Converter replacement - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #21

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
cost perhaps....

I just googled and found a Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter charger....it was over 1000 dollars !!! and on Amazon at that !!!
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:38 PM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
This might be a better choice, and even this one is bigger than most of us need

https://www.mygreenoutdoors.com/xant...0IwaApcX8P8HAQ
Old 04-15-2017, 03:51 AM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I'm surprised more people aren't (apparently) installing inverter/chargers. .............Thoughts?
My group 24 battery wouldn't last long.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #24

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We ended up purchasing a WFCO WF-8735-P Brown 35 Amp Power Center to replace our failed converter. We had to enlarge the opening a little to slide it in, but it does fit well. One thing we like is that unlike the old unit that didn't breathe very well (it exhausted the warm air in the same area where it got the cooling air in our side dinette Scamp), this one pulls air from the aisle and exhausts it to the aisle which is never as hot as it was under the seat.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #25

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
that price is better,,,

still not cheap but certainly can see the logic,,,,makes perfect sense,,,especially if one was looking at a complete rebuild or upgrade of an electrical system
Attached Thumbnails
spnew.jpg   outable1.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #26

Name: Lorie
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We ended up purchasing a WFCO WF-8735-P Brown 35 Amp Power Center to replace our failed converter. We had to enlarge the opening a little to slide it in, but it does fit well. One thing we like is that unlike the old unit that didn't breathe very well (it exhausted the warm air in the same area where it got the cooling air in our side dinette Scamp), this one pulls air from the aisle and exhausts it to the aisle which is never as hot as it was under the seat.

This looks great and more affordable. Thanks for the link!
Lorie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #27

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
One thing to watch out for with the "smart chargers" designed to fill or maintain a battery rather than the ones specifically designed for RVs/boats: some of them are designed with the assumption of no load on the battery. Once the battery's charged, they go into "float" mode with lower voltage and low amperage, and don't switch back to a bulk charge even if a load comes online and partially drains the battery.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #28

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
One thing to watch out for with the "smart chargers" designed to fill or maintain a battery rather than the ones specifically designed for RVs/boats: some of them are designed with the assumption of no load on the battery. Once the battery's charged, they go into "float" mode with lower voltage and low amperage, and don't switch back to a bulk charge even if a load comes online and partially drains the battery.

Can you tell me how to know if this is the case? Is there a specification I should look out for that will tell me if it manages the float even with a load ?
Old 04-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #29

Name: Elliott
Everywhere
Unfortunately, I don't think it's a specific feature you'd find on a spec sheet. Anything designed for boats or RVs (so, anything marked "converter/charger") will be fine. That WFCO linked above will definitely do. Anything designed to be mounted permanently someplace is probably fine.
If it's just being sold as a "battery charger" or especially "battery tender" it's a bit riskier. The Noco Genius linked on the previous page might not do a good job under load, and the Schumacher chargers definitely won't (though as an actual battery tender, they're great)
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #30

Wisconsin
I ordered the WFCO. Hopefully I'll be back in business in a couple of weekends. Thanks everyone, for the input!
Old 04-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #31

Wisconsin
I replaced the American converter with the WFCO in the link above in my 2004 Scamp 16' all by myself. Feeling more educated and empowered and even swapped out my lights for LED all around for about $160 from Amazon. I had to cut the opening about a half inch taller with a carbide bit in a jigsaw to fit the new unit and bought a main breaker, but other than that it was a direct swap. Before connecting shore power, I did ask a knowledgeable neighbor to come check my work. Everything has tested out and working great now. Could not have made his progress without this forum. [emoji851][emoji2][emoji373][emoji322]
Old 04-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #32

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Good for you!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorie Q View Post
I replaced the American converter with the WFCO in the link above in my 2004 Scamp 16' all by myself. Feeling more educated and empowered and even swapped out my lights for LED all around for about $160 from Amazon. I had to cut the opening about a half inch taller with a carbide bit in a jigsaw to fit the new unit and bought a main breaker, but other than that it was a direct swap. Before connecting shore power, I did ask a knowledgeable neighbor to come check my work. Everything has tested out and working great now. Could not have made his progress without this forum. [emoji851][emoji2][emoji373][emoji322]
Great job, that was quick!
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp