Burro owners---have you changed a window? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Burro owners---have you changed a window?

Got a 1982 Burro with a window air conditioner sticking out the right side window. The PO somehow kept the top half of the window........I want to take out the cooler. So.......after it's removed, do I unscrew the window frame and take out the half windows? Hopefully a glass company can make me two whole windows?? Then, when I want to put the thing back together, do I have to do anything to the frame when I reinstall it?? Any kind of sealant under the frame?

I hope this makes sense. Here are the pictures inside and out that might help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1410565556.936512.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	76289Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1410565613.396986.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	76290

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:52 PM   #2

Name: Ming
Trailer: Burro 13
California
We are currently taking out and re-sealing our Burro windows. We're using the original hardware, but are cleaning up and re-sealing the edges with new Butyl tape (we had leaky windows). Not sure about getting new windows made, but taking them out and installing them back in a breeze. There is just an interior frame that clamps the window to the fiberglass opening. The window has a lip that let's it seat inside the fiberglass opening. Use butyl tape to totally seal up the interface, and screw it down well to clamp it. Here are some pics to help you visualize.

Hope that help!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1410634068.026329.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	76298Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1410634113.602444.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	76299Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1410634192.771637.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	76300Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1410634232.648422.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	76301

We're renovating a 1980 Burro 13'. Check out our progress! http://8legsandatrailer.wordpress.com
Old 09-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

Montana
In your fourth picture, what's the white stuff under the frame???

Old 09-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: Burro
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post
In your fourth picture, what's the white stuff under the frame???

Sure looks like silicone to me. Hope they wiped it off before it dried that way.
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:11 AM   #5

California
Not silicone! It's butyl tape. When we clamped the windows down, we compressed the butyl tape so much that is squeezed out the edges. Butyl tape is a gummy solid, kind of like putty, and it doesn't harden. We cut away the excess that squeezed out using the backside of a blunt razor to get a finished, square edge. Final plan is to seal that edge with non-silicone flexible sealant, but we haven't gotten around to that yet. There's a great thread of how to use butyl tape to seal windows if you search FGRV.

As a side note, we do not recommend silicone as an exterior sealant. We originally used it on our fan and electrical port, and after towing the silicone seal started to leak badly. Silicone is hard adhere to stuff, and when it's stuck between a flexible (fiberglass) and rigid (window) surface, it can delaminate as the flexible surface vibrates and moves. We found this out the hard way, and have already replaced the exterior seals we originally used silicone on. In contrast, the windows that we replaced have 30 yr old butyl tape in them, some of which was still gummy. And one of the windows is still bomber and leak proof.

We're renovating a 1980 Burro 13'. Check out our progress! http://8legsandatrailer.wordpress.com
Old 09-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #6

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
As long as there is not any damage to the window frame, is is easy to reinstall windows. Any glass shop can make replacement windows, although by current law in many states, they will make them out of acrylic and not glass. But they come in several tint shades and colors so you should be able to match your original windows fairly closely.

As mentioned above, butyl tape is all that you need to reseal the windows. Just be sure to clean out the tracks and the weep holes thouroughly so that rain and condensation drips to the outside. Use stainless steel screws to prevent rusting, and shine up your old aluminum interior frame piece by buffing it with 00 steel wool. It will look like new, except for where it is caved in at the screw holes, like they all do.

Your butyl tape should be 1/2' or 3/4" and 1/8" thick. If there are irregularities to the frame you can use double thickness of tape in those areas. The excess will squish out. Don't trim the tape right away. Let the Burro sit in the sun for a few days then retighten the screws a little and you will see it squish out more. Then trim it the NEXT day. There is no further sealing of the window edge needed after this.

By the way, when you have the window frame out, check the bottom of the FG opening, if the inner and outer shell are separated, you may want to put a run of butyl tape between them also so that there is no possible way for water to leak in between the 2 sides.

Rick.
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

Montana
Thanks for all the info! Is butyl tape available at box stores or do you have to get it at RV places only?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

California
We were able to buy it from our local hardware store (Rona). And we live in a small town But we've also bought it off Amazon.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #9

Montana
Rick.a

Well, it's been awhile and my little Burro spent winter in my heated garGe. I've been searching around for info on changing out partial windows with slider parts for whole windows with slider parts. I may have to just take out window frame and have window company make a one piece window. That's a bummer since I like to sleep with windows open.....but without the whole slider piece present, there isn't anything to go by to size the window and make sliders.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:17 PM   #10

Montana
Rick.a:

Thought........maybe I'll pull out the other side window and take that down too and they could compare that size to make duplicate metal slider frames?? Not sure glass companies do that? Either way probably replacing butyl tape would be a good idea anyway.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you need to get a whole complete window made to fit the opening there are companies that will do that but it can be expensive. I bought a side window and a rear window from Scamp to put in our Uhaul, which is very similar to your Burro. Uhaul used a window mounted in rubber weatherstrip. Burro used a clamp ring type window as Scamp does. Scamp side window is about $150. The Uhaul side window opening was slightly too large and I had to make an adapter plate to install the Scamp window. If you are lucky your Burro window opening may be small enough to fit the Scamp window in. It's easier to make the opening bigger than to make it smaller.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #12

Montana
Mary and Bob:

$150 isn't too bad. Do you just contact Scamp and order over the phone and they ship? They're in MN aren't they? I'm in Montana so maybe a road trip with my Burro might be worth it......would be nice to see and talk to experts who could do the work. Thanks for info!

Old 03-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Here's some more info on windows you need to know before you order. I called Scamp and ordered a side crank out window for $152 and a rear slider window for $160 and shipping to NY was $60. This was in 2012.The crank out window is nice because you can have it open in the rain. I haven't been in a Burro but understand they are almost identical to the Uhaul. Because of the thin wall area around the window I had to install the clamp ring backwards because a Scamp has a thicker wall. The big issue is what your window opening size is. On my Uhaul the opening was too big and I had to make an adapter plate, other option was to do some fiberglass work to cut down the opening size. Since Burro windows are different than Uhaul you may be lucky on the size. My records show that the Scamp side window has to fit in an opening of 23 7/8" wide X 17 7/8" high. Corner radius could be slightly different. You should be able to enlarge your opening if necessary. Another thing I learned the hard way, DO NOT use the foam tape that Scamp supplies with the window, use butyl tape only !!! Picture shows my window I installed using an aluminum adapter plate. Custom made windows I found ran in the $400 plus range so this Scamp window worked for me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0178.jpg  
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #14

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
You can also go to an rv recycler and find windows from a recycled rv. There are lots of different sizes available for pretty cheap and most are sliders and/or push out style. We had a neighbor with a scrap rv and we salvaged all of the windows for free and will use them in our 76 13' Scamp.

bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro