New Scamp owners in Asheville NC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
New Scamp owners in Asheville NC

Hi everyone!

My wife and I recently got our first Scamp

96 16' side dinette with bathroom.(pics to follow soon)

We are ecstatic and can't wait to try it out in a few weeks.

Baj
Baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:   41gL2h9DCVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  17.7 KB
Lots of good reading here.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome, Asheville is a beautiful place.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
You could celebrate your fine acquisition at Moe's Original BBQ. We remember Asheville with great fondness.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome to our family. looking forward to your photos.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Baj!

We visited Asheville last summer--loved it! We were staying at Four Paws Kingdom in Rutherfordton. WONDERFUL camp for adults and their pets!!!! I think there is a fiberglass rally there every year (Aug. or Sept.)

Welcome!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Baj

North Carolina
Thanks for the kind welcoming words!
I haven't tried Moe's BBQ yet, but will have to. I'm very partial to 12 Bones BBQ here, VERY GOOD! Obama has hit it up both times he has visited haha
theresa p you have New Brunswick listed, NB Canada?
Thanks for recommending Four Paws Kingdom Vickie B. we have two dogs that would love it I'm sure.
Here are some pics of our new rig:

Old 05-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #8

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Hi, guys!!!

We're just down the Mt. from you in NW SC.

Have you ever been to the Nantahala area? It's beautiful. Forest Service campgrounds abound, but most do not have onsite water and electric.

Lake Powhatan is really almost in town, but from what we've seen you have to make your rez MONTHS in advance. Mills River and Davidson are nice if you don't mind the lack of on campsite electric & water. We've been used to tent and pop-up camping so it's notta big deal.

Anyway....see ya on the road...and welcome to the group.

J of J & C

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 AM   #9
Baj

North Carolina
Hi neighbors

No we have not camped in the Nantahala area but definitely want to. Do you have any favorite spots in that area? Hookups are nice, but we are fine without aswell. We are planning on trying Mile High campground at the end of the month for our first outing and it does not have hookups either.

Yes hope to see yas on the road!
Baj
Old 05-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Baj... Welcome... Nice trailer...nice view in pic.#2. What campground is that in?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Been thru Asheville a number of times. Nice place. Used to have the Honda Hoot there - it was nice. The little Vanderbilt place there is nice too! When it gets too hot, just go up to Mount Piscah campground. Very nice. 1/2 price ($7 or so) with National Park card.
Actually my brother is still living in Asheville and hope to get back there before long.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Baj

North Carolina
Thanks Alf S. All pics were taken in our yard, maybe I need to make a few sites since we do have a great view
Chris Z Mt Pisgah is awesome, maybe I'll seeya around Asheville or up on Pisgah...
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I think N.Carolina is the perfect state. You have mountains on one side, the ocean on the other side and Nascar in the middle, what more could you want?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #14

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
OK...so here's our list of Nantahala campgrounds all are National Forest service and have no on-campsite water or electric. All have community water spouts and most have nice single unit (as in all to yourself) hot showers. We've only stayed at 2, but have previewed all of these campgrounds cuz that's what we do on "go home day".

Where we've stayed:
Van Hook Glade....small but very pretty...watch out for the 2 or 3 that are right at the entrace as they get the road noise and Hwy 64 can be pretty busy even at night during season. Sites #13 & 14 are very nice.

Jack Rabbit Mt....very nice....many site right on the lake, nice views from right across the road from the lake. Don't reserve #56 it is REALLY small and even though it is lake side has absolutely no view because of the bush/tree over growth. "B" loop (#'s 80-100) has a number of sites that you park above and camp below...if you don't mind the walk up and down it's OK...but, we mind.

Where we want to stay:
Standing Indian....there are a few sites right on the river in the first loop...they go fast...it has 3 loops with the middle one being open and newly re-built bath/shower houses.

Hanging Dog...small park, small lake, several very nice sights, community water, bathrooms but no shower. Howsumever, with your camp pass you can get into Jack Rabbit which is not that far away and has a very nice shower houses.

If you're into biking and boating Tsali on Lake Fontana, also in the Nantahala National Forest, is very nice, again with community water and shower house.

Now....Below Mt. Mitchell are 2 campgrounds that are very nice and have some riverfront sites. They are also Forest Service so they have community water and shower houses. We've not stayed yet, but they're on our list.

In the Pisgah National Forest, Carolina Hemlocks (outside of Burnsville) and Black Mt. Campground on the other end of the road and closer to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Coming off the Parkway you turn left for one and right for the other, but I forget which is which.

That should be a pretty good list to start with and get your taste buds started on exploring the region.

Happy Trailering.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We enjoyed the campground at Mt. Pisgah on the Blueridge. No services, but flush toilets. No showers, either, and cold water, as I recall. However, the view from the restaurant at the inn across the road.... amazing, and priceless. Go for breakfast (reasonable) or lunch... at dinner time, the sun blocks the view from the floor to ceiling windows.
Oh, you've probably been there already, as you're from Asheville. But there are so many great places in Asheville... We spend a lot of time in NC, avoiding the Florida heat, and enjoying everything vibrant Asheville has to offer.
Congrats on your new camper!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
Baj

North Carolina
Thanks so much 2yax2go!!! We will more than likely find our way to all those places...
And thanks for all the kind words from you all!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #17

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I think N.Carolina is the perfect state. You have mountains on one side, the ocean on the other side and Nascar in the middle, what more could you want?
---------------------------------------------------

A decent football team? ...just kidding!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
We enjoyed the campground at Mt. Pisgah on the Blueridge. No services, but flush toilets. No showers, either, and cold water, as I recall. Sherry
Campground does have hot showers now in one of the loops. I've used them.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
Campground does have hot showers now in one of the loops. I've used them.
That's good news, Chris... No showers when we were there!!
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #20
Baj

North Carolina
We love it up on Pisgah, so pretty!

Well tugged it for the first time yesterday. We live at the top of a steep twisty turny gravel rd a mile long all up hill! The amazingly great people we bought it from delivered it up here, so I thought I would get a test run in myself before we go camping for the first time at the end of the month. My ol ford explorer(2000) handled it well down and back up. Got to try my brake controller for the first time and it seemed to work well too. So far the brakes on the scamp seem to be working ok...when I dialed the brake controller all the way up wheels would drag and when adjusted less they didn't so I am assuming all is working as it should..? I was hoping they would be ok since the last owners never used a controller or the brakes...but they seem ok so far...fingers crossed.
It was a real tease just tugging it around yesterday since I wanted to just keep on truckin' and go camp in it haha. We(my wife, and our infant daughter(8months old yesterday) can't wait to head out for our first trip! We are hoping our daughter will like it, since she is the main reason we stretched our budget big time and got the scamp...

Tags
scamp