Lighting type and locations for a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 10:51 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Lighting type and locations for a Scamp

Can anyone tell me what types of lights are standard in a Scamp and what their locations are? Since we are starting from scratch, we have the option to do anything, but I would like something to go on...

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you go to Scamps webpage and under showroom it will show you pictures of each trailer and the lights that are in them.

Normally there is an outside light. If you have a bathroom there is also a light above the toilet, a light on each of the rear overhead bins, as well as one over each side of the kitchen area. Mine also had one on the end of the upper cabinets which I never used and one that was centred over the rear table that I took out when i installed the fantastic fan. The older trailers such as mine also had a 110 florescent light on the back wall on the drivers side of the kitchen but Scamp doesnt put those in anymore - instead they have put a double light up under the cabinets - which they did not do in the past. On my 16' there is also a light up on the front outside bathroom wall for use in the bunk area.

Scamps on-line parts store has all the lights they use..... highly recommend you go with LED lighting though as a lot of people here have changed out their stock lights to LED.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #3

Colorado
Registry
Thanks!

Do the under cabinet LED lights provide enough light inside the camper? I remember my folks had a pickup/camper and it had one overhead flourescent light to provide overall lighting, and both 110v and 12v lights in various places (like on the upper bunk) for reading, etc.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have replaced the front bunk light and rear driver's side dinette light on my Scamp with these: Amazon.com: Gold Stars GW21500 RV Reading Light MR16 Base LED Bulb 12v Satin Chrome: Automotive And we like them a lot better than the stock flat light. I have one more that I am adding to the passenger's side dinette (rear of upper cabinet) also. If I had to do it over I could have bought a three pack of them off ebay cheaper. I am changing the kitchen flat light to this: Amazon.com: Gold Stars F3528001 LED Dome Light Fixture Single 921 Wedge 150 Lumens 12v Natural White (1): Automotive but have not done so yet so can't say much about it. At some point I expect to change the 120V florescent to some 12V LED also.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lighting type and locations for a Scamp

Scamp lighting is minimalistic. In my 13' standard, it consists of an outside 12V porch light, two interior 12V lights, one on either end of the upper kitchen cabinet, and the now-discontinued 110V fluorescent above the sink, which we have never used because we never camp with hook-ups. The lights Carol mentioned on the rear storage bins (also available in the front) are optional 12V reading lights. Scamp will also put a second porch light over the front tongue area if you want.

Two places I would add 12V lights if I were starting from scratch are at the top of the closet to better light the center of the trailer, and underneath the kitchen cabinets, to light the workspace. I wouldn't bother with any 110V lights.

I would definitely go LED for the lower power draw, but beware of cheapies. I've read some discussions about low output and unpleasant color tones. I haven't made the switch, so others will have to guide you to the best ones to use.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #6

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Our '98 Scamp was VERY dim. I put dual 12" LED strips under the dinette cabinet (they can be turned on as 1,2,1 and 2), and strips under the back cabinets and a shelf I stretched across the back. All 12V incandescents have been replaced with LED's. SHINY!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohkraites View Post
Thanks!

Do the under cabinet LED lights provide enough light inside the camper? I remember my folks had a pickup/camper and it had one overhead flourescent light to provide overall lighting, and both 110v and 12v lights in various places (like on the upper bunk) for reading, etc.
I also would not bother with any 110 lights and just go with all 12v as Scamp now does as it makes more sense. I do not know which layout you have but I would also as Scamp has done put a double light on the side of the kitchen where the stove and Fridge are if you have that set up and have found that a single works fine for me under the cabinet on the sink side.

I also agree that a light up on the tall cupboard by the door would be a good idea as well.

As far as LED's go - yes plenty of light for reading assuming you do your homework and purchase ones with a high enough lumens rating. I know a few folks have been unhappy with their chosen LED's but suspect in many of those cases the lumens was not high enough - I like ones that are 300 or more. Also watch the colour - warm white or cool light (which will give a bit of a blue light).

Lots of threads regarding LED's here - use the search function at the top and choose the bottom search box (google) on the drop down box for the best results.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 03:54 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We have a 2014 Scamp 13 Standard with couch / bunk beds. We ordered the city water option package, and it came with 3 interior lights standard as well as a "porch" light. The 3 pancake style lights are mounted over the sink and one on each side of the overhead kitchen cabinet.

We added 2 swiveling reading lights. One is below the upper front cabinet, next to the entry door. It is very handy when entering the dark trailer at night. You can turn it on before entry to keep from fumbling around to find a light fixture. The other reading light is under the rear driver's side upper cabinet. Fine for reading in bed. We also ordered a pancake style light mounted on the ceiling just above the rear window. This would be handy for eating at the dinette table, games, etc. Another light we opted for was the "porch" light on the front of the trailer. This has proven very helpful when hitching up in the dark, or spotting your trailer when returning to it at night.

Shortly after we picked up our Scamp, I replaced all the interior and both porch lights with LED's. They are brighter, last forever, and use a fraction of the current an incandescent bulb uses. Here is the thread that explains that:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...eds-65947.html

Hope this helps.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:02 AM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
Our '98 Scamp was VERY dim. I put dual 12" LED strips under the dinette cabinet (they can be turned on as 1,2,1 and 2), and strips under the back cabinets and a shelf I stretched across the back. All 12V incandescents have been replaced with LED's. SHINY!
Gary, I'm interested in LED strip lights for our Scamp. Do you have a source for your's? Are you satisfied with them? I only need a 2 foot run, so I may need to shorten the string. Brightness is important, but I would also like to dim them when needed. I like your 1,2, 1and 2 solution. Thanks!

Tom
Old 10-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #10

Colorado
Registry
Thanks, Tom! I had looked at the showroom on the Scamp site, but it really didn't show all the lights. Definitely are going to use the LED...like you said in your post, they are more durable and will last for practically forever.

On the front "porch" light -- is it the same fixture as the one on the side?

Thanks again!

- Tony
Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #11

Michigan
Quote:

On the front "porch" light -- is it the same fixture as the one on the side?

Thanks again!

- Tony
Yes they're the same fixture. I bought an amber lens cover for the one next to the entry door at Camping World. It helps keeping the bugs away.

I think your doing the right thing by asking questions Tony. You'll get many opinions here. Figure out what's important to you, and order the trailer to suit your needs. You'll be happier with the final product.

Tom
Old 10-16-2014, 07:59 AM   #12

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
TomK... just look up "LED Light Strips" on eBay and you'll have a ton of options. There are two main ways to go. You can get the pre-made strips in a metal housing. They have leads already attached so all you have to do is add a switch. The other is LED's on a flexible strip. You cut to length, add a connector at the end, and add a switch. Make sure you get "warm white", or else you'll be basking in a harsh blue glow.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #13

Michigan
eBay. That's a good idea Gary. It would be nice to see the lights before buying to make sure they're bright enough, but maybe I'll get lucky. You're right about looking for warm white lights too. Thanks!

Tom
Old 10-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
In our 2014 scamp, the lighting is very good we do not feel like we are in a dinghy dark place, it lights up every thing that needs to be lit up. We were surprised that the other campers in the camp ground kept their campers so dark. Wife went out to the rest room in the dark, i asked, " did ya have any trouble finding the camper" She said, "nah, with all those giant motor homes, ours looks like a light bulb". Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Tony,

We've replaced all lights including the florescent with LED lighting. We like the higher contrast (non-yellow light of LEDS and their dramatically less current draw).

We have added two lights over the dinette/bed attaching them to the bottom of the over head cabinet, our most common sitting position.

We also have added a tilt-able LED strip over the stove/counter.

Each end of the couch has an LED spot light. One of these LED spots is attached to the Screen door frame. The other is attached to an over the couch cabinet.

I tapped into existing lighting's wiring to pick up 12 volts for these new LEDs. The wiring for the existing lighting can easily meet the current requirements of the LEDs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Tony,

We've replaced all lights including the florescent with LED lighting. We like the higher contrast (non-yellow light of LEDS and their dramatically less current draw).

We have added two lights over the dinette/bed attaching them to the bottom of the over head cabinet, our most common sitting position.

We also have added a tilt-able LED strip over the stove/counter.

Each end of the couch has an LED spot light. One of these LED spots is attached to the Screen door frame. The other is attached to an over the couch cabinet.

I tapped into existing lighting's wiring to pick up 12 volts for these new LEDs. The wiring for the existing lighting can easily meet the current requirements of the LEDs.
Norm,
Have you tried any of the LED lights on a dimmer? I was thinking that they might make an excellent night light. Any thoughts or suggestions?
thanks

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #17

Colorado
Registry
Thanks for the advice, guys! We have a '80s Scamp that had been completely gutted...all the way to the bare walls (See my thread in the Mods section entitled "Restoring the Haunted Mansion"). I am trying to get an idea how many and what kind of lights to plan for.... Definitely going with the 12v LED option. Since we are building from the bare walls, we have the option to do whatever we want...Just wasn't to make sure we have enough light!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 10-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Just wasn't to make sure we have enough light!
In the end that really depends on how you plan to use the trailer. For us it's more a hard-sided tent: a place to sleep at night, nap during the day, store and change clothes. We cook and eat outside, and spend most of the day doing "outside" stuff. Evenings are for campfires, right up to bedtime. So for us the minimal factory lighting is perfectly adequate. But if you will be cooking inside, you'll probably want more lighting in the kitchen work area. If you plan to stay up reading inside the trailer, you'll want to plan some adjustable high-output lights. If you will be touring for extended periods, or using the trailer much in inclement weather, you'll want more and flexible lighting.

Best to put in all the wiring now, while the walls are bare, even if you don't immediately plan to install a fixture. It's harder to add wires later, after the walls are covered.

One more recommendation (which I don't think has been mentioned yet; forgive me if I missed it)… you might consider adding a second set of taillights above the belly band and converting both sets to LEDs. Now's the time to do it because the wires run inside. The stock taillights are weak, and can be obscured if you put anything on the back of the trailer or if a tall vehicle is following too closely. There have been several recent reports of trailers being rear-ended, and the results aren't pretty!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Norm,
Have you tried any of the LED lights on a dimmer? I was thinking that they might make an excellent night light. Any thoughts or suggestions?
thanks

Our trailer has a number of small LEDs that are on all the time.... the Wi-Fi hotspot, the Sat receiver but most of all we use our Smartphone.

We use Ginny's smartphone as a night/alarm clock. It works very well...you can set the color and the intensity plus see the time.

At the same time the smartphone is being charged.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, scamp