Scamp13 owners, how many can they REALLY sleep? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
a 5 sleeper with 13 footer, that's awesome. making lifelong memories.

Also used a porta potti with a family of three for years with no problem. Keep us updated Christyn.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Alternatives

Christyn,

1. On our last trip to Newfoundland we met two couples from 'away' traveling thru NL in Mini-vans, part of the reason we just bought one. They are literal caves. As well they make great tow vehicles. They could easily provide secure, extra sleeping space.

2. Consider a Scamp 16, they are almost as easy to tow as a Scamp 13 and can easily sleep 4 people with it's two front bunks. As well it still has the side bath. (An advantage to the side bath is that it feels bigger with a front window.)

Frontal area is the primary load on the flat, not trailer weight. Trailer weight comes into play on hills and that is really a small percentage of travel time, minimally the uphill distance is equal to the downhill distance.

As many people have suggested, these trailers tow well. I've towed both a Scamp 13 and a Scamp 16 and they feel very similar. When your towing they virtually look the same behind you. Ginny says, what you feel is that someone is following awfully close.

What kind of traveling do you plan to do?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Stuff and 4-5 people and a dog..??

No matter how you look at your situation, you will have a full vehicle and lots of stuff in addition. I suggest that you need a small utility trailer for all your camping stuff and one or two big tents. Good tents not Walmart tents. Forget the 13' travel trailer. OR...get a Honda or Toyota minivan and a 16'/17' scamp/casita and let the children stay in the van.
Don't let your choices revolve around bears. We didn't get a trailer until we were 62. Before that it was tents on the north slope where every day it was 10 to 15 Grizzlies To Yellowstone and glacier and half a dozen western and eastern wild areas. Bears are not the boogeyman! But do pay attention to keeping your food and foodstuff secure.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #24

Name: Christyn
Trailer: Aliner
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
Let me throw out one more idea. If the kids are quite young, and nobody in the family is claustrophobic, it would be pretty easy to rig a bunk bed over the dinette bed. To make it simple, it would mean sacrificing the dinette for a permanent bed, but if the bath is priority #1, that is an option. If you go this route, NEVER FORGET to put down your rear stabilizers!!
Oh my goodness I'm overwhelmed with gratitude for everything mentioned here! Let me try to answer all the questions..

Paul we only have one kid now and he's not even a toddler yet so yes he and any others would definitely be young for a while. I can't believe you mentioned this, I was up till after 1am this morning wondering if we couldn't build a bunk over the main bed?! "losing" the dinette would be no loss for us, we are getting rid of furniture at home to spend more time on the ground anyway and I'd far rather everyone be outside if at all possible for eating etc. so I expect we would hardly ever even set up the dinette. Can you point me anywhere that someone has done such a thing? We both actually understand quite a bit and have construction experience, but on houses not fiberglass, I can't see how to build this thing! I think it could be a great option though, especially if the beds could be taken down during the day like the normal bunks can...
Christyn Midwestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #25

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Rather than tearing out the inside of the trailer for back-up sleeping space, look for a tow vehicle that could sleep a couple of people. Long before I owned a trailer, I used to sleep very comfortably in the back of my 1993 Subaru Legacy. We have a 2011 Honda Pilot now, and the back folds into a nice flat (slightly inclined) space that could sleep two if needed. I don't consider a mid-sized, V6-powered crossover (Pilot, Highlander, Santa Fe, Pathfinder, Explorer,...) overkill for a 13' egg when you're talking about bringing a whole family, extra camping equipment, toys, pets,... It would also leave open the option to trade up to a larger trailer later as your family grows and if you were so inclined. If you are willing to shop used, it wouldn't necessarily break the bank, either.
This is really a clever idea...I had forgotten how the SUV's often can fold flat in the back! I don't think it's ideal, but then again most of the time I would hope most of the family would be outside anyway, it's for parks with bears (as mentioned above) or really violent weather that a "back up" would be needed...also to answer the other mention about the hubby, hahaha, well he just wants to travel, likes to camp, doesn't care too much at all about sleeping in the trailer at this point...could that change? Yes I'm sure it could and that would be hard if we had just bought too small, I do want to avoid having to sell and upgrade if at all possible.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #26

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Christyn -

The standard engineer's answer is "It depends.". 😉
What size main bed are we talking about?
How big will the child become during ownership of this trailer?
Are you creative and willing and able to do mods?

A while back we briefly slept 5 in our Scamp13 with the 54" bed and the sofa/bunk beds.
We slept 5 in our Scamp13 with 54" bed - Fiberglass RV
(Hint: My wife and 2 teenage granddaughters slept in the 54" double bed.)

I have seen a mod where someone constructed a 54" tall bunk over the foot area of a 54" main bed.
Oh my goodness, do you have any contact/pictures/etc of that mod? We are very very creative and handy...I design interiors as well so this will not be a very standard trailer by the end one way or another . I would so love to see how they did that. I think also if possible we would get the 54" bed, I've been wondering, what gets smaller to make the bed bigger? Is the kitchenette smaller?
Old 08-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #27

Illinois
To try to answer the rest of the questions, our TV is rated as "no tow" I believe so apparently that will have to be addressed anyway (sigh!). I do think we would want to boondock as much as possible (why could you not use the shower? Can't you use a grey water tank?).

As far as the bathroom goes, the ability to bring a bathroom anywhere is SUPER key for us, we both hate public bathrooms (stayed in a lovely campground a while back tent-camping with a great set of facilities but just strongly dislike using them). I guess I'm just a creature who likes my own spaces...The shower would be great for just a super quick rinse at night to feel like there are no ticks crawling into bed with you (SHUDDER)...I realize I don't sound like the camping-est person and I certainly wouldn't say that I am, I love nature, but I have more than a reasonable respect for ticks and bears...really do, this trailer is my hubby's way of giving me a place to feel safe and still have adventures with the family . I am curious about the portapottis I keep hearing about...is it just a box you sit on and the waste goes onto the ground? Is it like a casette toilet? I could totally be swayed by voices of wisdom... Nighttime trips to the potty are not an issue, no one in our family has to get up at night hardly ever.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #28

Illinois
I should perhaps mention another reason for 'having all our bases covered' facility-wise is that neither of us plan well at all, it's far more likely we'd just start driving and stop in some town that is cute than plan a route...though I know you can't just take off with a trailer so perhaps we'd have to think ahead a little bit. We want to do impromptu weekend trips within 5 hrs mostly and just have a little home set up when we get there, not a huge fan of the RV parks, definitely more off-the-beaten-path-sorts
Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #29

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyn Midwestyn View Post
Oh my goodness, do you have any contact/pictures/etc of that mod? We are very very creative and handy...I design interiors as well so this will not be a very standard trailer by the end one way or another . I would so love to see how they did that. I think also if possible we would get the 54" bed, I've been wondering, what gets smaller to make the bed bigger? Is the kitchenette smaller?
The kitchenette and closet are 9" narrower. All deluxe models have the 54" bed. Starting 2014 it's also an option on the 13' standard.

I was looking for this and finally found it: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-55214.html
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #30

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The kitchenette and closet are 9" narrower. The deluxe models have the 54" bed. Standard models can have it as an option.

I was looking for this and finally found it: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-55214.html
Losing the closet space and kitchen space is no problem, wish I could eliminate the closet entirely!
Wow thank you so much for finding this! It looks like it works perfect for now but I wonder what their plan is when he is older...the construction is certainly simple enough but is the fiberglass shell able to support the extra weight? I assume a 'full' bunk bed over the dinette bed with a larger child or adult would certainly be too heavy to rely on the fiberglass and would need its own support framing?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #31

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
The beauty of that design is that it is readily removable and stowable, so the dinette can still be used. It would give you a 45' long bed, or 54" long if you got either a new model, or one with the wood interior. If you moved it to the other side, and put it at the appropriate height, you could extend the bunk out over the kitchen a bit as your child grows.

If you wanted to make a larger bunk, the fiberglass is pretty strong if you spread the stress out over enough area. If I were doing it, I would bond a wood cleat to the fiberglass around the area, using Gorilla Glue, and attach the bunk to that. But, a simpler way would be to just support it with slender legs down to the seat bases and floor below.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #32

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Christyn -

I was glad Jon was able to find that mod for you.
I'm not convinced that it is a great long term solution for you, but at
least now you have it.

Perhaps I missed your tow vehicle capability? I think that is important to
the discussion. The front bathroom, HW heater etc. added weight that I didn't think that I could afford. If you have not read the "Trailer Weights
in the Real World" thread, I would highly suggest it.

I equate most trailer bathrooms to the bathrooms found on airliners and
cruise ships .... barely big enough to be functional.

Like others, I hate blackwater issues, dump stations lines, etc.
I much prefer the flush toilets and larger showers of most campgrounds.
In the Robin Williams movie "RV", I found the segment where he is
dumping someone else's blackwater out of the rental RV both hilarious
and also humorously painful to watch.

For inclement weather and emergencies, we have found that a Little John,
Lady J, or porta-potty can usually fill the nighttime bathroom need.

I configured our Scamp13 for a tow vehicle with a published 1500lb tow
weight maximum. Pictures of our trailer can be found in the later segments
of the following thread:
Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...e-65096-3.html

We really like the larger 54" bed. And, when the dinette/bed remains down
on our longer treks with 1-night stop overs, we really like the availability
of the sofa to sit down on to change clothes, read a map (or book), or have
a meal on a portable table .... especially if there is inclement weather
outside.

Sleeping outside in a tent doesn't work well for a WalMart or Flying J
parking lot for catching just a little sleep (for free) before moving on to
our next longer term destination.

Although it may have been mentioned, I would highly suggest that you
try to attend a FGRV camping rally and look at as many units as you can.
You will see a great many examples of how people have purchased and/or
modified their trailers to suit their individual camping styles.

If you haven't found the YouTube videos for the CLAM Outdoors screen
rooms/tents, here are a couple to watch:

Good luck with your decisions!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #33

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Christyn,

Can you get by with using a portable shower instead of the installed front bath version? I did a modification installing a portable front shower while retaining the bunks and the porta-potti. It would allow you to have a shower as well as having both bunks for future use. The thread is here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-68763.html

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #34

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Christyn,

There is a Algonac rally coming up soon in the Midwest. Also, there is a really nice
LBL (Land Between the Lakes) rally down by the Kentucky/Tennessee border.

As Dennis Archer pointed out at the last LBL rally, most all of the trailer bathroom
toilets are really in effect porta-potties with a larger blackwater holding tank
mounted on the bottom of the trailer. They are not like your porcelain facilities at
home. A couple of the top brands of porta-potties seem to be the Thetford and Scamp-offered Dometic. You can find descriptions of how to use those out on YouTube.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #35

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would just go with the front bunk/couch, with Porta-Pottie under the center storage. Zodi shower system, pop up shower tent/changing room to use it in.

Nice thing about a porta-pottie you can empty them just about any toilet from the outhouse at a rustic park to the toilets at a rest area.

Those Zodi showers take up little space and if water is recycled into the bucket for a bit can take snow melt water up to shower temps. Use the water system in camper and for at least some of your personal hygiene you can just wash up.

http://www.amazon.com/ZODI-Outback-G.../dp/B000X4IAMS might be available for less from Costco if you are a member and they make a less expensive model.

Just an example of the type of shower/toilet changing tent I was talking about not a model I personally endorse, ask around a fair number of folks have used them.
Amazon.com : DEALKOO Portable Pop up Tent Camping Beach Toilet Shower Changing Room Outdoor : Sports & Outdoors

One huge advantage of the bunks is you either have a place to sit (or nap) separate from dining table/bed. OR you have a bottom bunk for child and can use the top as a big shelf/storage area while parked. Clothes for 3 can easily be accessed if stored on the top bunk. It is only at window height.

As kids get older they move out into a tent and all your other camping equipment and routine remains the same. I know us kids (the boys anyway) wanted to be out there as soon as we were allowed. Pretty sure did not break mom and dads heart to have us shaven house apes outside. May have been a small concern that we would give the wildlife no peace but....
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #36

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Christyn,

Can you get by with using a portable shower instead of the installed front bath version? I did a modification installing a portable front shower while retaining the bunks and the porta-potti. It would allow you to have a shower as well as having both bunks for future use. The thread is here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-68763.html

Jim
Jim oh my goodness I'm going through your thread and it's blowing my mind! There's really no end to the creativity you can have in these little guys, I'm totally squirreling this info away. I really need to learn how these port-potties work, I was under the impression they were "outside only", but yours is obviously meant to be used inside, I'm intrigued by your shower as well...genius
Old 08-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #37

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I second Norm's point about front bath units being much darker without the large front window. I have owned both and was surprised how much more closed in it feels. The windows are pretty small anyway and I miss the front window. Still we are outside most of the time so its of little matter and we love the front bath. Just saying.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #38

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
This will work with one or two small children (under 4ft)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0090.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #39

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Christyn,

"I'm intrigued by your shower as well...genius". Thank you for those very nice words, I owe it all to my mentor, Y. Lee Coyote!
Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:28 AM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Answer to Post #9

"if the closet to the left of the door when you walk in was removed"

DON'T DO IT.

The seats in the four corners, and the closet and kitchen are glassed in for a reason. THEY ARE STRUCTURAL.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp