Axle Help on a Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Axle Help on a Trillium

Talked about pissed off..........................

I've had my Trillium 4500 frame at the Trailer Shop for 3 weeks now and still no axle.. They are a Dexter dealer but keep telling me they don't know what axle to order, I've sent them the listing of the axle specs. that Tom listed on here and they say they still don't know what to order... I'm at my wit's end and was hoping someone on here still has their order form where they ordered their axle or maybe someone on here can give me a different company to deal with because I'm fed up dealing with these imbecile.. Well I should say the guy at the welding shop is tired of dealing with them... he said he has never been ran around as much as these people has done him and will not return phone calls.. He told me he talked to them last Thursday and they told him they would give him a answer before closing that day on the status of the axle...hasn't heard a word since, has call several times and no one willing to talk to him....
I hope someone can give me a lead so I can call these people and tell them where to shove it....
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
From Dexter's web site, I called these guys:
National Trailer Parts Warehouse
Division of Redneck, Inc.
2494 S. Service Road West, Swift Current, Saskatchewan S9H 4S8
Phone: 306-773-4484 Fax: 306-773-6080
www.nationaltrailerparts.com

They seemed to know what they were talking about. Maybe they can help your local guys select the correct axle.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #3

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Offhand, I'd be looking for another place to install my axle, once you find one. My own RV dealer here in Canada (Carl Cox RV of Belleville Ontario) didn't seem to think there would be any problem getting one for my Trillium 1300.

Turns out my own axle is fine, in spite of its age Which is good as it is welded on and so I would have to separate body and frame. Do you know if this is common?
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Talked about pissed off..........................

I've had my Trillium 4500 frame at the Trailer Shop for 3 weeks now and still no axle.. They are a Dexter dealer but keep telling me they don't know what axle to order, I've sent them the listing of the axle specs. that Tom listed on here and they say they still don't know what to order... I'm at my wit's end and was hoping someone on here still has their order form where they ordered their axle or maybe someone on here can give me a different company to deal with because I'm fed up dealing with these imbecile.. Well I should say the guy at the welding shop is tired of dealing with them... he said he has never been ran around as much as these people has done him and will not return phone calls.. He told me he talked to them last Thursday and they told him they would give him a answer before closing that day on the status of the axle...hasn't heard a word since, has call several times and no one willing to talk to him....
I hope someone can give me a lead so I can call these people and tell them where to shove it....
I know you are down south but a call to Team Trillium Outback in Alberta may be worth the long distance call. They know a lot about older Trillium models and may well be able to answer your questions/concerns.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
British Columbia
I have changed mine this year.

I had the frame out and 'torched' off the old one, added a 2" X 3" rectangular tubing spacer and then had the new axle welded back on.

Now I have a trailer that has a slightly increased ground clearance, and, now the arms are in the "following" position.
Trill136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #6

Name: Shane
Trailer: 1978 trillium 4500
Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1475685312.449962.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	100339
Just did mine, Axel is rated for 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Treeax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1475685834.327598.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	100340Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1475685866.741504.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	100341
And welded two new stands in.$15 dollars each

Old 10-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #8

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Where did you order it from... I found a local Dexter Dealer who says he can order me one but it's going to take 3 weeks.. I really wanted to use my camper on my run to South Dakota the 29th of this month but that's not looking good now.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeax View Post
Attachment 100339
Just did mine, Axel is rated for 2500

Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #9

Ontario
I order mine from a dexter dealer(Ontario, Canada) and it took a month to get. The dealer told me that they don't make that kind of axle on site, it gets made in the USA then shipped to them. So I had to wait a month

Call the dexter dealer and ask for a order sheet for a torflex #10 3500 axle. You just have to fill out with the frame dimensions and send it back to them. But it takes a month

Old 09-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #10

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
axle

Hi Shane. Want to change axle in my 77 4500. Did that axle work out for you and do you know what dexter dealer you called
Markv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #11

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markv View Post
Hi Shane. Want to change axle in my 77 4500. Did that axle work out for you and do you know what dexter dealer you called

Been to Florida twice! Have 12000 km on it now. It's like I'm pulling a new trailer. Very smooth, trailer not bouncing around! Bought the axle in Ontario, Canada at www. Cerka.ca.
Pricey but well worth the money!
Old 09-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #12

Name: Mark
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Ontario
Thanks for getting back to me. I am going to order same axle. Did the mounting bracket come as pair. One for each side and did you weld bracket to frame and then bolt to bracket.
Has it changed the height of trailer
Markv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #13

Ontario
Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me. I am going to order same axle. Did the mounting bracket come as pair. One for each side and did you weld bracket to frame and then bolt to bracket.

The mounting brackets are welded to the axle, there's no bolting anything. You cut off the old axle then weld on the new one. It sits 1" higher. The hardest part of the hole job was taking the shell off the trailer.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #14

Name: bob
Ontario
Shell

I just bought a 1980 Trillium Jubilee.
1 Axle is damaged.
I called Cerka they suggested cutting the axle off and brining it in to ensure we get the right 1
How difficult was it to get the shell off the trailer?
Can it be done without doing that?
What a great site?
bigEZbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Dexter also sells a SEPARATE mounting kit that contains adapter brackets that can be welded to your frame, and then the integral axle brackets are bolted to the adapter brackets. That's the route I took. See my writeup here. The details are in post #8.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...xle-79244.html
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #16

Ontario
My opinion is, if you are changing out your axle you should take off the shell. Get the trailer sand blasted then check for broken welds on frame, weld new coupler on, weld new axle on and paint trailer. Then you have a new trailer!
Taking off shell wasn't hard just slow going. Took me a day to do it by myself.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #17

Ontario
Thanks

For the quick reply!

My problem is the torsion arm is out of position because the rubber damper is aged and damaged. AM i right that replacing the axle assembly is the only way to resolve?
Old 09-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #18

Ontario
I had the same problem. The trailer arm was stuck in the up position and couldn't move it. The trailer had no suspension, going over bumps the noise it would make, I thought my trailer was coming apart. Don't think there any Quick fixes, you just have to replace axle. The axles only have 20 years life I was told. I have some pics of the old axle, I'll put them on tonight.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #19

Ontario
Thanks Treeax Do you have the specs you used when you ordered? From where did you order the axle. We literally have had the trailer 24 hours. the better half is going to town on the inside-My job is to make the darn thing safe to drive.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #20

Ontario
https://trilliumrv.wordpress.com/vin...um-repair-faq/

That where I got all my specs from. The order form is on http://www.cerka.ca/trailer-axle/dex...0-3500-lb-axle
But I don't see anything for the trillium jubilee, you might have to get under your trailer and do some measuring.

Tags
axle, trillium