New OSB floor on scamp question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

Name: CIndy
Trailer: 82' Scamp 13
North Carolina
New OSB floor on scamp question

Question for someone who's replaced the OSB flooring on their scamp or other similar camper. We are replacing the flooring under the back dinette and wheel wells. Got it out and what we have left is the upper and lower original fiberglass tape. So the sandwich if you will. Made a template, cut and resined the new board. So now the interesting part, getting the new board back in. Is there a "trick" to getting it back in? Our hope was to just "slip" it back in the groove. I'm thinking that's not going to happen now. Should we just cut the top old fiberglass off, lay it in and re-fiberglass? We knew we where going to have to reattach the new floor with new fg tape top and bottom anyway.

Thanks.

This is a photo of the "sandwich" that's left.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1421708899.345126.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	79821

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Cmtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Cut the top tabbing off, use a multi-tool with a half moon blade to cut it flush to the wall. Clean the wall with a twisted wire brush where you intend to attach the upper tabbing. I usually trim the bottom tab (To about 1") to clean up the rough edges. I reuse the bottom tabbing and reattach with resin. If not tight to the flooring I use 1/2" self tapping screws to pull it tight after resin has been applied.
After the bottom has set you can fill the gap between the wall and floor with thickened resin or just attach the upper tabbing like Scamp did it. When putting the floor in put adhesive sealant on the floor metal upper lip. You can attach the floor to the frame with counter sunk self tapping wood to metal screws. Even though using self tapping screws drill pilot holes. I don't use OSB, I use 5/8" plywood (4 green bars). Clean and paint your frame while you have it opened up
Eddie
Since the rear floor issues are caused by a bad rear window seal. I remove the back window prior to the repair process and reinstall it after all work is complete.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Name: CIndy
Trailer: 82' Scamp 13
North Carolina
Eddie,
Thanks so much! That helped a bunch. We got the floor in following your directions. We still need to screw down and fiberglass, but the weather here is nasty. Waiting for some warmth. Beginners mistake was making the template before we cut the tab off. Theres a little more space between the wood and sides of camper then I would have preferred.
Our main problems in there was that there had been a tire blowout and it was never fixed. So that whole side was rotted out. We also had a rot hole in the center of the camper, where you first step in. So i'm thinking a leak at the escape hatch? It's fixed now!

Next is remaking the wheel well. That will be fun.
Cmtravels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp