Canvas Replacement on Pop-top - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #1

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Canvas Replacement on Pop-top

I am in the process of taking apart the pop-top canvas and mechanism on my recently purchased Campster. The wood frame holding the mechanism is rotten and will have to be replaced. Two questions, well, maybe more. 1) is there a place to get a new lift mechanism? Mine work but I am not sure they are working the way they are supposed to. 2) On the Campster the mechanism is on the exterior of the canvas and I notice that the mechanism on the Compact's are on the interior of the canvas. Would putting the mechanism on the interior actually be an advantage? I am thinking that it would reduce the exposure to the elements.

Oh, I knew I would have another question, what kind of weather stripping do people use on the outer edge of the fiberglass top. I currently have none.

This is a great place to get info and am grateful for this forum.

Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
I am in the process of taking apart the pop-top canvas and mechanism on my recently purchased Campster. The wood frame holding the mechanism is rotten and will have to be replaced. Two questions, well, maybe more. 1) is there a place to get a new lift mechanism? Mine work but I am not sure they are working the way they are supposed to. 2) On the Campster the mechanism is on the exterior of the canvas and I notice that the mechanism on the Compact's are on the interior of the canvas. Would putting the mechanism on the interior actually be an advantage? I am thinking that it would reduce the exposure to the elements.

Oh, I knew I would have another question, what kind of weather stripping do people use on the outer edge of the fiberglass top. I currently have none.

This is a great place to get info and am grateful for this forum.

Teri

My sister has a Compact Jr, which is kinda sorta similar, so I can take a stab at a coupe of your questions:

1. New lift mechanism: No idea, but you might try attending one of the various gatherings and get someone with a Campster to demonstrate it to you. Also, a little lubrication can work wonders; maybe a drop of oil here and there?

2. Mechanism inside vs. outside: I like to keep the re-engineering to a minimum, so I'd leave it in the factory location.

3. Weatherstrip: My sister's compact has a simple press-on welting, basically to protect the edge of the fiberglass. There's no attempt to form a seal against the weather. It looks something like the third picture down on this page:

UK manufacturer - plastic EDGE TRIM edge protector automotive door trims car rubber vinyl guard

When you think about it, you don't need a seal; the canvas forms the seal.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

California
Registry
Thanks for the info Steve. I will check out the edging on the top.

My lift mechanism is attached to a wooden frame around the outside edge of the opening and it is pretty rotten. I was thinking of an edge weatherstripping to protect that to some extent. The wood might be the issue with the stability of the scissor lift mechanism, not sure yet.

I am stealing time to work on the trailer with other projects that are also in the works. Summer is never long enough!
Old 08-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #4

California
Registry
Removed pop-top today

Today I got in to removing the canvas and pop-top of the trailer. Discovered that the reason it was listing was because the wood on the right (passenger) side was basically rotten. The canvas was a dirty mess and the amount of silicon that someone had used was a pain to get off.

With the top off it was pretty easy to clean the roof of the trailer. Stood on a small foot stool or the side benches. Used a bucket the hose and some Bon Ami with a scrub brush and got most of the dirt off.

Tomorrow I have to get some yard work done but will also get the material for the replacement canvas so I can sew it up on Sunday. I am going to use waterproof ripstop nylon that is used in tent floors. Some No-See-Um netting and velcro to cover them. I also am going to have to get some new wood and make a new frame for the lifting mechanism and to attach the bottom of the new "canvas".

Here are some pictures of the top.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0236.jpg   IMG_0234.jpg  

IMG_0237.jpg   IMG_0238.jpg  

Old 08-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks for sharing the pics and good luck with the replacement!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #6

California
Registry
I have a plan

So, I have taken off the canvas and taken apart the frame for the lift mechanism. I have been combing through the threads here for ideas on the putting it all back together. This is what I plan to do.

The lift mechanism was attached to 1 X 2 inch wood frame that had pretty much rotted out on the right side especially. To provide more stability for the lift I plan to use 2 X 2 instead. I am also going to paint the wood, use silicon seal and put a weatherstripping around the edge of the FG top.

I am replacing the canvas with waterproof nylon that would usually be used as tent flooring. I plan to double the cloth for strength and overall durability. I will be using NoSeeUm netting and will use velcro for a cover of the screen window. I will have the screens on all four sides. I am hoping that using the 2 X 2 will give a little more space for the material to fold into and hopefully last longer. I am also not going to put the new material between the fiberglass lip and the wood in case it needs to be replaced or repaired. Otherwise you have to take the entire lift frame off the trailer.

I have a plan and the material. I still need to get the framing for the lift mechanism and new screws (the ones I removed were rusted) and put that together. I plan to sew the top and redo the top frame this week. I will try to document what I am doing.

If anyone has any comments on this plan let me know. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
No comments on the plan but some new info. A neighbor had a vintage camper van up here the other day with the full pop top rather than the slanted one. Guess what, it is exactly like a Campster pop top. EXACTLY. Same mechanism, same yellow material. So my guess is there were more of those and a vintage VW repair place might know how to do the canvas and provide parts. In fact, I found one that had the little elastic lockdown parts and the weatherstripping and canvas.

You might find someone who can do the replacement or sell parts, and you may be able to find detailed directions by searching for VW pop top replacement.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #8

Name: M
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Michigan
When you replace the wood think about using a rot resistant wood instead of the typical lumber yard SPF.
zephyr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 AM   #9

Name: M
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Michigan
PS: This place carries the canvas and other parts you may need

VW Camper & Pop-Top Parts: VW Parts, Volkswagen Parts, VW Bug Parts, VW Bus Parts
zephyr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #10

California
Registry
I am using redwood for the framing on the top.

I am checking out the VW site, especially for the weatherstripping. The mechanism on my top has good working parts. I just have to replace the springs on the bottom.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #11

California
Registry
Update

Well, finally got to get to putting the mechanism for the pop top on to a new wooden frame. The wood around the opening was rotten and I replaced the sides with redwood 2x2 instead of the 1x2 that was there. At the front and back I am using pine 1x2 but will paint it. I have a to put in 2 more screws for the track on the bottom and put the new springs on the bottom. Then screw the frame on to the trailer.

I will post pictures hopefully tomorrow. Then on to sewing the replacement canvas. I have all the material and dimensions. Just need to spend the time doing it.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #12

California
Registry
Pics not very good

Here are a couple of pics of the mechanism on the pop-up. It is hard to tell on the second one that it is a redwood 2x2.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0245.jpg   IMG_0246.jpg  

Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #13

Registry
Looks good! I like the S ring on the spring. I need to replace one of the top springs on mine and haven't quite figured out the mechanics of doing it.

But don't you have to staple the fabric for the popup to the frame? Can you do it with everything in place? I have been reluctant to tackle this job due to concerns about being able to do it.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #14

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Looks good! I like the S ring on the spring. I need to replace one of the top springs on mine and haven't quite figured out the mechanics of doing it.

But don't you have to staple the fabric for the popup to the frame? Can you do it with everything in place? I have been reluctant to tackle this job due to concerns about being able to do it.
Bobbie,

I will staple the fabric to the frame and use some molding to keep it in place. The original was in between the frame and lip for opening. That seems hard to replace if needed in the future. I plan to attach the fabric to the bottom frame, then bring the top down and staple the fabric to the top of the pop-top frame.

For replacing the springs, I got them at Orchard Supply. With the frame up, I would prop the side of the top up with a piece of 2x4 then remove the old spring and attach the new one. Are you in CA or still up in WA?

Teri
Old 09-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #15

Registry
Washington. I did one of the lower springs that way but the upper one is hard to reach and hard to see. I think I Will order the weatherstripping first and do both things at once. I was thinking of just removing the old fabric and attaching new inside but it sounds like to remove the old you have to take up the frame. Mine seems reasonably solid.

Not sure if the trailer will come home when I do, last year I left it here and I don't want to tow in the winter, but I also don't have very good storage up here and the salt air is bad for it.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #16

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Washington. I did one of the lower springs that way but the upper one is hard to reach and hard to see. I think I Will order the weatherstripping first and do both things at once. I was thinking of just removing the old fabric and attaching new inside but it sounds like to remove the old you have to take up the frame. Mine seems reasonably solid.

Not sure if the trailer will come home when I do, last year I left it here and I don't want to tow in the winter, but I also don't have very good storage up here and the salt air is bad for it.

I have to get the weatherstripping too. Where are you ordering yours from? I have seen a few links but they are in the UK. Have to find the right kind here in US.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Teri, be sure to use non-rusting staples. Here's some SS staples, I've seen them in 1/2" and 5/8" too

http://www.amazon.com/Arrow-Fastener.../dp/B000RUN3WK
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #18

Registry
I figure one of the Vanagon/VW places has it. I just need to measure how much. It apparently has metal clips inside that attach, those rust and that is why it starts sagging.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #19

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
POP TOPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
Today I got in to removing the canvas and pop-top of the trailer. Discovered that the reason it was listing was because the wood on the right (passenger) side was basically rotten. The canvas was a dirty mess and the amount of silicon that someone had used was a pain to get off.

With the top off it was pretty easy to clean the roof of the trailer. Stood on a small foot stool or the side benches. Used a bucket the hose and some Bon Ami with a scrub brush and got most of the dirt off.

Tomorrow I have to get some yard work done but will also get the material for the replacement canvas so I can sew it up on Sunday. I am going to use waterproof ripstop nylon that is used in tent floors. Some No-See-Um netting and velcro to cover them. I also am going to have to get some new wood and make a new frame for the lifting mechanism and to attach the bottom of the new "canvas".

Here are some pictures of the top.

Teri, that's a great job.

I have had my Campster for 6 months now and have upgreaded, revised, renewed everything except for the pop top....I have a torn Rotator Cuff and can't get my arms to work over my head anymore...I am leaving this
pop top for a Spring Project when my Son visits. Here is what I am designing. 'A permanent' installation of a Lexan plastic doam (Skylite).
I will relocate the existing roof vent to the front left side.

BoonDOCer...aka Campfrugal
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #20

Registry
I like the pop top as it fits my garage in California and rides cheaply on the ferries here!

Tags
campster, pop-top canvas, trails west