Anyone "X-Ray" a Fiberstream? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2007, 07:39 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
[THe original blocking only connected sheet-to-sheet. I put in blocking fiberglassed to the trailer shell.

Yes you do have to remove the walls to remove the foam.

The luan is so thin, I would be concerned with damging it by tring to remove the paper. I would just install new plywood and then paper, or install new wood paneling.

In the bathroom, your idea of a fiberglass panel is ideal, but remove everything off that wall first, rather than coing cutouts. Try to use as complete a sheet as possible.

My opinions for what they're worth.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I also can not understand just what they were thinking when it was decided to make you crawl over the toilet to get to the shower????...
This seemed strange to me when I saw the Fiber Stream layout, too.

In my Boler B1700RGH, the toilet sits directly on top of the blackwater tank, which in turn sits on top of the floor, not hung under the floor like the freshwater and greywater tanks. The area under a toilet is not large enough for the black tank (I think mine is 10 gallons), so the tank extends (back, relative to the toilet, towards the front of the trailer) under the dinette seat. I've heard of similar packaging in other eggs.

I can only guess that the toilet in the Fiber Stream similarly sits on top of the black tank, which is very large (reported as 18 gallons) and then must extend under the closet. If the toilet were in the street side corner, then the black tank would have to extend under the kitchen counter. Maybe I'm guessing wrong and the black tank us under the floor, but with the bathroom right at the back and in a trailer with a very shallow frame, that seems unlikely to me. I'm sure one of the experienced Fiber Stream owners can straighten this out.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #23

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I can only guess that the toilet in the Fiber Stream similarly sits on top of the black tank, which is very large (reported as 18 gallons) <strike>and then must extend under the closet.</strike> If the toilet were in the street side corner, then the black tank would have to extend under the kitchen counter. Maybe I'm guessing wrong and the [b]black tank us under the floor, but with the bathroom right at the back and in a trailer with a very shallow frame, that seems unlikely to me. I'm sure one of the experienced Fiber Stream owners can straighten this out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer_Connection.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	7328

The Black and Gray Holding tanks are [b]identical and are strapped side-by-side beneath the floor, and are made of black plastic. (I slopped some spray primer paint onto the back of the Black Tank) Their bottoms slope down toward the street side; they are <strike> 2 </strike> 3" thick on the high side, and <strike> 4 </strike> 6" thick on the low side, and each is approximately 24" x 48".

Name:	Toilet.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	7329

The Black Tank is in back, and is below both the toilet AND shower. The Vent pipe from the Black Tank to the roof is behind the Toilet, inside the Closet. The Toilet is over the shallow half of the Black Tank, and is on a platform elevated 9" above the floor.

The Gray Tank is forward; between the Black Tank and the Rear Axle, and is below the Kitchen Cabinetry AND the floor where you stand to wash at the Double-Bowl Kitchen Sink. The Shower is elevated 5" above the floor, which facilitates it's Drain runing forward laterally ABOVE the floor, into the Kitchen Cabinet area where it joins with the two sink drains. The Vent pipe from the Gray tank to the roof begins under the front corner of the Kitchen Cabinet, then with two 45 degree turn fittings, penetrates the wall between the Kitchen and Shower, and completes the run to the roof in the shower.

To get the Largest Shower square footage possible without intruding into valueable Kitchen real estate, It is located in the corner, and is 30" x 30". (The Closet, in the opposite corner, is 24" x 24".) However, in the intricate jigsaw puzzle of drain plumbing, the shower's elevation makes it lack head room below the compound curves of the corner.

At 5'6" tall, this is no problem FOR ME.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #24

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...To get the Largest Shower square footage possible without intruding into valuable Kitchen real estate, It is located in the corner, and is 30" x 30". (The Closet, in the opposite corner, is 24" x 24".)...
Thanks, Frederick, for the explanation and illustration. With the photo, it seems that the black tank could have been placed above the floor under the toilet - that's as big a step up as my Boler has to clear its tank. I guess the toilet area ends up being about 80"-24"-30"=26" wide and from 24" deep on the closet end to 30" deep on the shower end.

I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to have the toilet in the corner, and an oddly shaped shower area with more headroom - and easier access without having to get past the toilet - but packaging is always a challenge in a trailer.

Quote:
The Black and Gray Holding tanks ...
... are 2" thick on the high side, and 4" thick on the low side, and each is approximately 24" x 48".
Wow, that's one shallow set of tanks! Mine are 6" to 8" deep, sitting between the 4" tall frame rails.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Fred
That was some description!
I am now wondering if yours has the same odd second vent that mine does under the kitchen sink area?
The one does go up,thru the wall and out the roof from the same area.
The second does go thru the closet and then thru the roof.
But then there is a third "Bonus" vent that seems to come up next to the Gray one and is vented right under the sink?

Any idea?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:04 PM   #26

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Wow, that's one shallow set of tanks! Mine are 6" to 8" deep, sitting between the 4" tall frame rails.
I believe I may have underestimated the depth of the tanks.
It looks like they are 6" thick at the deep end.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #27

Registry
Talking

Quote:
I am now wondering if yours has the same odd second vent that mine does under the kitchen sink area?

The one does go up,thru the wall and out the roof from the same area.

The second does go thru the closet and then thru the roof.

But then there is a third "Bonus" vent that seems to come up next to the Gray one and is vented right under the sink?

Any idea?

Ed

Your "2nd pipe thru the closet and then thru the roof" is the [b]Black tank vent.

Name:	000_0535.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	7388

Name:	000_0534.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	7390

The [b]Top Left picture shows the vertical run of the vent/drain pipe along the left side, just inside the kitchen cabinet door.

The top-most horizontal pipe is the drain from the Bathroom Sink. (Is this your "Bonus" Vent?) I added the [b]Top Right picture so you can follow that pipe into the back corner where the drain turns 90 degrees to penetrate the wall under the bathroom sink, along with the bathroom sink's gray supply lines.

The next horizontal pipe down is the drain for the Kitchen sinks, with the trap.

Then, in the [b]Bottom Left photo we see the short run of the 3rd horizontal pipe. This is the Shower drain. The Vertical pipe goes thru the floor into the Gray Tank.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0536.jpg  
Old 04-19-2007, 09:25 PM   #28

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
--><div class='quotemain'>
Ed-

I, Ellen B. have a Burro not a Fiberstream. Wish I could chime in and help you out but I don't know anything about the Fiberstreams except I like them. Good Luck

Ellen B.
[/quote]

Oops . I meant Lynn Peters. After looking at her "For Sale" photos in the Classified section I was reminded that most of the work I remember her getting into was flooring specific.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #29

Registry
The shower drain pipe dissapears behind a panel, that I found is removeable.

Name:	000_0537.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	7391

With the panel removed, you can see the trap for the Shower Drain and the plywood box structure that supports the Shower Pan.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #30

Registry
Talking

Name:	000_0539.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	7392

Here are two views, showing the 2 Drain/Vent pipes that penetrate the wall into the bathroom.
The Black pipe in the back corner is the Bathroom Sink Drain.
The White pipe in the bathroom is just the continuation of the Gray Tank's vent thru the roof.

I took the second picture to better illustrate the transition from under the front left corner of the Kitchen Cabinet, to the white pipe in the shower that goes thru the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0540.jpg  
Old 04-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #31

Registry
Talking

Name:	000_0538.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	7394

The vertical seam between the Fiberglass shell and the Melamine Wall has a thick Rubber like molding. It is very much like the gasket that seals the glass in a window. Is this where you have a gap?

When I bought my trailer, there was a gap around the shower pan, where it met the Fiberglass outer curved wall. The Previous owner just plastered a LOT of Duct Tape over the gap.

I cleaned off the Duct Tape and it's residue, and used Eternabond RV Roof Repair to seal the joint around the curve.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:15 AM   #32

Holy Cow Fred,did you borrow one of Ginas; monkeys to take those shots?
Thanks for the photos and descriptions but there is another bizarre(to me) vent in the under sink space in the kitchen. The strangest part is that is vvents just in the undersink space.

I will try to get the cat next door to get some pics of it later.

Ed
Old 04-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #33

So I got down and really looked at this for a minute and it seems the extra vent is a seperate vent for the shower but it is right next to the grey tank vent from the sinks.

What is odd about it is that the shower vent is vented to the space under the sink?
There is a vent cap of sorts right there and then that pipe just ends.

Does this make sense to anyone?
I wonder if I should try to get the shower ventline into the sink ventline so it goes out thru the roof as I thought it should?

The pipe for this looks original and there is no hint that it was plumbed in after the trailer was built,at least not from the brief inspection I just made.

Huh?
Inquiring minds want to know??????

I will post a picture later today.

Thanks
Ed
Old 04-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
Hey Ed!

Does the acquisition of the Fiberstream mean you have 2 trailers again? And the same storage problem?

Dale
Patricia Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Hey Ed!

Does the acquisition of the Fiberstream mean you have 2 trailers again? And the same storage problem?

Dale
Hi Dale.

Nice to hear from you,any Pics?????Just curious

I was back up to two again for a brief time and the funny thing was that the city sent me a nasty letter again.
This time it is about the number of cars I have and mentions nothing about trailers at all.
I asked them why if they are all licensed do I have a problem and they just said "Because".
The issue of the Two Trailers never even came up although that is what started things last year.

Oh Well.

The city I live in is known as "The City of Warmth" too!

I wasn't certain which trailer I would keep until I was able to check out the Fiberstream but now that I have.....The 4500 has made its way down the road already!

So now I am back to one lonely trailer in the driveway and things look simple again.
Now if I only stop looking at RV Classifieds,Not too likely.

Ed
Old 05-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #36

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1981
Quote:
Thanks for the photos and descriptions but there is another bizarre(to me) vent in the under sink space in the kitchen. The strangest part is that is vvents just in the undersink space.

I will try to get the cat next door to get some pics of it later.

Ed
This is the vent Ed was asking about: Its the short pipe on the right with a revent cap.
Attached Thumbnails
FS___OTHER_068.jpg  
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberstream