Fiber Stream VIN Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
I'm having an issue with my insurance company regarding the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of my trailer. Since it is in the shop, new brakes, will someone confirm for me how many digits are in your Fiber Stream's VIN? All of my documentation shows 16. The underwriter won't finish processing since he says I have to have 17 numbers.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Quantum-5 5th Wheel 1980
Don't know what his problem is. Most older trailers do not have 17 didgets in the vin. I don't have my Fiber Stream papers with me here but my 1980 Quantum only has 11 didgets and I have no problem with registration or insurance. Show him a copy of the registration with the vin and tell him to get on with it. Maybe he is new to the busness and just does not know any better.
Ron Wrighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Will someone confirm for me how many digits are in your Fiber Stream's VIN?
On my Fiber Stream the VIN "plate" is actually a thick tinfoil like sticker next to the amber (street) side marker light, glued to the fiberglass body, about the size of a business card. It lists the Manufacturer; "The Fiber Stream Company", of "Mira Loma, California", Date of Manufacture; "month: 3 year: 1978", and the [b]VIN: FS-78-1041. The sticker looks like a blank government form that was filled out on an manual typewriter before it was glued to the body of the trailer.

I recently met Becki, a Fiber Stream owner who lives very close to where my office is. You can practically see both trailers on their respective storage spots from the same vantage point, yet neither of us knew the other existed until 2 weeks ago!

She bought hers new, and has owned it continuously since. She picked it up from the "Factory", but she said that the "company" was a husband & wife team, the wife ran the office, and the husband built them all by hand himself. RJordanX2 also said that his mother, the original owner of his Fiber Stream, said the same thing.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #4

Registry
Thumbs up

What is this now with 17 digits???
My line for VIN = FS-78-1041, eight digits.
I have a line for Manufacturer ID# = 03-1667, six digits
I also have a line for PA# = 10720, five digits (what's a PA#?)
Old 08-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
This excerpts a response Brian-BP provided me on this topic:
Quote:
It could be that Fiber Stream also did not follow the standard (which perhaps wasn't required then), or that they didn't do it correctly. It may only be coincidence that the code on the trailer is nearly the same length as a standard VIN.

There is a Wikipedia page - Vehicle Identification Number - which describes the standard. Fredrick has said in a couple of posts (in the Fiber Stream Registry and in Show us your Rigs) that his starts with "FS" then a two-digit year, and it is also very short: this is certainly not compliant with the standard. It doesn't even start off right, since the first character must be a country of origin and the year is a single character in the tenth position.

Perhaps they just left off the code for the U.S., leaving your VIN one digit short? In that case, I don't know which of the U.S. codes (1, 4, or 5) should be used - I'm guessing that it depends on the manufacturer identifier (which is assumed to be "FS". By the time Toyota started making cars (e.g. my van) in the U.S., they ended up with "5TD" as their country/manufacturer code. You might want to check that Wikipedia page and see how your VIN lines up with the standard
Everytime I go out to the trailer I forget to double check my VIN. I guess I'm at that stage in life where I can't do without to do lists.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #6

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Prior to 1980 there was not an accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats.

My Fiber Stream has continuously been registered in California, without bureaucratic difficulty, so I will just count my blessings.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Benita:

These are the only identification labels/stickers on my trailer.

1982 Fiber Stream Identification Stickers

1. Weathered silver sticker, driver’s side front of trailer

VIN FS 821003
PA No. 10720
Manufacturer’s ID No. 33-1667
Fiber Stream 2 / 82
Mira Loma CA 562 – 5700

2. Weathered silver on blue sticker by the trailer entry door

State of California RV Compliance Label
693422 RV

3. Weathered silver sticker by the trailer entry door

Diversified Travel Enterprises