1982 Fiber Stream Floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2006, 04:07 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I've been making progress on my trailer overhaul over the past few weeks, and have come across an issue. I am interested in what others have seen and/or done about it.

The Fiber Stream fiberglass shell is screwed from below the trailer to the 1/2" plywood floor. The floor, and thereforr the trailer shell is attached to the trailer frame with an array of 1/4" carriage bolts along the plywood edges.

I have noticed that virtually all my 1/4" carriage bolts are wll sunk into the flooring, and quite loose, from 1/16" to as much as 3/16". Lying below the trailer, I can wiggle them very easily.

Has anyone had a similar issue and what did you do?

I am thinking that the carriage bolts below the bed benches will be replaced with regular bolts and 1/4" fender washers.

The ones in the middle of the floor will be removed, the floor fiberglassed (I was planning to do this anyway to strengthen the floor), and then new carriage bolts installed.

Any thoughts on these ideas?
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I think Lynn Peters has done the most extensive Fiber Stream reflooring or anyone on this board. Her floor was soft and rotted through in a few spots. She contracted out the work. Everyone else has replanked atop a bad place or two. Your post provides me with valuable information about what's under my trailer. Your plan sounds as sensible as any other plan for attacking the problem.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
Has anyone had a similar issue and what did you do?
At the moment, all of my floor fasteners are tight, as they have been since I bought the trailer... I have a different issue with a sagging frame... but am "living with it" for the time being.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Gee, victor and fred, now if a few bolts would only fix MY sagging frame..........
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
You could try Elevator Bolts. I have used these in restoring horse carrages and they work great in wood. I would suggest Stainless Steel though. Do it once and you will never need to do it again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolts.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	3068
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
You could try Elevator Bolts.
What a great idea! There is also a somewhat local supplier, The Bolt Supply House in Edmonton.

In your debt;

Victor
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Con

You are welcome Victor. I am just cram full of usless informatiom.
Gee! I haven't been out your way in a few years. We aere always on our way to the llama sale in Red Deer.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Elavator bolts! How cool!

(And I was going to suggest fender washers.)

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
Con

For those of you who have other fastening problems to solve.
Here is another fastener I have used in wood work. Tee Nuts are very useful in some applications.
At the turn of the century there were a whole lot of carriage makers out of work when the automobile makers started to come into production. Many switched over to some of the car makers like Chev.
I found Tee nuts in the wood body framing of a friends 1932 Chev. that I was redoing the framing for. I found a supply of new ones at a old hardware store in our town.
Ford switched to steel body framing quite early on so that put a bunch more wood workers out of work.
Attached Thumbnails
Tee_Nuts.jpg  
Old 05-19-2006, 10:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
con,

what is happening to the link you supplied? i click on it and begin to read when it suddenly shrinks and blurs so i cannot read it. this happened on both the elevator bolts and tee bolts, both of which i need for some stuff in my studio.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Send a message via MSN to KenReiss
Quote:
i click on it and begin to read when it suddenly shrinks and blurs so i cannot read it.
If you are using XP and IE, allow your mouse to hover over the image without moving the pointer. After about 2 seconds you'll see an 'enlarge' icon on the bottom right of the image.
KenReiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
Con

Can't explain it. They are .jpg attachments so should be no problem.
If you want to see any of the items go to http://www.mcmaster.com/
When I was still working as a draftsman this was my bible for hard to find items.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:21 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Can't explain it. They are .jpg attachments so should be no problem.
If you want to see any of the items go to http://www.mcmaster.com/
When I was still working as a draftsman this was my bible for hard to find items.
It's not your attachments, it is the biggest Win XP annoyance I know. Followed shortly by the removal of shrink to fit in print preview. The first wastes time, the second paper.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiber stream