What size computer UPS in my Casita SD17? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
What size computer UPS in my Casita SD17?

I ordered a small PC, and have a number of electrical peripherals, that I want to run off a UPS battery backup - in case I lose power. When I was mostly using a laptop, it had a battery, so it didn't matter if I lost power. I am using 30amp shore-power. I heard the on-board 12v battery doesn't power the appliance sockets, or something like that. I have extra sockets, but am not sure which are on 30amp and which are on 12v.

Anyway, the computer UPS's seem to be 550-watt, 750-watt, and 1500-watt. My power use equivalent is probably equal to about 4 laptops running. I just didn't want to get a giant UPS, and blow the fuses in the Casita, or have anything else bad happen.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
With a small plug-in inverter you could run off 12V and use your own AC for the computer, plus have the option of running other small AC items. Price and style depend on how many watts you need to use.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 19
New Hampshire
As a 30 year IT Guy I agree with Charlie Y. A commercial UPS is going to be an unnecessary power drain as you are converting 110v AC to 12 or 6v DC to charge the UPS battery and again converting the 12 or 6 DC volt battery power back to 110v AC to power your computer's adapter which will then convert it to 12 or 18v DC. Each of these conversions wastes power (as evidenced in the heat they produce). I bought a 12 volt DC power supply for my laptop.

Now if you are using a desktop I'd invest in a small internal UPS. These units aren't designed to "run" the computer but to allow you time to shut down the computer in an orderly manner. Some even have software to trigger running programs to save file and shutdown the computer without intervention. I used to use these in my offce which ran off from semi-reliable generator power. Never lost a file UNLESS a co-worker over rode the shutdown sequence. Here's a link to this type of unit Smart Internal Series UPS - SI-400/401/402/425
Techscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
I have extra sockets, but am not sure which are on 30amp and which are on 12v.

If your talking about the round cigarette lighter type plug in type sockets in the Casita they are 12V - never anything more.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita