FiberStream - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: FiberStream
California
FiberStream

Greetings, I am getting ready to re-inforce my frame. Has any one flipped the axles and installed 13" tires on a FiberStream. Would it be better to use a new Dexter axle (single) and go to a 14" or 15" wheel.
Thanks Tony
TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Greetings, I am getting ready to re-inforce my frame. Has any one flipped the axles and installed 13" tires on a FiberStream. Would it be better to use a new Dexter axle (single) and go to a 14" or 15" wheel.
Thanks Tony
We flipped our frame and kept the double axles and 12" tires. We did it for the increased ground clearance. It cost us about 2mpg - more hull in the slip stream. I like the idea of an extra wheel on each side so a single axle wasn't in the cards for us. There seems to be room for 13" wheels and tires - they make a four lug wheel. I just haven't measured precisely but there seems to be plenty of clearance in the wheel well. Clearance between tires might be an issue. However, the expense for 5 wheels and tires is steep and the advantages don't seem worth the cost.

We also reinforced the frame.

Let me know what you decide and if you switch I really would like to know how it works out.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:16 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Tony;

I hacve flipped my Fiber Stream axles, but without any reinforcing or going to a larger tire. The purpose was solely to gain the extra ground clearance. It is a substantial step up now, requiring a stool.

see:

16 foot 1982 Fiber Stream pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
13" wheels have been done

Quote:
Has any one flipped the axles and installed 13" tires on a FiberStream. Would it be better to use a new Dexter axle (single) and go to a 14" or 15" wheel.
Chris Hull put 13" wheels and tires on his Fiber Stream using the original axles, but I don't think (or remember if) he flipped the axles to do it. The tires are closer to each other, but the 13's just fit within his wheel wells.

My axles have been flipped; they are spring-over instead of the original spring-under. Check out my registry pictures... the body of mine has been lifted so much that the wheels are completely out of and below the wells.

Personally, I would advise against going to a single axle. I have seen pictures of that mod on one for sale on eBay. To me it's like putting a 4-banger in a Corvette to increase it's fuel economy, or polishing a Civil War vintage firearm to make it look new.

There are 3 aspects of a Fiber Stream that make it unique:
  1. The body was molded in one piece
  2. It's the only 16' trailer with double axles
  3. The "Bubble" plexiglas rock guard over the front window

Change any of those, and you might as well have bought a Scamp.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #5

California
Hey Fellas, Thanks for the input. I have had my trailer for 10 yrs. I am the second owner. Do you have any recomendations on brand of 12" tires. Mine crack real bad in less than a year. I only get a year of service out of them.That is why I was looking to change wheel size. I will post some photos soon. I think I have most the original Documention that came with my trailer.
Regards Tony
Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #6

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Do you have any recommendations on brand of 12" tires. Mine crack real bad in less than a year. I only get a year of service out of them.
My Fiber Stream is stored now in Quartzsite until the February rally, so I cannot read the brand off the sidewall. The invoice says:
  • PN 519324, 5.30-12 / 6PLY, DEESTONE
They've been on the trailer since October 22, 2008

I am fastidious in keeping them clean, using a tire dressing, and keeping them covered when parked for more than a weekend.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
My Fiber Stream is stored now in Quartzsite until the February rally, so I cannot read the brand off the sidewall. The invoice says:
They've been on the trailer since October 22, 2008

I am fastidious in keeping them clean, using a tire dressing, and keeping them covered when parked for more than a weekend.
Thanks Fred, I will try the tire dressing. The tires are covered. My parents are at Quartzsite now cruzzin the swaps.

Regards Tony
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 76 Fiber Stream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Hi Fred, I searched for these tires but were unable to find them. Where did you get them? What name is on the invoice? I know that was a long time ago but it still might help. Also, how do you keep your tires covered? Did you find a tire cover that fits these tiny little wheels? And do you happen to remember the name of the Canadian rubberized product you used for the rock guard and under-coating? Do you still recommend it? Any other comments or suggestions re: tires, tire covers, spare tire attachment, tire jack, under-coating, etc. TIA.

I've been gone a long time but am getting back on task.
lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 76 Fiber Stream
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay View Post
Hi Fred, I searched for these tires but were unable to find them. Where did you get them?
Update. I changed the search parameters and did find quite a number of other 5.30-12 6-Ply tires. Tubeless. With and without rims. Can I presume all of these would work? Is there anything unique re: the Fiber Stream wheels/rims/lugs that should be taken into consideration? TIA.

Still interested in your feedback re: the other questions. Thanks.
lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Is there anything unique re: the Fiber Stream wheels/rims/lugs that should be taken into consideration?
Lindsay;

Measure the distance between the lug holes acroos the centre opening, and then measure the centre opening as well. The distance between the lug holes across the centre opening gives you the diameter on which the lugs are set. That must be the same for the rims to fit. The centre opening allows for your bearing cap, and must be the same or slightly larger.

Vic
Old 08-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #11

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Where did you get them?
What name is on the invoice?
Also, how do you keep your tires covered?
Did you find a tire cover that fits these tiny little wheels?
And do you happen to remember the name of the Canadian rubberized product you used for the rock guard and under-coating?
Any other comments or suggestions re: tires, tire covers, spare tire attachment, tire jack, under-coating, etc.
I get all of my tire/wheel/alignment needs met at Tire Depot San Diego: Discount Tires and Wheel Alignment on Adams Avenue near I-805 in San Diego, CA. I buy whatever Jim recommends; he does all the measuring. Just before my recent trip to the Oregon Gathering I had to replace all of the wheels and tires. My original wheels had stress cracked and were ready to fail, plus my tires were worn.

I got my two pairs of tire covers at Camping World. I just bought the smallest ones that were in stock at my local store.

I do not use an undercoating, that may have been Tom U. or Victor Benz.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #12

Registry
When I flipped the axles on my Fiber Stream, I noted the aluminum floor sheathing underneath the trailer was in very rough shape. It is very thin, and had severely corroded wherever the frame and sheathing met. I could pull it off in complete rectangles in most places. I removed all that I could, and let the flooring dry out completely. Then I applied a combination of generic brush-on and spray undercoat that I bought at the local auto store. I paid particular attention to the wheelwells, because I saw evidience of water damage inside from leakage in that area. See my photos:

four photos in top row.

last 5 photos

Vic
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Any other comments or suggestions re: ... spare tire attachment, tire jack, ...
I mount the spare under the tongue. I bought a plain U-shaped RV spare tire bracket and placed it over the center member of the tongue. The tire bolts up from the bottom. I left the threaded legs long just in case if the nuts loosen it would take a long time for them to work loose enough for the tire to fall off.

I just keep a 4-Ton Hydraulic jack in the compartment under the bunk.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0359.jpg   100_0360.jpg  

Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hmmm, I wonder if your jack will be able to lift with your extended height. Some have a limit on their lift height. Also you may want to twist a piece of wire between the 2 spare lugs as a "backup" to keep the nuts on, or possibly drilling a hole thru the bolt and inserting a wire, similar to "wiring" a motorcar or motorcycle for the track, it keeps vibration from loosening bolts.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #15

Registry
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Also you may want to twist a piece of wire between the 2 spare lugs as a "backup" to keep the nuts on, or possibly drilling a hole thru the bolt and inserting a wire, similar to "wiring" a motorcar or motorcycle for the track, it keeps vibration from loosening bolts.
I like that idea. I have 2 sets of 10 each of the yellow leveling "Lego" bricks, and usually have enough to bring the jack up to height.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What I meant was your 4 ton jack, have you ever tried to use it with your elevated trailer?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #17

Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What I meant was your 4 ton jack...
Me too. If I Jack under the axle, it's tall enough by itself. If I Jack at a frame member and it's too short, I put a couple of Yellow "Lego" bricks under it.

Tags
fiberstream