Need help - do i wire the vehicle harness with battery? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Need help - do i wire the vehicle harness with battery?

I have a Scamp 16 which I am amidst rewiring. Here is my thread - http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-66705.html

So - new wiring from front to back.. I am stuck on a few things.

1. The vehicle tow harness for the trailer tail lights has a Black (power) and White (ground). I recall seeing a wiring diagram that the black is wired into the trailer battery harness with a inline fuse?

Do I wire the black to the trailer battery black and the white to the trailer battery ground?

my plan was to wire the black all the way to the fuse box and to connect it with the battery wire using a inline fuse (30amp).

2. I don think my Scamp 16 has a wire for reverse lights. There are 4 wires each side, I don't see a 5th wire on either of the lights that could be for reverse....
mkippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Mike, you may want to check in the document center here for some wiring write ups.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I asked for a label maker for Fathers Day, and now use it to label each wire as positive or negative, and what is connected to it, IE: solar panel, refrigerator, car positive charge wire, etc.
These different colors applied to tow vehicles and trailers can be very confusingl
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkippen View Post
2. I don think my Scamp 16 has a wire for reverse lights. There are 4 wires each side, I don't see a 5th wire on either of the lights that could be for reverse....
Unless I am mistaken, the round tail lights were not set up for reverse lights.
I am confused about the number of wires you mention. I've recently wired up round tail lights on my Compact Jr which only had 3 wires on each fixture:
  • White (Ground)
  • Black (Brake/Turn)
  • Green (Running Lights)

I added separate fixtures for reverse lights on my Compact Jr.
Attached Thumbnails
Lights and Logos 2.jpg  
Old 10-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Frederick is correct the old round Scamp lights never had back up lights.

Scamp by the way uses two inline fuses - one right off the battery (outside) and the other just inside the house where the wiring harness enters the trailer.

These diagrams are from the manual from my Scamp.
Attached Thumbnails
electrical.jpg   Wire Diagram Scamp.jpg  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Do I wire the black to the trailer battery black and the white to the trailer battery ground?
On the Scamp the battery hook up is + Positive to Black and - Negative to White.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
I have a Scamp 16 which I am amidst rewiring. Here is my thread - http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-66705.html

So - new wiring from front to back.. I am stuck on a few things.

1. The vehicle tow harness for the trailer tail lights has a Black (power) and White (ground). I recall seeing a wiring diagram that the black is wired into the trailer battery harness with a inline fuse?

my plan was to wire the black all the way to the fuse box and to connect it with the battery wire using a inline fuse (30amp).

A link to something you might be interested in reading.

My point of view on electrical or propane is if you have ask questions like this you probably need to get somebody that knows what they're doing to at minimum guide you. Just because it's a trailer doesn't mean that electrical fires don't happen.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I asked for a label maker for Fathers Day, and now use it to label each wire as positive or negative, and what is connected to it, IE: solar panel, refrigerator, car positive charge wire, etc.
These different colors applied to tow vehicles and trailers can be very confusingl
Dave & Paula
I have done the same and labeled all the wiring behind the fuse panel so I know what goes to what. Considering I stuck with black and white wires for positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Scamp by the way uses two inline fuses - one right off the battery (outside) and the other just inside the house where the wiring harness enters the trailer.

Thank you so much - I actually used this same wiring diagram I found on bing when searching for "Scamp wiring diagram" and I used it for some of the initial layout.

So yeah, I have a inline 30 amp fuse right off of the battery and I wired another one in line with the trailer harness when it connects up with the battery. Perfect!

I can confirm that it appears my scamp taillights do not have backup lights, so looks like the yellow trailer wire will be unused.

Quote:
On the Scamp the battery hook up is + Positive to Black and - Negative to White.
Yup, figured this out early its wired like a house rather than a car. Black for Power and white for Neutral / ground. I have done a fair amount of wiring in cars so this was a bit confusing initially. Also the fact that the previous owner had wired up red for power and black for ground in some places didn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
A link to something you might be interested in reading.

My point of view on electrical or propane is if you have ask questions like this you probably need to get somebody that knows what they're doing to at minimum guide you. Just because it's a trailer doesn't mean that electrical fires don't happen.
Main thing leading this question was the ability to drain the battery flat when your camping. I did some more investigation on this and found that the black (power) should be wired to a relay on the tow vehicle that is also connected to key on power. The goal being that you are not able to pull power from the tow vehicle unless the vehicle is on.

Thanks for sharing the concerns. I don't think it was a complete n00b question but then again... I am new to trailers and totally happy to get schooled on doing it right.
mkippen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:21 AM   #9

Name: Mark
New Mexico
Smile

Quote:

Carol H. Thanks for posting the wiring diagram. Trying to upgrade my old 7-pin connector to a 7 blade. Scamp apparently had their own ideas about how to place the wire colors in the 7-pin connector and I was struggling to figure out what went where. All better now. Appreciated.
msvmaier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, scamp