It Started as a Kitchen Reno- Project Boler - Page 18 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 04:45 PM   #341

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
Indescribably i m p r e s s e d !

I still can't believe I actually read every single page of this long thread . . .

However, it was well worth it! I am so very impressed at how and why you turned a good idea into a adventurous journey and then . . . a love affair!

Congratulations on your accomplishments. Your Boler is a beauty! The account of your journey has inspired me to get work on my own project (16' Scamp project.

Wishing you many safe and joyous camping trips!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #342

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
The water system uses an external 5 gallon insulated cooler that I installed a quick connect fitting in place of the spigot. The braided steel line leads directly to the electric water pump. We have used this system for the past 2 years and it works great, easy to refill, in really hot weather we add a block of ice.

Do you have instructions on how to build your external water supply? I dont like having a water tank because you cant ckean them and they get a bad taste.

Thank you
Old 03-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #343

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
That is seriously impressive! I look forward to the interior photos :-)
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #344

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
Hi Ian,
This is the first time I've looked through the thread you posted of your most amazing renovation! Looks fantastic! It looks as though you replaced the original flashing above the door with a new one that matches the curve of the door. Is that correct? If so, what is the new one made from and did you have it done somewhere else or do that yourself? Also, where did you get your custom "C-channel" steel for your new frame? Was this something easy to find?
Thanks!
Shanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #345

Name: Shannon
Trailer: 1975 13' Boler
British Columbia
One more question....
I was looking at the photos of your new frame and Flexiride axle and wondering how you bolted the new axle to the frame...it looks like you have supporting pieces in the C-channel where the bolts are going through the frame. How did you access the nuts?
Thanks again Ian
Shanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #346
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanos View Post
Hi Ian,
This is the first time I've looked through the thread you posted of your most amazing renovation! Looks fantastic! It looks as though you replaced the original flashing above the door with a new one that matches the curve of the door. Is that correct? If so, what is the new one made from and did you have it done somewhere else or do that yourself? Also, where did you get your custom "C-channel" steel for your new frame? Was this something easy to find?
Thanks!
Thank Shannon
The rain door Drip Cap is a standard RV item available through any RV Parts store. Many are made by Grace Manufacturing and available in a range of lengths. Just measure the one currently on your door or the width you want covered and buy the one closest to that size. Even available through Amazon just check prices as these are very cheap and I see a number of listings with greatly inflated price.

The "custom C channel" has to be made by a fabrication shop. The shop will take 1/8" thick steel plate and bend it into the C shape. This approach is used because it gives the strength required but has a greatly reduced weight when compared to 6" structural C channel. The fabricated C channel like I used weighs 4.25 lbs per foot, excluding any braces or gussets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanos View Post
One more question....
I was looking at the photos of your new frame and Flexiride axle and wondering how you bolted the new axle to the frame...it looks like you have supporting pieces in the C-channel where the bolts are going through the frame. How did you access the nuts?
Thanks again Ian
On the top of the lower C channel web where the axle mounts 1/2" nuts are welded on, then the boxed sections are added to strengthen the axle mount area. The axle then bolts directly from underneath into the blind nuts.

Hope this answers your questions.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, cabinets, custom, frame, renovation