Scamp 13 Atwood Tongue Jack or Different Brand? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Scamp 13 Atwood Tongue Jack or Different Brand?

Dear Fellow FGRVers,
Due to some concerns with my Atwood tongue jack, I may be wanting to change it out in the spring. In short, I posted around October of last year stating that I heard funny noises at same place in jack rotation when putting trailer up for storage. I don't want to reiterate all of that post again here, but in short, if I wanted to change out the tongue jack, was seeking others opinions on whether to stay with the Atwood brand or if there were experiences with other brands that seemed more beneficial or improved. For example, I see there's a brand out there called "Bulldog."
I've only owned my trailer for one year, so I honestly "can't see" in my minds eye as trailer is in storage...is our Atwood tongue jack bolted or welded on our Scamps? Just wondered what everyone thought...I think I just have the standard, A-frame 2,000 lb. side-winding Atwood jack. Thank you for all thoughts, all opinions. They are all appreciated and respected.

Sincerely,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Do you have a Harbor Freight in your town. They sell tongue jacks that are rated for 2000#. Most any RV parts store in your area carries tongue jacks.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Mine was bent when I acquired my Scamp. I changed it out for a top wind from Walmart. It's a bolt-on so it was a simple swap. I'm not even sure what brand it is, but it works just fine. I like it better than the side wind because I can spin it up or down with one finger.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:57 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Wendy, if you change out your jack, I would advise you get one that mounts like the Scamp jack. One that is centered in the nose of the frame, as opposed to a side mounted folding jack. They are less apt to collapse on you, or not put twisting forces on your frame. Good luck!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #5

New York
Registry
Hi Jon,

So our scamp tongue jacks are all bolt on from factory, right? If so, that will be a push if the easy button for silly old me.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Can't speak for "all" but mine was & appeared to be original, so I think it very likely yours is too. So, piece of cake!
Old 01-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Hi Jon,

So our scamp tongue jacks are all bolt on from factory, right? If so, that will be a push if the easy button for silly old me.

Mine has the bracket the tongue jack is attached to welded to the tongue of the trailer and the jack itself is simple held in place by a retaining ring. Have no idea as to its brand or if its original to the Scamp but I suspect it may well be as everything else on the trailer when I purchase it was original.

There is a video here that uses the same method as mine for mounting a new jack.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Wendy, I took a picture of my jack before I put it in storage. Mine is a 2014 model, but I doubt it's different than yours. You can see how it's bolted to the frame. The picture was taken to show my wife's favorite mod. (up and down arrows) Tom
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0005.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Yup, that's what was on mine, too.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #10

New York
Registry
Ok. Thank you to everyone. Good to know info. I've got a 2012 so assuming she's a bolt on. Funny I didn't pay enough attention to that detail cuz I seem to find every other little thing that's wrong with my trailer .

I guess I'll get the Atwood ordered unless somebody objects and says there's a better brand. Mine is a sidewinder but a fellow FGRV member posted here saying the top wind was better for him. I'll have to go back and read reason why he feels so. I appreciate the help friends.

Is winter over yet? Ugh.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Wendy,

The cover on top pops off easily and you can see all the important gears, etc. Seems unlikely such a late model jack could be worn out. But a tooth or two may be missing due to factory screw up. Anyway it's all easy to examine.

Good luck, John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:47 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tongue jacks have different projection dimensions, meaning the distance the non moveable outer tube extends below the trailer tongue mount. If too much projection the jack may not retract enough and hit the ground when driving over uneven surfaces. Try to find a replacement that matches the original.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:53 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
I looked it up on Walmart.com. What I got was a Reese Towpower A-frame Jack, rated 2000#, $26. I've had it two years & no issues.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:15 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Tongue jacks have different projection dimensions, meaning the distance the non moveable outer tube extends below the trailer tongue mount. If too much projection the jack may not retract enough and hit the ground when driving over uneven surfaces. Try to find a replacement that matches the original.
Wendy, before you buy anything you need to measure what your jack is. Measure twice, cut once What Bob has posted can save you a lot of stress.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp