Surfside TM 14 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Surfside
Ontario
Registry
Surfside TM 14

Hello

Just wanted to post a few pictures of my 1978 surfside trailer. The trailer is in need of a few repairs - water leaking at / bye back window - a few minor cracks in fibreglass that need to be repaired. Interior in rough shape needs a overhaul.

Right I just want to fix a few of the little things and get out camping this year! A few camping trips should help me figure out what I need. The trailer has 120V fridge but I think propane may be a better option for me!

Here are a few picture of the trailer.

John
Bushman-esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #2

Ontario
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1429373565.223698.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	82818

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

1978 Surf Side TM-14
2013 Hyundai Tusonhttps://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif
Old 05-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #3

Ontario
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432857051.653798.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	84617Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432857075.036405.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	84618Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1432857095.053349.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	84619

1978 Surf Side TM-14
Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Without a lot more in battery storage capacity, an inverter, and solar, "Camping" and "120 VAC refrigerators" are mutually exclusive terms at most campgrounds.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Your trailer has the vents required for a propane fridge. An older used one can be had for $100, or less.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:25 PM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Thanks. My plan is to purchase a Dometic 3 way refrigerator and install it. I just finished the rough work on the compartment where the fridge would go. The wood in this area was rough. A little rotten. I removed the rotten wood and cleaned up. Fiber glassed what was left after filling the holes. The piece that is there is tied to to the trailer body fiberglass so it was easier to repair than replace.

I an currently trying to source a rubber mat to install below the refrigerator to tap water and allow it to evaporate without causing damage to trailer.

In the mean time I am planning to start working on some of the cabinets. Repairing and upgrading. I have several ideas and a rough plan at this point. A little more work on what is required to get where I would like is still need at this point.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #7

Did you first get the installation instructions for the Dometic Refrigerator you want to install. Baffles and venting can be very critical to proper operation and what an older one needed can be very different from a newer one

BTW: What Water......?

Old 06-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

Ontario
Registry
Hi

Yes I have the manufactures installation instructions. I was advised by a friend who works at an RV dealership to install some rubber matting under the unit as well! The condenser on the fridge will create condensation. This is an effective way to prevent any condensation from causing issues over time. I was able to assist him with the installation of a unit in a trailer. It seams like a good idea to me as depending on conditions condensation will most likely occur! I believe this condensation is what caused the original wood to rot in my trailer over time.
I believe the existing venting will provide the required venting for the new unit! The manufacture gives good instructions for installation with respect to the requirements for venting.

1978 Surf Side TM-14
Old 06-06-2015, 11:48 PM   #9

About the only water damage I have ever seen below a 3 way refrigerator has been from rain water through the vents. I have never heard of any significant condensation on the exterior part of the cooling circuit. I have been running my Dometic for 5 days straight and I will check on the morning for any condensation. I really think if it was a concern that dometic would make the recommendation to waterproof the surface, after all it's directly above the electrical panel for the 12 VDC and 120VAC controls.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Welcome to the site John, it's great to have you here

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #11

Ontario
Registry
camping

I have had the Surfer out for a few trips now. Camping in it is great! the trailer tows really good. I have put close to 1000 kilometers on it this year so far. We had a great week at Algonquin Park and Santa's Village. Planning on heading back to Santa's Village again this year.

I had to do a few minor repairs so far. he door hinge broke during are travels. I picked up a gate hinge at Lowe's and I filled the old holes with fiberglass resin. I then drilled new holes once the resin set and reattached door.

I purchased a three way fridge that I need to install as well as a few other items but they will need to wait till the fall now as we are having to much fun camping right now to worry about the little things.

Enjoy your summer as we are quickly approaching the time where it ends!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2047.jpg   IMG_2048.jpg  

IMG_2056.jpg  

Tags
surfside