Just bought a boler...omg what have i done - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 12:34 AM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I just did my axle, about $300 and 4 bolts.
Maybe a couple- 300 on the frame to shore it up.
That equals about 3-4 nights in a motel.
Don't give up too easily.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:56 AM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
try for a motel 6 as much cheaper than others

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
I just did my axle, about $300 and 4 bolts.
Maybe a couple- 300 on the frame to shore it up.
That equals about 3-4 nights in a motel.
Don't give up too easily.
Fred
: stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #23

Name: munroe
Trailer: 2 X Triple E
Saskatchewan
I bought parts from Scamp trailers in Backus, minnesota. They are the same exact trailer.
jmunroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #24

Name: pat
Trailer: MITY LITE
British Columbia
Thanks ! Back to my bouncy or spungy feel as I was towing it...I just checked tire pressure. They are 13 rims with 55/80R13 tires that are supposed to be at 35psi. They are at 19psi....I wonder if that's the reason....
spaghettiroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #25

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
The tire pressure certainly didn't help things. But like others have said, don't give up! From the pic of the trailer itself she's too cute to quit on. And if it's a project, try seeing it as an adventure. Ok, this month I've saved x amount of dollars, added to what I have, now I can look into x repair. It can all be done over time as your budget allows. Don't forget to search this site for help. If you have a repair need, sure bet someone else has done it before and posted. Often with a step by step or detailed narrative and pics. Don't quit on her! She'll be a sweet little trailer in time, patience, research and yes elbow grease.

Warmth,
Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #26

British Columbia
Thanks ! The remorse stage is over ! I will be removing the show to assess the frame I do know the torsion suspension will need to be replaced. The frame has already been sistered in the front with other reinforced areas. Notice the crack is right after the weld at the next weakest point. I will be taking more pics of the frame this weekend and let this site decide it's fate. I already of a "904 frame and 400 for torsion suspension Which I thought was a fair price from a local RV dealer
Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #27

British Columbia
Boler plan for frame TBA....

Notice crack at next weakest point. To weld or scrap ....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 11-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Pat, For awhile Escape trailers was helping folks with cracked frames and axle replacements on Bolers but they are they are apparently not doing that type of work currently due to how busy their build schedule is with their own trailers.

You may want to contact E&H Hitch in Burnaby (Near Royal Oak & Kingsway) and see if they may be willing to do some frame repair for you. I know they have a good rep doing hitches but they also have a large welding shop so they may be willing to help you out. Never know they may also be to help you out re the new axle as well. If they can't help you out ask them who they would recommend for that type of work.

Edit to add: You could also send and email to Escape asking if they could recommend an axle repair shop and a frame builder/welder in the valley as I know they have in the past outsourced some of that work so they may have someone to refer you to and they would no doubt be less expensive than anyone closer to our area.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #29

British Columbia
Escape would build frame 900.00 BUT not install on shell anymore...Too many issues with tweaking sagging shell onto new frame....they also quoted 400 for torsion raised suspension. Pretty good pricing BUT on my own for INSTALL of shell.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #30

Trailer: 74 Boler (wip)
Hi Pat,
I rebuilt my entire trailer a few years back, replaced the axle and had the frame checked out. Took it out early this year and the frame cracked right off. I used the dimensions from Ian G. website he did an awesome job on his trailer, found a guy on Craigslist to make me the frame based on the drawing, my cost was about 1400.00 for the frame I reused my existing axle and box, I also added a second propane tank. Taking the trailer off the frame was not very difficult, you need to find the screws or bolts that hold it down and then lift the trailer off of the frame, I used 2x4s like train tracks and ran the hubs on top of them without the wheels to remove the frame. Putting the new frame back was a bit tougher because I guess the fiberglass had formed to the shape of the old frame which may have been bent a bit. So I plopped the trailer onto the new frame and let it sit for a bit, also drove it over a few speed bumps and it settled flat. Then I bolted it down. Took it on its first trip this year to Tofino and it worked like a champ.
Attached Thumbnails
2015-05-29 11.12.59.jpg   2015-06-18 06.57.46.jpg  

2015-06-20 20.17.06.jpg   2015-08-18 12.11.29.jpg  

cdimarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:09 PM   #31

British Columbia
Wow..Nice looking job. Upon further inspection all 6 bolts securing shel to frame in front were missing ! OMG as it was towed 5 hrs from Vernon to North Vanc. Interior is dry. Will be ripping apart in the spring. Going to leave front couch. Toying with narrowing kitchen and cabinet by 8 inches to make way for larger bed. All windows to be re-sealed. Curious are front and rear windows plexiglass 1/8 or 1/4 in width? My frame looks to have been reinforced in the front with no signs as to why other than precautionary. Rear of frame good just surface rust. Will need new Dexter axle and not sure how best to order...Directly from Dexter? Best place in Vancouver to purchase ?
Old 12-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #32

Name: David
Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiroad View Post
Wow..Nice looking job. Upon further inspection all 6 bolts securing shel to frame in front were missing ! OMG as it was towed 5 hrs from Vernon to North Vanc. Interior is dry. Will be ripping apart in the spring. Going to leave front couch. Toying with narrowing kitchen and cabinet by 8 inches to make way for larger bed. All windows to be re-sealed. Curious are front and rear windows plexiglass 1/8 or 1/4 in width? My frame looks to have been reinforced in the front with no signs as to why other than precautionary. Rear of frame good just surface rust. Will need new Dexter axle and not sure how best to order...Directly from Dexter? Best place in Vancouver to purchase ?
I put a new axle with brakes on our 1972 Boler 1300. Jim at Pacific Axle in Langley, BC built it for us with splines on the torsion arms so that you can adjust the ride height. It was $600 plus tax after a little negotiating. Without brakes knocks off about $150 but I recommend that you splash out for the brakes.
greenghost45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #33

British Columbia
Boler furnace to be replaced.

Picked up this smaller furnace and should fit above wheel well ! Should create space for more storage or......
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 12-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #34

British Columbia
How's that new jack working out ? Do you leave the wheel on when in tow ?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #35

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
If you are willing to cross the border, Six Roblees has a branch in Bellingham Wa. I purchased an axle from them in Portland Or. and installed it myself. They treated me very well and had everything in stock. They do not install but could probably refer you to a welding shop if needed. They are a Dexter Stocking distributor with lots of product on the shelf .
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #36

British Columbia
That's what I'm after....Dexter stock over the border and with only 4 bolts should be cheap to have them install what I ordered from them....
Old 12-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #37

Name: David
Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
That's what I'm after....Dexter stock over the border and with only 4 bolts should be cheap to have them install what I ordered from them....
The new axle that I had made bolted in; no welding required. I unbolted the old one and bolted the new one in. Getting the old bolts out was the hardest part of the job.
greenghost45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #38

British Columbia
I've heard the 4 bolts can be a bugger....How much was the dexter #9 ?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #39

Quote:
How's that new jack working out ? Do you leave the wheel on when in tow ?
The jack is great, yes I remove the wheel when traveling. I used to have the one that bolts on on the side of the frame but it got in the way of the second propane tank. I saw this one from someone on the boler Facebook page
Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Thanks, I replaced all of the window I got them from a company in Summerland, Sun-View Industries. This was about 6 years ago, I got the details from another member on this forum. I called, gave the sizes, they added them to a delivery they were making on Winston St. in Burnaby and I went met the driver and picked them up. The plexi-glass windows I had made tinted, took the old ones off and took them to a place on Minoru in Richmond. They used the old ones a a template to make the new ones, but like I said this was about 6 years ago and I don't even know if they are still there. I will see if I can find the invoices with some more details. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0044.jpg  

Tags
boler