2011 19' scamp door leaking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #1

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
2011 19' scamp door leaking

I just purchased a 2011 Scamp 19'er and the door appears to leak. I see slight discoloration at the bottom and noticed wetness when I picked it up. It had just been detailed.Is there any adjustment that can be made to the door? Any other solution?Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp1.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	105026

Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp2.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	105027
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
A new seal from the Scamp parts store maybe? Or is the door warped so that it wont seal?

But "slight"? I would not call that damage slight. And if you check the floor near the door, there is a good chance will will find more wood rot.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
In an attempt to be not all doom and gloom, let me say the extent of damage depends on how long the area was wet. Staining happen quickly. To check out the door, look for light after you close the door from the inside. If there are areas that let in light, yo can build them up with double sided foam tape which you can find in hardware stores. Place this tape under the hollow seal, after you lift up parts of it.

The new style seal you can buy from Scamp has a lip on it which will definitely help, if you want to replace all of it.

Inspecting it from the inside will also tell you if the door has dropped down which will require hinge adjustment, or it its curvature is not matching the body any more. Different remedies will be required in different cases.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
In an attempt to be not all doom and gloom, let me say the extent of damage depends on how long the area was wet. ...
Perhaps I did come off as pessimistic, but the photo looks very much like there is a lot of caulk around the threshold and I assumed that caulk was done by the previous owner in a likely ineffective attempt to stop the leak. And if that is the case, I suspect the leak has been there for a long time. The caulking highlighted here is not normal.

Suggest you post lots of photos of the door closed, from inside and out, with different lighting and different angles.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp1.JPG  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:18 AM   #5

Colorado
You might be right, Gordon.

R.T. should also consider a possible leak from the inside. I see that his rig is Scamp19 Deluxe, with the bathroom and shower up front, the same as mine. I found a leak where the shower and sink plumbing comes through the wall, into the storage compartments under the steps. Even though there was a lot of caulk around those hoses, there was a leak and water would get past. I found it by squeezing the caulk and moving the tubes. I trust I got it sealed using my trusty Lexel. The leak only happens when the shower stream is aimed at the area under the sink and it may be very little water, but that area under the steps is closed up and will not dry easily. Take a close look at this, R.T. Good luck.

The area that Gordon marked on the picture is another area that is difficult to seal and I also worked on it for a while. Somebody piled up the caulk there, thinking that the more the better, but that actually may not be where the problem is.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #6

Georgia
Here are a couple more pictures. The floor seems solid. I'm thinking new door gasket?Click image for larger version

Name:	sc6.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	105037

Name:	sc21.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	105038

Name:	sc22.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	105039
Old 04-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #7

Colorado
The hinge side of the door may get very tight, as is your case, but the leaks will probably happen somewhere else. I also see some rust color around the curtain rod hangers, possibly result of wetness in that area, I would also check that out.

The hinges may need some adjustment, other people have done things like that. The gasket should not be so tight that scuffing results.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:10 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don't see any pictures of the bottom. That is the area where Scamp doors tend to develop fit issues over time.

Given the age of your Scamp, though, I think a new door gasket may be all you need. Be prepared for a very tight fit for a while until it gets broken in. Press firmly to compress the gasket before you release the door lever, or the tongue may hang up partway, allowing the door to pop open under tow.

Once you install the new gasket, do check carefully for any gaps around the bottom, especially on the leading edge. That is a well-documented problem area. Infiltration of road spray under tow is common. Mine has some discoloration on the rat fur on the door in that area (more dirt and dust than water, since I almost never tow in wet weather). I redid the cheap factory foam gasket right after I bought it with a double-D gasket from the hardware store. I had to put a double thickness in a couple of places, including that bottom front corner. Eventually I will upgrade to the new Scamp gasket.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #9

Georgia
I went out tonight with my wife and a flashlight . The bottom of the door was really leaking light all the way across the bottom. Surprisingly the front side was not and I would have bet it would.Some light at the top also. I will go to the Scamp store and order a new gasket. I don't think it will solve all my problem though. The curve of the door seems to be the problem at both the top and bottom.Click image for larger version

Name:	sc4.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	105042
Old 04-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Scamp doors were designed to have a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of soft foam attached to the floor edge which seals to the closed door bottom. That size foam is pretty hard to find in a hwd. store but was available from Scamp and use to be supplied with a new door seal. The latest Scamp door seal is thicker than the older door seal and does a real good job. I have seen people attach some of the new seal across the bottom of the door opening in place of the soft foam but with the front metal strapping there may be an issue with thickness at this point. The bottom seal is subject to abuse and you need to inspect and replace it as needed.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #13

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Scamp doors were designed to have a 3/4" x 3/4" piece of soft foam attached to the floor edge which seals to the closed door bottom. That size foam is pretty hard to find in a hwd. store but was available from Scamp and use to be supplied with a new door seal. The latest Scamp door seal is thicker than the older door seal and does a real good job. I have seen people attach some of the new seal across the bottom of the door opening in place of the soft foam but with the front metal strapping there may be an issue with thickness at this point. The bottom seal is subject to abuse and you need to inspect and replace it as needed.
Eddie
Calling them today (Scamp) and ordering the door gasket. Thanks
Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #14

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I don't see any pictures of the bottom. That is the area where Scamp doors tend to develop fit issues over time.

Given the age of your Scamp, though, I think a new door gasket may be all you need. Be prepared for a very tight fit for a while until it gets broken in. Press firmly to compress the gasket before you release the door lever, or the tongue may hang up partway, allowing the door to pop open under tow.

Once you install the new gasket, do check carefully for any gaps around the bottom, especially on the leading edge. That is a well-documented problem area. Infiltration of road spray under tow is common. Mine has some discoloration on the rat fur on the door in that area (more dirt and dust than water, since I almost never tow in wet weather). I redid the cheap factory foam gasket right after I bought it with a double-D gasket from the hardware store. I had to put a double thickness in a couple of places, including that bottom front corner. Eventually I will upgrade to the new Scamp gasket.
Getting the new gasket. Thanks
Old 04-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #15

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
The hinge side of the door may get very tight, as is your case, but the leaks will probably happen somewhere else. I also see some rust color around the curtain rod hangers, possibly result of wetness in that area, I would also check that out.

The hinges may need some adjustment, other people have done things like that. The gasket should not be so tight that scuffing results.
Paul Thanks for all the good info. Checking under stairs now for possible leaks.

Tags
scamp