13 Scamp Bunk Bed Screws? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #1

Name: Jacob
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
13 Scamp Bunk Bed Screws?

I'm new to the forum (though I've been trolling for a couple of weeks) and a new Scamp owner. This community seems really friendly and helpful. I'm glad to be joining.

Okay, my first newbie question:
I picked up a fairly well restored 1979 13' Scamp and was looking at the bunk beds. The hardware all seems to be there except screws or hooks that the top bunk attaches to poles. The cushions have been reupholstered.

On the Scamp website they show and say something about screws that the hooks on the pole attach to. I'm just wondering what was original and what people use if they replace the originals.

If I have to put a couple holes in the upholstery, should I put grommets to keep the fabric from ripping?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
FlintBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
13 Scamp Bunk Bed Screws?

Just screw right through the upholstery into the plywood. That's how the factory did mine, and after 7 years, there's no sign the upholstery is tearing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk Screw.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	87422

It doesn't look too substantial but has proved very solid, and my 12 year-old uses the upper bunk all he time. You'll want to add a bunk rail. I made a simple one out of PVC pipe (with a wooden dowel inside the long section for more strength).

Name:	Scampy Int Bunks.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	87421

Name:	Bunkrail 1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	87420

Name:	Bunkrail 2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	87419
The safety rail and support posts store neatly on the ledge under the window when in sofa mode.

Name:	Bunk Storage.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	87423
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #3

Michigan
Jon in AZ,

That's pretty simple. And thanks for the pictures of the bedrail. I was planning to add something and it was along similar lines, but not nearly so elegantly simple.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Since I did the rail I have learned that the space between the mattress and the rail should be no more than 4" to prevent entrapment with a younger child. Mine might be a little more than that, but since my kids are bigger, I haven't bothered to check.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #5

Michigan
Ah, thanks. Mine are almost 10 and almost 7, so they would be fine, but that's good advice. I can build it that way. By the way, did you take off the plastic cap from the original posts to put the copper fitting on? Are those custom posts? Thanks.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlintBound View Post
...By the way, did you take off the plastic cap from the original posts to put the copper fitting on? Are those custom posts? Thanks.
They are the factory posts and yes, I removed the caps.

Tags
scamp