Anyone towing with a 2013 Ford Escape? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #81

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Congrats Jen, Mine was built last Monday on the 25th and is in quality control and they say I should take delivery in hopefully 5 weeks depending on shipping from the factory in Louisville KY to me here in Canada. I can't wait to start driving it.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 AM   #82

Registry
Hi Leonard. Loved your comment about hybrid, but could use it to top up the trailer battery instead of the tug. Our trailers are not on warranty anymore so would be a neat idea for someone to experiment with if they are going to change their axle anyway. Just a thought now you got me thinking as I will probally be changing my axel in the next year or so.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 AM   #83

Registry
What color Escape did you buy Jen? Mine is Ingot Silver.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #84

Name: Jen
Trailer: 2008 13ft Scamp 2nd owner
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
What color Escape did you buy Jen? Mine is Ingot Silver.
When you look at it from one direction it looks black, from another brown with gold metallic... On the window sticker it states Kodiak Brown.
jalanjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #85

Registry
Very nice. Did you factory order it or was it on the Dealers lot?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #86

Name: Jen
Trailer: 2008 13ft Scamp 2nd owner
Wisconsin
Registry
We did not factory order... but that was in high consideration.

I have extremely high expectations of which options, colors, etc. were on any vehicle we purchase.

Main reason... we keep vehicles a long time. Second, I'm picky.

I chose Exterior color over all Leather seats. My husband did not care about the seats.

We both preferred the Charcoal interior color over the Stone.

He stated 2 exterior color choices he would want. Ruby Red Metallic was his first choice(I could live with it if needed). Kodiak Brown Metallic was second and my first choice.
jalanjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #87

Registry
Kodiak Brown was the only color my dealer did not have in stock but I wanted the Ingot Silver or Black. I have always liked Silver so thats what I ended up ordering.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #88

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Any updates on how this tows? We were looking at f150s, but then got to thinking about Escapes and how the better mpg/lower price would be nice.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #89

Registry
Have not gotten it yet, hopefully will arive in the next 2 weeks and then have to break in the unit before towing. Too much snow here yet, so towing is aways away yet.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #90

Name: Alix
Trailer: Trillium "Ms. Trilli"
British Columbia
I own a 2012 Ford Escape 4 cyl. 6 speed tranny. I tow a 13 foot Trillium. No problem. Keep your weight in the back of the Escape and not in your trailer.
alixibroxham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #91

Registry
Got enough power in the mountains with your 4 cyl Escape? Thats the 2.5 right? I guess the 6 speed would be better then an automatic in the mountains eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alixibroxham View Post
I own a 2012 Ford Escape 4 cyl. 6 speed tranny. I tow a 13 foot Trillium. No problem. Keep your weight in the back of the Escape and not in your trailer.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #92

Name: daniel
Trailer: 13 Ford Escape SE 2.0 tow package 3500 lb.travel lite i17
Michigan
I tow a 3500# Travel Lite I17 with a 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost AWD with tow package. It comes with a 2in reciever and a 4-pin conector. I added a 7-pin conector for a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 breke controller and a Andersen "no sway" WD hitch. This combination is incredible!
ONEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #93

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEFORD View Post
I tow a 3500# Travel Lite I17 with a 2013 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost AWD with tow package. It comes with a 2in reciever and a 4-pin conector. I added a 7-pin conector for a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 breke controller and a Andersen "no sway" WD hitch. This combination is incredible!
Finally, the last post sorta answered my question!

We would like to get something like a 16' Scamp, but as a long-time tower, I have a firm belief in trailer brakes! I have them on my boat trailer, as well as the '83 Sunline T-1550 tin can we currently tow. I think tug capacity is closely related to trailer brakes.

We looked briefly at the Escape with the 3500# tow capacity, but stopped looking at it when I found out it only had a 4 pin connector. Right now we're looking at the Chevy Traverse. Its tow package will do 5200#s, which I really like (mostly for mountain towing power), but the tow package comes standard with a 7 pin connector. The car comes standard with a rear view camera (even without the tow package).

So ONEFORD, how difficult was it to wire the 7 pin into the Escape? Is it a DIY project or did you have a trailer place or garage do it? I already have an e-brake controller, that is not a problem. Did you try towing before going the sway control route? That is another question I have about the 16' Scamp. Are they prone to swaying at highway speeds? On my Sunline T-1550, I had some minimal sway I cured with an inexpensive Harbor Freight sway control. I avoided welding by buying a special bracket for my ball mount.

frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #94

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Lack of a 7-pin connector needn't govern tug choice- it's something that can be added for less than a hundred dollars by anyone with a rudimentary understanding of vehicle wiring...or even someone like me that knows how to read directions!

Complete description at 7-pin connector

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #95

Michigan
Frank, I also believe brakes are a must for ultimate safety. Etrailer.com has the wire kit #(ETBC7) $68 and only takes a couple simple hours. They have wire diagram and video for the install on their site.

As for the tug compare it looks like the chevy has 281-288 hp and 266-270 tq and weighs 4,700 lbs. The Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost tow package has 240 hp and 270 tq and weighs only 3500-3700 lbs. The Ford looks like the winner if you are only going to tow 3500lbs and also the ford will get better MPG'S towing and un-towing. Ford also has a built in anti sway controll in the traction controll as a last resort if thing get out of hand., I like to still use hitch sway controll to eliminate it before it starts. I have towed in a 40 mph cross wind a couple weeks ago and didnt have a problem even at 70mph. your friction anti sway should work fine. I just prefer to use andersen style due to it weighs less 50lbs and lets me back up with out unconecting it.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #96

New York
Boy Francesca, that sure is a lot easier to say than do!

I have done my share of 12v (and 110v) wiring, so in general, I jump into things. For instance, I completely wired the hot rod I built years ago, and most recently wired a rear view camera into my pickup without drilling any holes. Over the years I have wired I don't even know how many boat and utility trailers, and re-did all the wiring in my first travel trailer.

Ever try wiring a 7 pin connector and e-brake controller into a Subaru Outback? Good luck. About the only way you can do it is run all the wiring outside the vehicle, that is, once you find the brake wire. Getting wires from outside into the cab (and vice versa) is not fun either. After a bunch of research, I didn't even bother.

Maybe I'm way off base here. Have you installed a 7 pin and e-brake controller in the new Escape? If so, what I'm wondering is how difficult it would be to do. Some vehicles (like my wife's Subaru) just aren't worth the trouble! If it's easy to do, maybe an Escape is the ticket!

Frank
Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #97

New York
Quote:
Frank, I also believe brakes are a must for ultimate safety. Etrailer.com has the wire kit #(ETBC7) $68 and only takes a couple simple hours. They have wire diagram and video for the install on their site.

As for the tug compare it looks like the chevy has 281-288 hp and 266-270 tq and weighs 4,700 lbs. The Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost tow package has 240 hp and 270 tq and weighs only 3500-3700 lbs. The Ford looks like the winner if you are only going to tow 3500lbs and also the ford will get better MPG'S towing and un-towing. Ford also has a built in anti sway controll in the traction controll as a last resort if thing get out of hand., I like to still use hitch sway controll to eliminate it before it starts. I have towed in a 40 mph cross wind a couple weeks ago and didnt have a problem even at 70mph. your friction anti sway should work fine. I just prefer to use andersen style due to it weighs less 50lbs and lets me back up with out unconecting it.
So ONEFORD, you wired your 7 pin and e-brake controller in yourself? Etrailer has a video specific to the Escape? I need to do some research. I assume the 3500# capacity would be more than adequate for a 16' Scamp?

Thanks!

Frank
Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #98

Michigan
The 2013 Escape has a un-used 2in x 2in removeable plastic cover in the fire wall right where you want it for the install. Someone at Ford must have been thinking about this.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #99

New York
Quote:
The 2013 Escape has a un-used 2in x 2in removeable plastic cover in the fire wall right where you want it for the install. Someone at Ford must have been thinking about this.
I better go look at one of these Escapes! Thanks!

Frank
Old 05-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #100

Michigan
Yes, I installed myself. Yes, the escape has a better power to weight ratio. I dont think they have a specific video on their site yet but you will have no problem wiring it. if I had a second time to do it, would take less than a hour to do.

Tags
escape