Which Scamp Factory Options? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2017, 01:20 AM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Which Scamp Factory Options?

Greetings!

I’ve been reading this forum for a while and finally joined the tribe by placing an order for a (standard) Scamp 19 footer. I’d like to thank all of you for so generously sharing your knowledge and personal experiences. It’s been invaluable.

I’m interested in garnering some feedback from others regarding Scamp’s factory options. I will be working remotely and traveling almost full-time with my dog, so certain things (like climate controlling in various weather conditions) seemed imperative. Which add-ons do you continue to love? Which additions turned out to be superfluous? What didn’t you get that you wish you had?

I opted for the standard package:
- shower/toilet
- city water
- battery pack
- screen door
- side cabinets
- cabinets over sink
- silverware drawer
- gas hot water heater
- 12 volt water pump
- grey water tank
- bike rack receiver (I was told that this is now included in the package, so it doesn’t cost extra)

Additional options that I got:
- 3.7 cubic refrigerator
- roof fan
- air conditioner
- furnace
- extra reading lights over dinette and bed
- 3” raise
- splash guard behind stove
- vinyl floor
- extra 120 volt interior plug

Things I didn’t get but wondering if I should:
- extra 12 volt plugs
- exterior ground fault outlet
- electric water heater
- awning (I already have a large Coleman shade tent with screens, so I’m wondering if the awning is that much of a boon)
- any other secret additions

Many thanks!
Salisbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I have a 1999 13 footer.

Mine has three interior 12 volt plugs and all three come in handy. I do not believe any are included as standard any more. I would get a minimum of one, maybe two if I were ordering a new Scamp. What I use them for: Endless breeze fan in addition to the fantastic fan, Battery charger, Battery monitor, Phone/gadget charging, and 12 volt tire inflation.

I do not have an outside plug - I would definitely order one.

I would also get the option of gas or electric Hot water heater, but not as important. Would be nice to just leave it on when you have the electricity and have constant hot water, but workable without.

I have a Clam screen room - I would forego the awning. Fewer potential leak points on the roof.

I'm assuming that by "battery pack" you mean the upgraded Group 27 battery. If not, that is what I would get, thinking of converting mine the next time I need a new battery.

Congratulations on your new Scamp, I'm jealous. :-)
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:09 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
I would definitely go with the extra 12v and if Scamp will do it, an additional interior 110v outlet. I also added a USB outlet - maybe Scamp is now offering them as an option? If not consider asking them to run the 12v wiring to the location you want and it will be easy to install the outlet yourself.

We use a screen room but wouldn't want to be without our awning. We find it useful in many situations even with the screen room.

Have fun with your new scamp. We still remember the excitement of driving to Backus to pick ours up.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I would get at LEAST 3 12v outlets in a 19'er. The awning....well you have a "screen room" basically which I think is better anyway, (might like our awning better if it was the new "Fiamma" and not the goofy window-shade style!) DEFINITELY an "electric option" water heater...(I added the "Hottrod" option to mine and LOVE it!). I wound up having to add an outside 120v plug. CanNOT believe how handy it is. I added it myself and ran it from a closet plug in which I changed out to GFI. So my outside plug is still GFI but "down stream" from the master.

ENJOY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salisbr View Post
Greetings!

I’ve been reading this forum for a while and finally joined the tribe by placing an order for a (standard) Scamp 19 footer. I’d like to thank all of you for so generously sharing your knowledge and personal experiences. It’s been invaluable.

I’m interested in garnering some feedback from others regarding Scamp’s factory options. I will be working remotely and traveling almost full-time with my dog, so certain things (like climate controlling in various weather conditions) seemed imperative. Which add-ons do you continue to love? Which additions turned out to be superfluous? What didn’t you get that you wish you had?

I opted for the standard package:
- shower/toilet
- city water
- battery pack
- screen door
- side cabinets
- cabinets over sink
- silverware drawer
- gas hot water heater
- 12 volt water pump
- grey water tank
- bike rack receiver (I was told that this is now included in the package, so it doesn’t cost extra)

Additional options that I got:
- 3.7 cubic refrigerator
- roof fan
- air conditioner
- furnace
- extra reading lights over dinette and bed
- 3” raise
- splash guard behind stove
- vinyl floor
- extra 120 volt interior plug

Things I didn’t get but wondering if I should:
- extra 12 volt plugs
- exterior ground fault outlet
- electric water heater
- awning (I already have a large Coleman shade tent with screens, so I’m wondering if the awning is that much of a boon)
- any other secret additions

Many thanks!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:50 AM   #5

Name: Beverly
Ohio
5th Wheel Scamp Order

I would order extra 110 outlets inside and definitely one for outside.
Happy Trails!
Beverly Korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #6

Oregon
Thanks, everyone! I very much appreciate all of the input and support.

It looks like I will definitely add extra outlets (indoor and outdoor) and the electric water heater.

Have a great time out on the road! Enjoy that spring camping!
Old 04-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
awning

Last year I had the Fiamma awning installed. We love it.
John
Old 04-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We are pretty minimalistic when it comes to camping (aside from my propensity to "glamp" by decorating our interior. We'll choose boondocking over most any camping experience as we "get away from it all" and enjoy nature at its finest.

We have NEVER used our outdoor plug. I don't know what people use them for. Maybe for a toaster, a power waxer, a sewing machine? Rarely do we camp at sites that include electricity. We heat water on the stove.

I'm so glad to see that the kitchen drawer is now standard. Ours was optional when we bought our trailer. One caveat though...on a particularly bumpy road (that we could not avoid) the front of our drawer came undone AND the hinge on our icebox broke from the fiberglass. If each of these items had had a lock on them this damage MIGHT have been avoided.

What is a 3" raise?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #9

Alaska

We have a 19D on order too and imho now is the time to add things, especially the electric options. Outside is a MUST. We currently have a 16 and suggest you order all the extra cabinets. We don't currently have a water heater or awning so we are adding that too. (Basically we are including every option but TV) I wish they had an exterior shower option. . We also have 2 ceiling fans. One for the back and one in the sleeping area
jgutteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #10

Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
We are pretty minimalistic when it comes to camping (aside from my propensity to "glamp" by decorating our interior. We'll choose boondocking over most any camping experience as we "get away from it all" and enjoy nature at its finest.

We have NEVER used our outdoor plug. I don't know what people use them for. Maybe for a toaster, a power waxer, a sewing machine? Rarely do we camp at sites that include electricity. We heat water on the stove.

I'm so glad to see that the kitchen drawer is now standard. Ours was optional when we bought our trailer. One caveat though...on a particularly bumpy road (that we could not avoid) the front of our drawer came undone AND the hinge on our icebox broke from the fiberglass. If each of these items had had a lock on them this damage MIGHT have been avoided.

What is a 3" raise?

The raise is to be able to use a 1/2 ton pickup as a tow vehicle. The outside outlet is perfect for an electric skillet on the picnic table...
jgutteter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
…I’m interested in garnering some feedback from others regarding Scamp’s factory options. I will be working remotely and traveling almost full-time with my dog, so certain things (like climate controlling in various weather conditions) seemed imperative. ...
Quote:
...It looks like I will definitely add extra outlets (indoor and outdoor) and the electric water heater. ...
Water heater? Not needed! I got one (gas only) and never used it. When the inlet valve started leaking 18 months after I bought the Scamp, I just capped off the water line with plans to someday take the blasted - useless water heater out. If I want a little hot water, the tea kettle on my stove works much better.

How do I take a hot shower you ask? Well 99.2% of the time I find the campground showers a better option (even when they are more unpleasant than I would like). Showering in a Scamp is not really that practical and after 18 months of ownership I have not used the shower and I expect I never will, unless it is to rise off a little when it is already 90 degrees F or more. But in that case I could rinse off outside.

Now at this point if you are confused about the apparently contradictory advice, then there is a good reason for that. You see... different people have different styles of "camping." Some prefer nicer campgrounds with decent bathhouses and full utilities at their site. Some prefer to be as far from civilization as possible, with no creature comforts except those that they have brought. Most fall in between. Some camp in the north and need heat.. some in south and need air conditioning.

And there is the rub... before anyone can make truly useful suggestion as to what options you should order, they need to know what YOUR intended use of the camper is, not their own. That is something that I have seen only a hint of in this discussion.

If you are new to the RV world then you probably don't know what you really need vs. what would be nice to have vs. what is just more weight added to what you tow around and which has no discernible benefit. Although I had a good amount of experience before I ordered my Scamp, it was not enough to prevent me from including a water heater that I am pretty sure that I will never use.

Many things can be easily added to a Scamp camper as the need arises, but other things can be hard to add after–market. So my advice is to base your purchase of options on two factors:

1) Consider your intended use of the camper and the style of “camping” you envision. You might have to make some estimated guesses on this. Consider any advice you get in light of how much the camping style of the person giving the advice matches your own plans for the camper.
2) Also consider including any options that you or a future owner might need that are not easy to add after production. As much as I have concluded that, for me at least, a water heater was totally unneeded, the fact is that if I wanted a hot shower, adding a water heater and the associated plumbing after production would be a major project.

Please consider posting a reply that details you intended use of the Scamp and preferred style of camping in more detail, and expounds on your statement that you will be “working remotely.” Does that mean with utilities? Totally boondocking? Something in-between? That will help the fine folks on this forum focus in on what it really best for you.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:44 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good post Gordon, every one does have different needs. But I do have a question for you. Even though you don't use the water heater, is it really going to give you enough extra storage space to warrant the effort to remove it? I haven't used mine either, yet, but really don't see the bit of extra storage in my SD to be a plus. If, IMHO, you should pull it, you may want to hold onto it as the next owner, when the time comes, may want it, just a thought .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:03 AM   #13

Oregon
Thanks, folks! I appreciate the advice on ordering extra cabinets and securing the kitchen equipment over bumpy roads!

Another thanks for suggesting that I provide extra information on camping style to enable targeted responses. As a newbie forum poster, the art of asking the right question remains a work in progress.

I am a veteran tent camper and solo backpacker, so I am used to roughing it in the truest sense; however, my RV camping experience is limited to annual southwestern sojourns with my grandparents while growing up. Consequently, this will be a new adventure and an intense learning experience! As a rookie, I know it would be much better to first buy a used rig, but due to my overseas location, this is rather difficult.

My situation is perhaps unique in that I will enter the RV lifestyle after living in Asia for the past eight years in very basic conditions. In my own home, for example, I do not have conveniences like hot water in the kitchen, central air, a dryer, or reliable electricity. As far as the comfort level I am seeking on the road, I believe that RV life may in some ways be more luxurious than my current life. To be honest, I’m looking forward to plugging in occasionally and having hot water at my fingertips

My projection is that life on the road will contain longer stints of workamping (camp hosting, volunteering, national park summer jobs, etc.) mixed with boondocking and traditional campgrounds. Therefore, there will be periods with full hookups interspersed with periods where I will be left (blissfully) with nothing but extra water jugs and a solar panel (thinking of going with the Renogy solar suitcase, btw). Meanwhile, I hope to stay connected virtually via my laptop in order to allow my job to follow me back to the U.S. of A. I’m grateful to many bloggers, such as Technomadia, Interstellar Orchard, etc., for their compendia of resources on balancing this connectivity with solitude.

I guess if I could focus the question more… what factory features are great for workamping? Boondocking? Traveling with dogs?

Thanks a million, everyone!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #14

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
We had scamp add an extra set of tail lights.
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:59 AM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
We had scamp add an extra set of tail lights.
OK I stand corrected.. IMHO EVERYONE should get the extra tail lights. Its a good improvement on safety and adding the wiring later would be difficult to do as neatly as Scamp does it (under the rat fur).
Old 04-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
...I do have a question for you. Even though you don't use the water heater, is it really going to give you enough extra storage space to warrant the effort to remove it? I haven't used mine either, yet, but really don't see the bit of extra storage in my SD to be a plus. If, IMHO, you should pull it, you may want to hold onto it as the next owner, when the time comes, may want it, just a thought .
Thats a good point - I am still mulling options and in any case won't be puling it out before I have a sheltered area to work on it in the off-season.

One option is to use the space and the gas line for a furnace. I ordered the trailer with no furnace so that I could buy and install a better one, but I have not gotten around to that yet because its a bigger project than I thought. Maybe I should have settled for the furnace that Scamp uses since its one of those things that are a bit of work to do after-market. I think the port side might be better for the furnace so another option is to remove the water heater on the starboard side and buy a custom made marine door to get storage that is accessible from the outside. This would cost about $250 total and require no fiberglass work since the door would be made to fit the opening. As for the next owner, I fully expect I will be six feet under when the trailer goes to a new owner so I won't be too concerned with it.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #17

Name: Miguel
Florida
Lmao....I thought I was the only pilgrim who ordered a camper for me and not the convenience of the next owner.... I agree ... order it for you....and your use...[emoji106][emoji106]
mdkruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #18

Name: rick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Colorado
WATER TANK

The best "extra" that I ordered for my 04S16 was an additional 12 gallon fresh water tank under the street-side bench seat. Some 12 volt outlets would also come in handy IF they do them.
rick in arvada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
We owned a Scamp 19 for 3-years and would suggest the following:

The extra tail lights would be our first option as if you put bikes on the rear, the standard tail lights are pretty much blocked.

We used the forward cabinets a lot.

If you opt for additional lights, be sure to tell Scamp where to place them. We ordered them without specifying and ended up moving all three. The same would be true of additional interior outlets.

The outside outlet comes in handy.

If you plan to stay in campgrounds with services, the electric water heater saves propane.

If you plan to use your tow as a truck when you aren't towing, you might consider the Andersen Ultimate hitch. It's not offered by Scamp, but can be adapted to the 19 and makes the bed much more accessible.

Good luck,

David
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp