Rebuild of 13 ft Boler - Kitimat, BC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1970's Boler, 1970 Bluebird Wanderlodge and 1999 Georgetown
British Columbia
Rebuild of 13 ft Boler - Kitimat, BC

Well, I started on the rebuild today.
First, I will be doing a complete restoration and modification to what we think we need, but I will be reading all of the posts that many of you have posted.

I will be towing this boler and toad behind our Bluebird Wanderlodge, so it will be used for short jaunts from our Wanderlodge "home".

About the Boler, since I do not have the registration, I do not know what year it was made in, but I will get the registration eventually and before I put a lot of cash into the restoration.

The Boler has a large crack from the drivers side rear window to the vent. It also has a crack over the same wheel area.

The ensolite was hanging down, and is very mouldy. The cupboard doors which are particle board with film on it, are all swelled up. Both the front and rear plexiglass windows are sanded.

Ok, now the good parts - hmmmI hate all the rivets and screws through the fiberglass - that is gonna be changed. Oh yes the good parts. Well I have all the pieces as templates.

Today, I took the rear seats/bed out, one back and the rear window, and removed 1/2 of the ensolite. Yup there was lots of water built up between the body and ensolite.

Will send you pics and keep you informed of what is happening.
1999 Forest River Georgetown 325
Bill Schreurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I hope you didn't tear the ensolite. It can be reglued and the mold can be eradicated.

I've done it: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...can-25724.html

From the description of the crack, I'd be checking the frame. Or your trailer may have met an accident or falling tree or heavy snow load at some time.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #3

British Columbia

Roy:
Although I did give it some extra cuts, it is generally in the large shapes that it was originally in. I was going to use them as the template.
I don't know what caused it, but it has been like that for some time.
The trailer has not moved since I moved next door, that is now 5 years.

Taking off the ensolite I also discovered that some of the wood holding the seats and table on is completely rotten, so this will be replaced as well.
I am still stripping and will post some pics tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:06 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=Bill Schreurs;555189]
I will be towing this boler and toad behind our Bluebird Wanderlodge, so it will be used for short jaunts from our Wanderlodge "home".QUOTE]

I just have to ask, are these both going on a flat bed trailer? Have never seen a combo like that as a double tow. No idea of what is legal your way. Here in Calif they outlawed double towing using bumper to bumper connections. It can still be done but you now have to have a commercial license and the first trailer has to be a 5th wheel hook up with brakes. That change bit me in '96 on a trip to Lake Powell, had the license but my tug was a class A. Ended up having a family member drive my truck for launch/retrieve of the jet ski.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I hope you didn't tear the ensolite. It can be reglued and the mold can be eradicated.

I've done it: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...can-25724.html

From the description of the crack, I'd be checking the frame. Or your trailer may have met an accident or falling tree or heavy snow load at some time.
I agree with Roy, try to save the ensolite, replacing it is a very large job.
Cracks in the fiberglass are an indication of stress and as mentioned usually caused by a bent, twisted or broken frame, and also include accident impact or snow load This may also help you identify the cause. Boler Buyer’s Guide
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #6

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Bill, I believe that it is illegal in BC to tow more than one vehicle. All the signs coming in from Alberta say so. Did find this interesting site on what should be towing what. Pulling a trailer behind a fifth wheel? - Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum
Happy restoration.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #7

British Columbia
Rebuild of 13 ft Boler - Kitimat,

Hi Ian, sorry I missed you in Calgary. Instead of heading to Calgary, we spent extra time in Lethbridge with a friend, glad I did as she passed away three days later.

Roy and Ian: The damage to the trailer could have been anthing. We do get a lot of snow and I saw approx 5 feet of snow on it last year, but that should not have made it crack in one area??
After reading many posts one of the items which I was going to do was to remove the frame and rebuild it. I am also thinking of putting on Axless axles, but will see when time gets closer.
Ian, do you have a drawing of your new frame?
As far as the ensolite, I have removed most of it in pieces as original.
While working inside the Boler, it felt like I was getting rained on, but the Boler is inside the garage?? When I was taking down the sagging part I noticed a lake on top of the ensolite, ahhh yes I got wet LOL.

Dave and Claire: As far as having the Boler and toad behind my Bluebird, yes it will be on a flatdeck trailer. Thanks for looking after me.

Well, off to the garage and take some more of it apart, then hopefully tonight I will post some pictures.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Schreurs View Post
Hi Ian, sorry I missed you in Calgary. Instead of heading to Calgary, we spent extra time in Lethbridge with a friend, glad I did as she passed away three days later.

Roy and Ian: The damage to the trailer could have been anthing. We do get a lot of snow and I saw approx 5 feet of snow on it last year, but that should not have made it crack in one area??
After reading many posts one of the items which I was going to do was to remove the frame and rebuild it. I am also thinking of putting on Axless axles, but will see when time gets closer.
Ian, do you have a drawing of your new frame?
Hi Bill

I am glad you were able to spend time with your friend, my deepest sympathies.

Yes that amount of snow could cause the cracking.
The attached link provides full details on the frame with drawing and measurements Boler Frame
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #9

British Columbia

Thanks Ian.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Taking off the ensolite I also discovered that some of the wood holding the seats and table on is completely rotten, so this will be replaced as well.
I am still stripping and will post some pics tomorrow.
I suspect you will find issues with the floor as well. If so, that might mimic frame issues.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #11

British Columbia

As I mentioned to you earlier, I would post pics.

The damage, stripping of the ensolite and removing of all the furniture,
In addition to the cracks, the boards which help hold the table, seats etc up, these are the ones fiberglassed to the wall, are all rotten - more work.
OOPS the second pic is sidways, sorry.
And some pics of animals where I work.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6146.JPG   IMG_6147.JPG  

IMG_6155.JPG   IMG_6150.JPG  

IMG_6024.JPG   IMG_6030.JPG  

IMG_6046.JPG  
Old 11-19-2015, 12:42 AM   #12

British Columbia

Well, I continue ripping the little trailer apart. Everything has been removed and am now brushing off with a steel wheel the extra insulation and glue.

On the outside of the trailer, where the two pieces meet, there is a plastic piece covering the area. Since it is fiberglassed together inside, is it possible to cut the outside off and make it one smooth body? Reason -the plastic strip is cracked etc and the screws are rusted in place, with some new screws sticking out.
This of course would be refiberglassed on the outside to make it one unit. Inside the trailer I am thinking of fiberglassing strips of wood for strengthing and so none of the cupboards/seats etc will have to be fastened through the fiberglass.

Another question- the floor. It appears that the floor pan was built and put into place before the top part of the trailer was installed? Should this floor pan be fiberglassed in place? I haven't quite finished taking it apart, what would be under the floor pan - wood?

Thanks for all your help so far.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Since it is fiberglassed together inside, is it possible to cut the outside off and make it one smooth body? Reason -the plastic strip is cracked etc and the screws are rusted in place, with some new screws sticking out.
This of course would be refiberglassed on the outside to make it one unit. Inside the trailer I am thinking of fiberglassing strips of wood for strengthing and so none of the cupboards/seats etc will have to be fastened through the fiberglass.

Another question- the floor. It appears that the floor pan was built and put into place before the top part of the trailer was installed? Should this floor pan be fiberglassed in place? I haven't quite finished taking it apart, what would be under the floor pan - wood?

Thanks for all your help so far.
Yes you can remove what is referrred to as the belly band & glass over it, it has been done just search the forums here and you can find the post with pictures, as I recall you couldn't tell it was 2 pieces when the OP was done. And yes most all of the floors in FBRV are fiberglassed in some manner or another, most are glassed to the body and some are totally encapsullated in glass. I believe the 2nd is best as it gives more protection from the wood rotting....
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #14

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Bill!!! are you still working on this gem? Im from Terrace and just purchased what I believe to be a 1971 Boler (no registration plate) and would love to chat or meet!

Nicole Hendry
bbybtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #15

British Columbia

Nicole:
I have been working on this gem.
I have stripped the inside, and removed all of the insulation/glue etc.
I also built a frame on the inside so the body stays in shape, all of the parts are inside of it, and now has been tarped for the winter.
I have plenty of pics though.
I would like to chat or meet as well. I work a week on and a week off in Kemano, off to work tomorrow.

My email is tulipvendor50@yahoo.ca

Send an email and we can set time or place.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #16

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Looks like fun project, looking forward to more pictures.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #17

British Columbia

Well it has been a while since I posted about this gem.
Due to the excessive damage on the shell, the ensolite had to go. I now have a bare shell.
As seen in the previous pics, there is even more damage, but being fiberglass it is an easy fix -relatively easy.
The shell has been taken off the frame, the frame is a C channel and not box frame, yet the boler is registered as a 74. The frame needs work, and that is progressing slowly. I am also putting on a new axleless axle with brakes.

The floor seems to be intact, but I do need to take a closer look at it.
I have many ideas but not sure how it will all end.

Here are some pics of where it stands right now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6498.JPG   IMG_6500.JPG  

IMG_6503.JPG   IMG_6502.JPG  

Old 11-18-2016, 10:00 PM   #18

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Boler 1970 13'
Florida
Current status?

What's up with this project? How did you choose to skin the inside after all of the fiberglass repair work is completed? I'm curious because I have a 1970 13' Boler with the ensolite removed throughout and I'm exploring all options for insulation and liner.
Kzooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:53 PM   #19

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
Kzooky
Replacing the headliner or ensolite is a relatively big job best accomplished when the shell is empty. Effectively gluing to the ceiling is difficult for a couple of reasons, working overhead in a low, cramped space and dealing with gravity being the biggest.
I removed, traced and replaced my carpet style headliner. Cleaning the old dried glue off of the shell interior was awkward and laborious. It took a few days of intense work. I used outdoor carpet glue that I picked up at my local flooring store. I bought my headliner from a fellow Boler owner who had redone his trailer as well. I simply used a scraper or a flat screwdriver to tuck the carpet behind the cabinets that I did not remove.
I see you are from Florida, so I assume you are thinking about insulation, mine didn't come with any and I didn't put any back in. It does get hot up here in the summers and there is some condensation to contend with, but I don't know if insulation would stop that from happening.
I will say what I always try and state. A headliner can be replaced if you are a handy, dedicated DIY'r. I am not advising people to go and rip out their ensolite, but if it is already gone then here is an alternate solution.
Best of luck !
Jay

Sent from my iPod touch using Fiberglass RV
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler