Belly band won't go back on know what !? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
Belly band won't go back on know what !?

Took the belly band off my Ventura seance it was leaking and the wood behind was rotting i tryed filling the wood with wood filler but even the biggest screw won't grip
Am I doomed to fiberglassing it know ?
Cheyanna83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
This worked pretty well on a 1902 house:

PC Products Rotted Wood Repair Kit-084113 - The Home Depot

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:42 PM   #3

Manitoba
I have something simmilair I can see if I'll help but not Shute hard to see the wood

If that fails is the Ventura like other trailers and its ok to fibreglass the belly band ?
Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna83 View Post
I have something simmilair I can see if I'll help but not Shute hard to see the wood

If that fails is the Ventura like other trailers and its ok to fibreglass the belly band ?
Don't know how well glass would hold without a structural sound backing. Not familiar with your construction. Probably would help with the leak, though.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Leave it off and go for a cleaner look. My friend did that with his Ventura and his looks great without it. I wish I would have done it with my Boler when I had it all apart to paint it.

Quote:
Took the belly band off my Ventura seance it was leaking and the wood behind was rotting i tryed filling the wood with wood filler but even the biggest screw won't grip
Am I doomed to fiberglassing it know ?
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:

I don't imagine it would be any different than doing it to a Trillium like I did. It is about 10 hours work, not much different than the efforts you would have to put into reinstalling your belly band properly, plus it seals great and looks good to boot.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #7

Manitoba
There's a open gap with mine / wood but yea dosent seem like band dose much to hold together lol

I just cring at the work I'm kinda new to all this ,I'm a gal not as power tool savy as some are but I know more then most gals lol !

I went to a guy that makes cabinets ( even experts have to screw up right!? Lol) and he said to use a weatherproof glue and toothpicks in the holes so screws will bite

If that fails I'll fiberglass, if it works next summer or so I'll attempt it!
lol trying to get Pandora ( my camper) leak free and back to get her buy July 8th... Momma Mia!

Should I worry about the spider cracks behind the band and or windows when I work on them ?

Thanks everyone for the advice!!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
I have a Scamp and removed the belly band, because previous ownership (unknown quantity) allowed the fiberglass to crack. They put a band aid over the problem only to have the wood rot within the scamp. I removed it found all the cracks and where the FG began to separate (to some degree). I cleaned it with an epoxy cleaner, chipped out the bad and used Bondo with fiberglass to fill. As far as the holes were concerned, the former had rivets, but I replaced the rivets with stainless steel screws and locking nuts. I had to make the holes larger, but its tight as a drum. Before putting the belly band back on, I calked around the interior (fiberglassed also) and exterior of the camper where the belly band joins with 30 year rubber roofing calk. The Bondo I used had fiberglass in it. Lastly when I put the other side of the belly band on I will calk both the top where it meets the fiberglass and beneath. THERE WILL BE NO WATER COMING INTO THIS CAMPER !!!!!!
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #9

Manitoba
Oo neat think I'll make a trip into a big city in a few and grab some of that !
Old 06-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #10

Manitoba
Got the bondo glass ! Going to fill the corners with that ( corners are wide open to inside) going to clean my trim and retry it know with all the fixes

I assume the bondo glass I can fill hair cracks and chips righto?
Old 06-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #11

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
The Bondo glass is pretty thick to fill in your tiny hairline cracks, but is perfect for large holes. However, Bondo make another product you can use for these cracks. It usually comes in squeeze tubes like toothpaste.

I did the same job on my Trillium last year. It's the solution to leaks!
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #12

Manitoba
I'll look for that! That could be why some windows leaked the hair line cracks

That bongo glass is a big pain in the u know what to work with lol

Is this the stuff you were thinking of?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-09-2015, 06:34 AM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
That's the stuff!
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 PM   #14

Manitoba
Awsome thanks !!
Old 06-22-2015, 09:34 PM   #15

Manitoba
ok damed band still wont screw on even filling holes with toothpicks and strong glue- i wasted a whole roll of burthyl tape and hours of my life and sanity.. i give up its getting bondo glassed~!!
but before i do....
that band for a Ventura is decorative like the others campers correcto?
Old 06-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #16

Georgia
Okay don't panic, do you have any clamps? If you do use the clamps to hold the band on while you attach it. If not, get a friend, or neighbor or wife, etc. to hold the belly band on for you. NOW think outside the box, forget the former holes if they are an obstacle, you can always drill new holes next to or about an inch or two away from the originals. Lastly begin by getting one screw and locknut (or whatever your using.) into the frame, go to the middle of the band and screw another (make sure the belly band is tight) lastly go to the far end of the belly band and install another fastener (screw, etc.). Once you've done that than you can simply go about the belly band and screw the rest of the belly band securing it to the camper. Hope this helps, P.S. dont over tighten, once all the screws are in THAN go around the belly band and tighten them all.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:56 AM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I think glassing it over is a good idea.

Not the same construction, but this is what I did:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-58763.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-59580.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #18

Georgia
Glassing can be a pain, i'm doing it right now. If you don't have any idea, it can bubble even if you do it correctly. It gets in your fingers and hurts the fibers are so fine, it itches like crazy. If its not a big deal, go to your local body repair place and ask some questions and see if someone would be willing to do it for you at a reasonable price. Your going to have to buy fiberglass, Resin, and hardner, prep the area you want it to adhere to, clean it with a solvent. Than do the work. Best to you.

Tags
ventura