Instantaneous water heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Instantaneous water heater

Truma AquaGo | www.trailerlife.com

Anyone have any experience with these? I did the search on AquaGo and came up empty. At 1k I believe I will stick with what I have but if someone is rebuilding they might consider it.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Only consider it if you'll be hooked up to shore water and sewer, and you need longer showers than 6 gallons will provide. Even without showering, you'll still use more water with these than a tank style.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Instead for showering, I'm looking for something that uses AC and provides instantaneous warm water for the sink.
Listening...........................
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
For electric I think that it is a non-starter for RV and most would use 15 amps or so on 120VAC.
Even at the limit of 120 volt system it would have limited temperature rise.
I use a Fastar LP gas unit and it will provide all of the hot water you can use.
I think it is lighter since it doesn't have 6 gallons of water in it all the time although it may be slightly heavier than a tank heater.
I did have to replace my unit for another $80.00 due to water getting into the system on the road.
I found a fair amount of corrosion in the little battery compartment and I broke one of the metal springs that connects to the D cells.
After I replaced it with my spare I checked the power switch that I had forgotten about also on the bottom.
I found that it had high resistance and turning it on an off a few times brought the resistance right down.
It is possible that is all I would have had to do to fix the unit IF I HAD THOUGHT OF IT at the time.
Here is a picture of my setup on the extended tongue of my 16' Scamp. I fabricated the SS and Lexan enclosure, but I have seen other units just mounted in the open and they seem to work OK as well.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #5

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
For electric I think that it is a non-starter for RV and most would use 15 amps or so on 120VAC.
Even at the limit of 120 volt system it would have limited temperature rise.
I use a Fastar LP gas unit and it will provide all of the hot water you can use.
I think it is lighter since it doesn't have 6 gallons of water in it all the time although it may be slightly heavier than a tank heater.
I did have to replace my unit for another $80.00 due to water getting into the system on the road.
I found a fair amount of corrosion in the little battery compartment and I broke one of the metal springs that connects to the D cells.
After I replaced it with my spare I checked the power switch that I had forgotten about also on the bottom.
I found that it had high resistance and turning it on an off a few times brought the resistance right down.
It is possible that is all I would have had to do to fix the unit IF I HAD THOUGHT OF IT at the time.
Here is a picture of my setup on the extended tongue of my 16' Scamp. I fabricated the SS and Lexan enclosure, but I have seen other units just mounted in the open and they seem to work OK as well.
Hi JD,
I do have the concern as you mentioned about a AC one. I will take a look at Fastar one. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #6

Name: Bruce
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
New Hampshire
Eco-Smart

For shore power - There is a compact AC tankless HW heater line called ECO-smart that they sell at HD. Range from $250-$500.
Also an LP 2 gpm tankless from Marey for $162 that's relatively small. 12x17x5. Probably meant for sinks and sink type showers. Higher capacity models get pretty large and Pricey.
But my 6 gal LP HW heater warms up pretty quick and even if left on doesn't use a lot of gas. And after I turn it off it stays hot for hours. Tough to beat unless you need a lot of hot water.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
But my 6 gal LP HW heater warms up pretty quick and even if left on doesn't use a lot of gas. And after I turn it off it stays hot for hours. Tough to beat unless you need a lot of hot water.
And, that is truly instantaneous hot water, unlike the on demand that requires you to run water until hot flows.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBoler72 View Post
Instead for showering, I'm looking for something that uses AC and provides instantaneous warm water for the sink.
Listening...........................
;Noted on the Vancouver, BC Craigslist a quick water heater works off Batteries and Propane instant hot water ad says 8 liters per minute, I believe they were selling this for around $200.00 Canuck dollar.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #9

Alberta
Thank all for the valuable information.

I looked at POU 6 http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/n...ote=1&p=645159
It uses 1 x 5.5 KW @ 220V and requires Electrical Panel @ 100 Amps. My trailer electrical panel is limited to 15 Amps. I have no idea how to solve this limits.
Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #10

Smith Valley, Nevada
Easy. Don't install an electric instant water heater. Problem solved.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
People seem to love: Eccotemp L5 tankless

$120.00. Biggest challenge might be mounting it safely outside on a fiberglass unit. Maybe on a bracket or board on the hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B000TXOJQ4/ref=mw_dp_cr
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:05 PM   #12

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
maybe it's just me.....

but I consider 6 gallons somewhat "tankless" to begin with ....6 gallons is pretty darn small.....my water heater is located close to the shower so little or no wasted water waiting for the hot to come on.... none at all actually if one does the usual (teeth, shave) before showering using the hot faucet....

in my trailer the kitchen is the farthest away from the heater....so after dinner, before doing the dishes, I fill the coffee pot for the next mornings coffee...from the hot side...no waste whatsoever

with my heater if I don't use hot water the thing never cycles anyways (the pilot light is enough heat to keep the 6 gallons hot indefinitely)

article mentioned the "roar" from a regular heater (????) time for a burner tune-up I'd say....mine roars for the first 5 seconds and that's it

no issue here...sounds a lot like a solution looking for a problem to me....and it's mega bucks compared to the tried and true usual appliance
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #13

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
but I consider 6 gallons somewhat "tankless" to begin with ....6 gallons is pretty darn small.....my water heater is located close to the shower so little or no wasted water waiting for the hot to come on.... none at all actually if one does the usual (teeth, shave) before showering using the hot faucet....

in my trailer the kitchen is the farthest away from the heater....so after dinner, before doing the dishes, I fill the coffee pot for the next mornings coffee...from the hot side...no waste whatsoever

with my heater if I don't use hot water the thing never cycles anyways (the pilot light is enough heat to keep the 6 gallons hot indefinitely)

article mentioned the "roar" from a regular heater (????) time for a burner tune-up I'd say....mine roars for the first 5 seconds and that's it

no issue here...sounds a lot like a solution looking for a problem to me....and it's mega bucks compared to the tried and true usual appliance
I agree completely.
Raspy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #14

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
All I can say is you cannot hear my Fastar at all from onside the trailer and barely standing next to it.
It cost about $80.00 and I an not carrying 80 lbs of water that I can't use to supplement the 10 gallons in the tank.
The Fastar will provide all the water (hot) that you can use and it uses very little lp.
Probably the same or less than a standard water heater.
That being said it is not for everyone.
I saved space in the trailer proper and used space on the tongue .
I have used several unconventional things to save money or just try something new.
The biggest problem with the Fastar is too hot water and it takes a little experimenting to get the temp you want.
For me SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED mandated no propane in the Shell of the trailer and there is none.
Several have tried and are happy with the tankless systems, but if you don't think it is a good idea it's all good.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner