Casita vs Scamp 16' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
The newest Scamp are even taller inside as they had to make new molds after a factory fire and they raised the ceiling too at that time.
Ed, the only size that got taller was the 13'. Scamp actually made it the same height as the 16'.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ed, the only size that got taller was the 13'. Scamp actually made it the same height as the 16'.
Oh Man!
This close to the end of the year and at last I am wrong?

Well like I said the 16' Scamp is taller inside than the 16' Casita of any vintages then and it is not a subtle difference in my own heads experience.

Hows that?

Thanks Donna

Just wanted to see if you were paying attention.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe

You're welcome Ed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #24

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
Looking to buy my first trailer. As a newbie, any sage advice about what's different between them? Advantage/disadvantage of each brand? I'm specifically looking for the side dinette and front wet bath in each.
Check into the Scamp needing a pump to pump the grey water to the holding tank. There was an extensive column on the problems because of the placement of the Scamp grey water tank. Casita does not have that problem as the holding tanks are above the axle and in front of it. I don't know what model or length it was. Just a heads up. I personally prefer the Casita since many items are included and Scamp makes them options. It seems like the Casita is a better quality product. We have a 17' Casita.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #25

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink what camper/?

I think it wd be reasonable to look at options. We we did.
The made in USA Casita Independence Dlx 17 footer was our choice..
It has two big (31"X83") twin beds in back, but with room to get up and go P w/o crawling over a partner.
The bed in back of our trailer really makes up into a king bed also... if you put the "middle" back in. We added 3" memory foam to the twins and drop that middle in if needed..sleeps 3 adults IF needed.
We opted for the 25 gallon FWT and HD battery + solar panels option, added 3 extra 120V outlets and 3 12V ones plus a couple of USB ports. WE also got the outside shower

FWIW the twin beds in the Casita are bigger than the twin bed model of the vaunted Oliver23 just sayin. Theirs are 30"X75"
3B7F0DFC C196 4D5C B9C3 D6FE282671BC our rig on Casita gallery, posted 5/5/18
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:12 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
The made in USA Casita Independence Dlx 17 footer was our choice..

You mean the one with the fridge made in Sweden, the tires made in China, electronics made in China, plumbing made in China..?
Old 11-21-2018, 03:31 AM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I am 6' tall, and didn't find the ceiling height of the casita 16 that big of a deal, the trailer is so small, I'm usually sitting in it anyways.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #28

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Thank you, everyone, for all these good reflections. I do think buying used I'll focus on the condition of the trailer. Glad there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the two brands.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #29

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
The patch Don described is similar to one in our scamp except located in rear left corner. When we purchased this 02 16ft scamp 5 yrs ago I noticed a small soft spot under rear seat area. I removed all the damp and soft material, applied a wood hardener and filled about a 2 in hole with epoxy putty. Under neath trailer put on a wood patch to reinforce repair. Have not had any other problems with floor, not bad for a 16 yr old trailer. Advantage of scamp in this situation is that you have easy access for inspection underneath trailer.
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Thank you, everyone, for all these good reflections. I do think buying used I'll focus on the condition of the trailer. Glad there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between the two brands.
Lisle, I think if I were you, I would look for a used Scamp, since you live so close to the factory, and they will do work on used ones.....even upgrades if you desire.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #31

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You mean the one with the fridge made in Sweden, the tires made in China, electronics made in China, plumbing made in China..?
OK, maybe I shudda said assembled in USA. Sheesh.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #32

Name: Keith
Texas
Quote:
The difference is so minor you are correct to focus on the bigger issues like condition and options.

Find the trailer that fits your camping style best and then you can spend the next ten years finding out how wrong you were and changing every little thing about it, one item at a time!

As a Scamp owner there are things I prefer about my chosen brand, but I often meet Casitas while out camping and love to see their trailers and what they have done. The wall coverings are the biggest difference, but I imagine that fades to the background once you own one or the other. And the bath for our layout of Scamp is tiny, but you are comparing similar layouts, so not as big a deal.

Finally, if you buy one in decent condition with decent options and find you just can't get over something that can't be changed, these things sell very well. But a different one and try that.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
Find the trailer that fits your camping style best and then you can spend the next ten years finding out how wrong you were and changing every little thing about it, one item at a time!
LOL... so true!

There are three basic approaches. (1) Adapt and live with it. (2) As suggested, modify the camper to fit your needs. (3) Keep buying and selling until you get it "just right."

Perhaps there is a fourth, which combines a little of all three!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #34

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Yup. And I'm now on my fifth, liked them all, done all kinds of mods/upgrades, and still having fun.

Walt
Old 11-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #35

Name: Keith
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
LOL... so true!

There are three basic approaches. (1) Adapt and live with it. (2) As suggested, modify the camper to fit your needs. (3) Keep buying and selling until you get it "just right."

Perhaps there is a fourth, which combines a little of all three!
And I'm not complaining. I really like finding new solutions to problems that hadn't occurred before. I have some mods I like and some I wish I had done differently and some that I know could be good if I could just find a decent way to make them work.

And really, the "robustness" of the fiberglass shell on a steel frame, and the resultant robustness fo the used market, is what makes all this possible. If you have a used stickie and spend time fixing it up you still have a used stickie.

For me, I was either buying a used airstream or a used fiberglass trailer solely on the basis of still having something of value later. The risk was much lower because I knew I could bail out at any time and at least recoup my initial investment.

Hence my belief that the general advice to just buy something and go camping, is the best advice.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:24 PM   #36

Registry
Remember "Bigger is Better" Both Scamp 16' and a Casita are way too small you need at least a 40'
Old 12-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #37

Name: Shirley
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Remember "Bigger is Better" Both Scamp 16' and a Casita are way too small you need at least a 40'
HaHa, I'm amazed at how many people think that way
When I see one of those going down the road I go through my packing list for camping (tent) and think.....
Would I pack a ceiling fan ? NO !
Would I pack a fake fireplace ? NO !
Would I pack a chandelier ? NO !
Would I pack a big screen TV ? NO !
Would I pack a full size leather couch, love seat and rocker recliner, The kitchen island, full size bath tub..........NO !! Why would I want to haul all of that in a camper ???
I get a chuckle out of people sitting in their lazy boy in front of a large TV and fireplace in their 50-80K camper 40 minutes from home at a campground.
Goes to show we all have a different idea about camping
Rnupnorthbrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #38

Mid Left Coast
When I setup camp with my wife in our Escape 21, my checklist is more like...

comfortable full sized bed we can both share ? YES!
fridge/freezer that can hold a weeks worth of food? YES!
dinette seating we can both lounge in on a cold rainy night? YES!
big awning for those sunny days? YES!
adequate water/grey/black capacity for 2 for a week? YES!

Old 12-03-2018, 12:24 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

Is there a reason for pitting people who prefer one thing over another?
Does it make you feel better?
Old 12-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #40

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Is there a reason for pitting people who prefer one thing over another?
Does it make you feel better?
say huh?

its about killin the idea of chillin

Tags
casita, scamp