. A weight distribution hitch can help with that, but it's not it's primary purpose. It's purpose is simple: to redistribute weight from the back of your tow vehicle to the front using leverage.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #40

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
X2
That is really ridiculous that a WDH is a problem to put on a Parkliner but apparently the shop thinks that they can do it.

The main problem to me is that no numbers have been given such as GVWR or GCWR from vehicle manufacturer. Unit needs to be weighed fully loaded at a scale with and without the vehicle. Then determine the tongue weight. Only move weight in the trailer according to whether you need more or less tongue weight, which should be 10-15% of loaded weight. As said, weight at the back of the trailer can be a big problem and cause sway. If you look at your numbers, you will then have a much better understanding of the situation.

Also, just to point out, others set-ups may not be the same at all as yours, so they may not need a WDH at all. It seems that you could benefit from one but need numbers to get the situation straight.
Cathi, I got the numbers together that you suggested.
The Murano is AWD.
Murano specs:
Front curb weight = 2345
Rear curb weight = 1635
Total curb weight = 3980 (after reading, I learned that this includes fuel)
Max payload = 1195
GVWR = 5311 (not sure why this is not equal to the curbweight + payload)
Maximum tow capacity = 3500
GCWR (by my calculation) = 3980+1195+3500 = 8675

Parkliner specs:
Dry weight = 2300. GVWR = 3500. Now, I have added some options so I guess my dry weight is higher. I'll have to figure out how to get the camper to a weigh station. Do they not mind someone going on there and hitching and unhitching the camper and weighing camper weight vs. total rig weight?
My estimated dry weight = 2600. The options are loaded toward the front of the camper, like the fridge, AC, and all the wooden pieces for the bunk bed. I'm thinking that especially with 2 full LP tanks on the frame, the camper is pretty front heavy.

So, I watched the youngsters pack the rig. There were 5 of them, I'd say average 160 pounds at most, so 800 lbs. I only let them put light things into the back of the Murano like pillows and blankets, so they stayed safely below the GVWR of the TV. I made sure they don't pack the back of the Murano with cases of beer! LOL Doing this search just now has been really helpful to me, so thank you for asking!! So the payload in the Murano was at most 900 lbs.

Now, for the camper, they added the cases of beer, 15 gallons of water in the tank, luggage, 5 folding chairs, so at most another 500 pounds.
The Parkliner probably stood at most at 3100 pounds. The water tank is in the back and they packed most of their other stuff in the back of the camper. Once they shifted the weight, the Murano definitely sagged less than before.

So total weight:
3980+900+3100 = 7980 lbs (compared to GCWR 8675)

I have a Class 3 hitch which has maximum tongue weight of 600 pounds, so there is plenty of capacity there. Given all the calculations here, I figure next time I could put the bathroom scale under the jack and the weight should be about 300 pounds.

My son said the rig drove very well and smoothly. They hit some bumps at the campgrounds, that was apparently tough on the camper.

I'm attaching the photo here again to show the tongue set up.
Attached Thumbnails
TrailerTongueSetup.jpg  

Tags
parkliner, weight