Now towing a 19' Escape! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Caty's Escape

You are really going to like the 19ft. Ours pulls so easy loaded with all the options and with our stuff it weighs 3400#. Hope to see you at one of our PNW NOG's.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #22

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Chuck, do you mean 3400 with or without the tongue weight? I think we might be at that before adding the tongue weight. But only a scale will tell. We are estimating by having weighed our various items including the hitch.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Cathy. Would you mind posting a shot of what the bed looks like from the dinette? I'd like a feel for how much space is in the walkway part of the galley (kitchen). (Conversely, a shot of the dinette from the bed would also work.)

Thanks. I'm VERY interested in this trailer!!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #24

Mary, we don't have the trailer handy as it is in another town. Was over there a few days ago and took those photos.
There are some Escape owners in TX including of 19s and I know someone would be glad to show you theirs.
I will tell you that the exterior dimensions are 15'8'' x 7'. The bed is a queen and the dinette is good-sized so it is not as if there is much room in between. The small bath, closet and refrigerator are on one side with the door, sink and stove on the other. Walk two or three steps and you have walked down the center.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
That "roomy, open, spacious, airy feel" vs space utilization efficiency - they are not normally compatible! Escape strikes a better balance than most manufacturers, but if you want more open space, you're "gonna need a bigger boat" - er trailer!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #26

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Great Find! Use it in the best of health!!

Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #27

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mary F...Sorry I have no pic's to help but I can tell you that those 4-6"s of extra width down the center of the trailer look like a lot more room... thru the galley area. You don't feel the need for "Close Dancing" to get by!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #28

The main factor to me was that, as far as I know, this is the biggest moulded fiberglass trailer being manufactured that can be towed with a mid-sized SUV such as a Honda Pilot or Toyota 4Runner. A trailer with more space invariably has more weight and would need a bigger tow vehicle that uses much more gas. I also personally wanted an enclosed vehicle. So the Escape seemed like a good arrangement. If we want something bigger, which I hope we will not, we will have to get another TV.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #29

Chuck, I am jumping over to towing on tongue weight.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #30

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Cathy, the inside looks beautiful. I am so glad you found one in such good shape!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #31
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Mary, we don't have the trailer handy as it is in another town. Was over there a few days ago and took those photos.
There are some Escape owners in TX including of 19s and I know someone would be glad to show you theirs.
I will tell you that the exterior dimensions are 15'8'' x 7'. The bed is a queen and the dinette is good-sized so it is not as if there is much room in between. The small bath, closet and refrigerator are on one side with the door, sink and stove on the other. Walk two or three steps and you have walked down the center.
Thanks, Cathy - I've studied the layout (on Escape's site) and seen their 5.0 in person. While I thought it was beautiful, I think I'm not going to be a fan of the side bath... I realize all trailers (and boats!) are a set of compromises; we're just trying to figure out if we'd be happier sticking with our old Casita Liberty Deluxe.

Having said that, congratulations on your Escape. I know you're going to love it!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yes Mary, it's a trade-off, the sidebath allows a big ole front window.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #33

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
Congratulations! Happy for you - Happy Trailering! We are still looking. First we considered a Casita. The more we look at it, the smaller it seems to be. We are checking out the 19' Escape. Spoke to a Veteran Rv'er today and he tells us don't get anything but a fifth wheel, much safer on the road. So now we're back to ground zero and confused. LOL. Interesting to read your back up issue...we've never backed one up either so I'm sure we'll be posting a similar story one of these days!
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert and Laura View Post
We are still looking. First we considered a Casita. The more we look at it, the smaller it seems to be. We are checking out the 19' Escape. Spoke to a Veteran Rv'er today and he tells us don't get anything but a fifth wheel, much safer on the road. So now we're back to ground zero and confused. LOL.
Well the good news is that Escape also makes IMHO a very nice fifth wheel....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #35

Robert and Laura, my feeling is that being safe on the road depends a great deal on you, the driver. The following might be considered:
1. driving a reasonable distance and low number of hours
2. staying off of Interstates and similar
3. not driving at night
4. avoiding storms
5. being within the weight capacities for the vehicle and trailer and having proper weight distribution
6. not driving during rush hour
7. not driving tired
8. possibly using a weight distributing hitch and being properly hitched
9. not speeding or tailgating
10. and probably a few more such things

There are advantages to fifth wheels and advantages to bumper-tow trailers. You might as well get what you like best.

The Escape is new to us so I can only say that I know it by reputation. Looked into lots of FB and other trailers and also Class Bs for a couple of years before deciding on this one.
It certainly is very very nice so far.
Happy Shopping!
Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #36

California
Escape 19

How is it going with your new trailer? Any better with backing it up? Also wondering about the setting you were refer'g to on your brake controller.

We're still shopping although I think we've pretty much decided on an Escape - just not sure if we want a 5.0 or a 19' trailer. We have a Sierra 1500 truck. Would have Escape put in the hitch. It's been a great help to us reading all the postings. We visited a 19' Escape in San Diego, we like it a lot better than a Casita 17.

Just wondering - with the 5.0 - there is a narrower walkway. And if we get a trailer, we'd have the entire bed of the truck for storage. Tough decision! We like the idea of the 5.0 - with some of the length above the truck of course, instead of behind us. Any opinions would be appreciated...with the cost being almost double the Casita, it's a big decision for us. We have no doubt Escape is a quality product and worth every penny!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Also wondering about the setting you were refer'g to on your brake controller.
I suspect she was referring to adjusting the brake controller in her tow vehicle which needs to be adjusted/set up to work correctly with the trailers brakes - every trailer is different as to what the best setting will be. She indicated she is using a Tekonsha P3 which is a popular controller and the Tekonsha has a good video that explains the process of setting the controller up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #38

California
Escape

Thanks, Carol - We'll watch the video. It's a big learning curve but we're up to the task! Can't wait to get on the road - feels like we're waiting forever. If we do order the Escape, pick up will be late Spring 2013/early summer.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #39
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Way-da-go girl. Luv those dual axle eggs!
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #40

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Just wondering - with the 5.0 - there is a narrower walkway. And if we get a trailer, we'd have the entire bed of the truck for storage. Tough decision! We like the idea of the 5.0 - with some of the length above the truck of course, instead of behind us. Any opinions would be appreciated...with the cost being almost double the Casita, it's a big decision for us. We have no doubt Escape is a quality product and worth every penny!
Hi Laura, On our Escape 5.0, the most narrow walkway point is between the sink and the fridge cabinet. It appears to be at least three feet; I can measure it exactly if you want.

As to storage, we are still on our four-month Alaska trip and we are carrying everything we we need. Our extended cab F150 has a good bit of storage behind the seat and we have a truck tool box in the bed. We have never wanted for more storage space, and everything is secured.

Our overall length is 35 feet, as verified by the Alaska Marine Highway. That is about 5 feet less than if we had an Escape 19.

The cost difference is not quite as great as you might think. I believe the Escape is more like 150 percent of a Casita 17. Of course, only you can say if it is worth the difference.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape