Info on Trails West Campster - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #1

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Info on Trails West Campster

I just purchased a '71 Campster. This is my first trailer and I am not sure how to go about getting it the way I want it. It is good enough to camp in but I need to check some things out.

First, it needs to be cleaned up. I can handle that. Just get in and do it.

I want to redo the cushions and and covers. I sew so that is not a problem.

Now what I don't know much about. I need to replace the canvas for the pop up section. What material do I use and where can I get it? Are there places that make these or can I do it myself?

I want to put in a 12 volt solar system. This is not something I am not familiar with but am looking at info. I have read the info on this site and am digesting that. The trick is that the trailer did not come with 12 volt wiring. There is 120 however.

I also need to check the propane lines. What is the best way to do that?

The last thing that I can think of right now is the carpeting on the walls and the floor. I can live with it right now but would like to remove it at some point. From what I have read that can be a royal pain. Any suggestions or comments on how to change the wall carpet would be appreciated.

I am looking forward to camping in my "new" trailer soon. I appreciate all comments and assistance. When I figure out how to post pics I will load a few.

Thanks for the help.
Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Teri

I don't know anything about the Campster, but there are a few members here that own them.
I notice as I'm looking at this page that the "similar thread" box at the very bottom (below reply box) is offering several choices of threads on the subject of this trailer.
You might find those helpful.

Good Luck!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Teri, we're glad you're here! There's quite a number of Campster owners here on FiberglassRV (or kissin' cousins). We've found, although the brand may be different, there's a lot of similarities too. For instance, it's the same process for checking out the propane for leaks, etc. no matter what the brand of trailer. So, when you're reading/searching don't let a different "brand" throw you off. You'll find valuable info everywhere on the forums.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #4

California
Registry
Thanks Francesca and Donna. I didn't know about the similar threads at the bottom. Good info. I have been looking at so much info of late that I can't remember where I have seen what.

I will continue to look for the info on the propane and the other things. I wish I could remember where I saw stuff on the removal of the carpet. My new idea is to get some muslin fabric and figure out how to attach it to the carpet. An idea.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Teri, because you've got a fairly flat walled trailer, you MUST check out this entire topic... SWEET! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ion-46674.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #6

California
Registry
One thing that I think I need to work on is the windows. The side windows are not sliding open, and they need some screens. Also, one of the windows on the door is also broken. That and the canvas are going to be the immediate fixes after scrubbing.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I managed to clean the window area enough to get mine sliding but really need to do more as one may be leaking.

Pop top canvas is easy to replicate but not too easy to replace. I have left mine as was as a result, waiting to find an easier way or someone to do it for me!

My insulation is what appears to be the fuzzy side of Velcro. I have left it as the sticky side of Velcro now allows me to hang things on the walls and ceiling which is kind of convenient and it doesn't look bad.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #8

California
Registry
Hi Bobbie,
Thanks for the reply. I wish I could stick stuff to the walls, that would be helpful. I have to work on the windows some more to get them to slide.

I don't think I can let the canvas on the pop-top wait as one corner is totally ripped. I was thinking that it is odd that the canvas is on the inside of the mechanism. I am going to investigate that some more. I also was thinking of the possibility of using the industrial strength sticky velcro to make attaching easier?.
Do you have any pics of the interior of your trailer?

All that will have to wait a week as I am heading up to Vancouver, BC for a week. I will be passing by Clinton next week also as my mom lives in Freeland. Flying, not driving so not using the trailer.

Do you have any pics of the interior of your trailer?
Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
One thing that I think I need to work on is the windows. The side windows are not sliding open, and they need some screens. Also, one of the windows on the door is also broken. That and the canvas are going to be the immediate fixes after scrubbing.
We soaked the tracks with silicone spray after cleaning out the obvious dirt, then we gently pried the window open an inch, one person on the inside and one on the outside... spray and push, spray and push, back and forth, in thirty minutes we had both windows working ...Whew!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Somewhere but not on this computer I have picture, but you can stop by and see it. I am only about ten minutes out of Freeland. I will PM you my phone number, hope it isn't too late as I just saw this.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #11

California
Registry
I have spent the afternoon cleaning my trailer. Finding numerous little things that will need to be fixed. Some water damage on the bed platform below the window. It's about the size of a water bottle. Also looks like some of the wood around the canvas is splitting.

Got the window on the driver's side to open, now the other side. Still lots to do.

I am planning to reconfigure the table/Bed and put a "couch" along the front so I just pull out the mattress to make the bed. Suggestions on getting a good mattress?

Heading out to clean the top of the stove.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 AM   #12

California
Registry
A question for those of you who have the Pop-top. I have seen threads about where people have had the canvas replaced where it was made by others. My question is where should I get the canvas so I can sew it myself? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tags
campster, trails west